Gatzby

Alpha 9.14

1 hour ago, Root said:

Yup, every update sees a considerable drop. Now it performs slightly better than Arma, which is disappointing.

This is how iterative development works. They've actually been kind enough (or smart enough, if you look at it from a "satisfied customers" pov) to provide intermediary performance-focused releases in the past (2 major ones), but after those releases, new features are added, different systems are tweaked, unoptimized statics/maps are added to the game.. all this starts to degrade performance again until the next optimization pass. 

If bugs or bad performance are disappointing for you, perhaps early access is not the best way for you to enjoy the games that you play :) 

12 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

This is how iterative development works. They've actually been kind enough (or smart enough, if you look at it from a "satisfied customers" pov) to provide intermediary performance-focused releases in the past (2 major ones), but after those releases, new features are added, different systems are tweaked, unoptimized statics/maps are added to the game.. all this starts to degrade performance again until the next optimization pass. 

If bugs or bad performance are disappointing for you, perhaps early access is not the best way for you to enjoy the games that you play :) 

I know exactly what alpha is as Squad isn't my first pledge/early access game (SC anyone?), so I understand quite well that this is how it happens and that general optimization comes far later. I only said it was disappointing to have your performance tank (and tank and tank) and it is disappointing (well, maybe not to people with 3k systems). I would find it quite impossible should you say it isn't. Though stating this shouldn't be read as me attacking the game either, or disregarded entirely just because it is alpha. You still have to have some sort of optimization, even if it is small.

28 minutes ago, Root said:

I only said it was disappointing to have your performance tank (and tank and tank) and it is disappointing (well, maybe not to people with 3k systems). I would find it quite impossible should you say it isn't. Though stating this shouldn't be read as me attacking the game either, or disregarded entirely just because it is alpha. You still have to have some sort of optimization, even if it is small.

Perhaps it's because I am a software developer as well, that I don't feel any disappointment whatsoever because I knew exactly what I was getting myself into when purchasing this early access game. I know that my (team's) software is definitely not pleasant to use before we even hit the "feature complete" milestone, and so to have seen these devs pour hours into optimization at these intermediary steps has been something I respect a great deal. 

I do feel disappointed if/when there are game breaking bugs like being unable to launch the game or people who are getting kicked by EAC, as having it "working" is kind of the minimum standard that should be adhered to :P. I will point out again that there have been two major optimization passes, one in just the last few months, so it's not like they're not doing some sort of optimization

And hopefully you didn't take my final point in the previous post the wrong way, I didn't mean to imply that "you don't belong here if you complain" or something like that, just that feeling disappointment over something that is inevitable is just setting yourself up for a pretty long, uphill battle of emotions with the game, which is why I will suggest to people that they come back and evaluate the game when it hits RC status at the earliest. :) 

Edited by Psyrus

14 hours ago, DanielNL said:

Wait, don't you own Squad? O_O

I do own squad

13 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

@Psyrus can you please answer my question on page 1 ? :)

He might have just missed the map since some server might have taken out of rotation due to known issues...

Since I don't see a better place to ask this 

Is the server browser going to get "fixed"?Is it planned to work in real time-it's about 3 minutes behind with current map and player count.I hate joining a 60 people server only to see 15v15 once I load in