catbref

interactive environment - initially gas canisters

When I play some maps I keep seeing these white gas canisters but sadly they do nothing when I shoot them. Even worse, hiding behind one can protect you from bullets! (Did search for ages but couldn't find pic, sorry)

Could an exploding version be implemented? Hoping this would add a bit more realism/tactics and also a bit more 'fun' in the gameplay sense.

I'm sure we've all seen movies where someone can't shoot at their target direct and so change the situation by shooting a fire extinguisher?

Obviously exploding would be a one-time action during a round as respawning a gas canister doesn't really make sense.

Maybe only some of the canisters could be explosive, even randomized each round.

Some could explode, some could emit 'gas' like a thinner, whiter smoke grenade.

Other items could also lend themselves to being made interactive.

This isn't really in the same league as destructible buildings which I think the devs said aren't going to happen?

1 hour ago, catbref said:

This isn't really in the same league as destructible buildings which I think the devs said aren't going to happen?

^ Probably this..... 

13 hours ago, catbref said:

I'm sure we've all seen movies where someone can't shoot at their target direct and so change the situation by shooting a fire extinguisher?

No, tanks. Er, thanks

Propane gas tanks are actually used very often in basic IEDs. Should be natural to have som kind of explosive reaction albeit maybe not doom-style but more "flamish". Also agree environment is kinda dead and boring. How about doors and windows made out of glass that breaks when you shoot at it. Physx could probably render that easily without tying down cpu. 

I really like the idea. This should definitely be implemented. I can already see the Insurgents marksmen sitting and waiting for that sweet sweet opportunity on Al Basrah.

+1 

Fuel canister explodes near a player and we see flaming clothing with slow damage.

Player stays on fire until he goes prone for a few seconds.

Would be funny to see a few players on fire at once.

Happy to have this instead of anti infantry mines as they would require some skill and patience.

How about a roll-able barrel or gas canister? 

"Roll it"

"Open Fire"

Whoosh [Screams]

too graphic :)

Just assume these are discarded, empty gas cylinders. Problem solved :)

PS. IRL the only way to get these to explode reliably is to attach a large explosive charge to them ;). Otherwise they just vent a bit of mist, but nothing like a smoke nade.

wot tatzhit said ^

shooting Gas/LPG Cylinders with 'guns' makes them explode in a ball of fire.

- for Tactics could be interesting ...  i guess ...

- for Realism, absolutely not. Gas/LPG Cylinders don't do this and i'm confident Gas/Petrol Tanks don't either.

some small reference: http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/365-busting-media-mythology-lpg-gas-bottles

sorry, just another of the numerous unrealistic Hollywood-isms.

Regarding this issue, I thought I had read a dev said 'destructable environment' is somewhat server-heavy and might not be suitable ATM....

Can someone verify so that I am not tripping b/c I am so sleep deprived rn..

I vaguely remember the devs saying "destructible environment" was a no-go because of the extra load too.

But I thought maybe small objects, like gas canisters, would be OK, easy and low-load. After all, it wouldn't be that much different from a wrecked vehicle blowing up, if not actually using fewer game resources. (Vehicles have more physics, flags like 'can player enter this?', etc. to swap out when blown up)?

On 11/13/2017 at 10:59 PM, suds said:

Happy to have this instead of anti infantry mines as they would require some skill and patience.

Back at it again with the anti-preaching of anti infantry mines

They do require skill and are realistic, most of the fighters in syria die because of anti-infantry mines/IEDs.

I opened up a thread about it a while ago and you were the only one who didn't want them, hmmm

pfft

Look mum I can place device and push the button. Do you love me?