[TDP] Wilson

Thoughts on these Specs

New build about to get for Squad. Any input on what FPS to expect? I’m currently running 30ish FPS on my build. Thank you for your feedback!

2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti
6GB DDR3 Ram (expandable to 16GB)
Intel i5 4690k

Stretch your budget for the 1060.

You really want 8Gb min for Squad to work half decently.

Squad likes CPU high ipc so overclock your 4690k if you have not already done so. It's expected for 'k' chips.

If you can afford one a SSD really brings a zip to any PC. A HDD is the biggest bottleneck on boot, game loading and any other program as well.

As for fps you didn't specify any resolution or settings so I'll guess around 40-50 fps @ 1080p with high settings.

Is this a second hand rig?

The specs don't seem very up to date for a "new build"

7 hours ago, banOkay said:

HDD, i5 4th gen and DDR3 in 2017 looks pretty bad.

Don't get me triggered lol

On a serious note,Haswell, 4th Gen is still running strong... I'd say it's gonna run strong at least 2 more years or so.. 

In 2017 it is much better performance wise and price/IPS/IPC wise to get Skylake or Kaby Lake and DDR4.

Edited by Skul

5 hours ago, samwiseOrigin said:

Don't get me triggered lol

On a serious note,Haswell, 4th Gen is still running strong... I'd say it's gonna run strong at least 2 more years or so.. 

As true as this is, I would only recommend going 4th gen if you want to buy used hardware, otherwise it really makes no sense to not use the 6/7/8th gen of the Intel platform. (Or maybe even go for a nice Ryzen 5/B350 Mainboard/CPU Bundle)

EDT: Forgot to mention this, but maybe it is something OP has to know, if you want to use Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 you have to go with 6th gen or older to get official Windows Updates, otherwise you have to use Windows 10.

5 hours ago, samwiseOrigin said:

IPC hasn't changed much in the past few years with intel. If you can clock your cpu close to the latest & greatest your not losing much performance. DDR4 & motherboard spec bring some gains but not enough to really justify. The only real thing worth the upgrade is more cores as we move to a better multithreaded future (thanks AMD) and your GPU if your PC is mainly for gaming. 

1 hour ago, koschilein said:

As true as this is, I would only recommend going 4th gen if you want to buy used hardware, otherwise it really makes no sense to not use the 6/7/8th gen of the Intel platform. (Or maybe even go for a nice Ryzen 5/B350 Mainboard/CPU Bundle)

Very true

In fact, My brother got my rigged for me. All freshed out almost 2 and a half years ago... I only changed my CPU and GPU as time passed by. I will be getting another gens when times come..lol

1 hour ago, Major Trouble said:

The only real thing worth the upgrade is more cores as we move to a better multithreaded future (thanks AMD) and your GPU if your PC is mainly for gaming. 

^

Any SSD would be a great addition. 

I appreciate the input gents. Basically my change would be moving from a Steam Machine (i7) model with Windows 10. I’ve tried to overclock the CPU and that caused some issues as it is the lower power model. That being said the model I’m looking at looks like a nice change. And yes it is used hardware. I’m averaging like I was saying, 25-30 FPS on high settings currently and would like to really kick that up with this build. Is there any real advantage to getting this or should I just save some money and bite the bullet and build a super rig over Christmas? 

And also to add I am wondering if it might just be worth it to upgrade the HDD to a SSD and throw another 8gb of RAM in as a band aid en lieu of a new machine? 

Furthermore I had considered upgrading the processor. However after extensive research it appears based on low energy options - 35w CPU’s that I am really not going to find much else better. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, [TDP] Wilson said:

And also to add I am wondering if it might just be worth it to upgrade the HDD to a SSD and throw another 8gb of RAM in as a band aid en lieu of a new machine? 

You'll be able to take your SATA based SSD to a new future machine so it won't be a dead end and wasted money. The ram however is another point. I expect your Steam Machine used SODIMM ram which is typically used in laptops and won't be any good in a full scale desktop motherboard.

Neither of those components will boost your fps like GPU (mainly) and CPU (up to a point) can. Enough ram can make the difference between a game stuttering and running badly but it's not ultimately what limits fps.

If you know the exact spec of your Steam Machine CPU you might be able to use it in an upgrade PC build. If it's a T model don't bother. You can take the HDD as well but probably little else. Selling it might be your best option or keep it whole as a media server.

Yes it does use the SODIMM RAM. Currently runs 8gb - want to add at minimum 4gb. Also, I've seen that people are using External Graphics Processing Units (EGPU) with these machines and getting some excellent results. That is also an option I'm interested in exploring. Again though, I'm just a little lost though on if I should just wait on upgrading my CPU? I can probably down grade to i5, however with limited physical space to throw in a intercooler or adjusting motherboard wattage I'm not able to get anything that can really be overclocked. I tried with this one and had some mild success in performance but it literally sounded like my machine wanted to blow up. I'm thinking that if I just overclock the video card I might get some decent results. The video card build is equal to 860M with 4gb dedicated to it. So in essence my quagmire is - do I fiddle with this machine I've got or just kick it to the door and run with a used desktop? 

5 hours ago, [TDP] Wilson said:

So in essence my quagmire is - do I fiddle with this machine I've got or just kick it to the door and run with a used desktop? 

Well if I am reading it correctly, you currently have an alienware based steam machine. That has specs that I could find online of:

CPU: Core i7-4785T 

RAM: 8GB DDR3 memory

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 860M 2GB

HDD: 1TB 7,200 rpm HDD

If you are able to trade that, for $0, to:

CPU: Intel i5 4690k

RAM: 6GB DDR3 Ram (expandable to 16GB)

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050Ti

HDD: 2TB HDD

It is well worth it, assuming you don't care about the other "steam machine" benefits. I would make that exchange in a heartbeat. Adding about $100 into the system to throw in a SSD (and maybe a little more ram if you can) would make it a rather decent upgrade. I don't think you'll be getting high FPS at maxed out settings, but at mediumish settings (with a few at high) I would say you should be able to maintain the range of 40-60 fps. 

Edited by Psyrus

^not going to quote you again.

You have just discovered the joys of non upgradable consoles. If you feel you will continue with PC gaming in your future desktop gaming is really the best way forward. You seem fairly interested in hardware so meddling in PC builds can become a bit of a hobby like it has for myself. It's very satisfying, at least for me, getting the best out of upgrading hardware and much cheaper than doing the same kind of thing with the internal combustion engine.

The rig in the OP will be able to play this game at low-med settings at the very least. It has a newer CPU than mine and a newer GPU, but I can play at low-med for about 50 fps @1080p. If you already have that rig, you should be able to play. If you don't and are buying a new rig, save your money and buy later for a far better rig. Sales will be around then and you can really go crazy.

So I decided to pull the trigger and get a newer rig. I did not get the rig

mentioned above, however I did get the following: 

i7 6700k

16gb RAM

240gb SDD drive 

asus Z170 micro-atx motherboard 

EVGA GTX 1070 SC

Working on downloading the game now so I can get back on. So far reviews and info I’ve see indicate

i should be comfortable at 60+ FPS on high settings. 

As before, would love to know input

fr the community on my rig.  Any upgrades suggested? 

I run the game on the 4690k overclocked to 4.4GHz and a 1070 and it runs well. You should have an even better experience with the 6700k.

Edited by saXoni

So have been playing now for a few hours. Happy to report consistently 65-80 FPS. Unreal how it looks btw. Never saw these animations with lower power machine.