MikeEOD

Just bought the game, can't find servers or use firing range.

As per title, installed game and cant find servers or join the firing range. Have verified cache, deleted .ini have made sure all drivers are up to date even though I keep on top of that anyways. Also have reinstalled still to no avail does anyone have any ideas? I have 54 games in mt steam library and this is the first time I can't do anything in a game after purchase. 

i7 4770k 

R9 390X

16gb ram,

msi g45 mobo

Thanks all, Mike.

If you are oveclocking CPU, getting back to default might do the job as well

Edited by samwiseOrigin

Could you explain the problem a little more clearly, if you don't mind? 

Do you mean that you can open the game (the squad menu shows up) and you can change your settings etc in game, but when you open the server browser, nothing shows up even after waiting some time? 

What happens when you push the "firing range" menu item? 

18 hours ago, samwiseOrigin said:

If you are oveclocking CPU, getting back to default might do the job as well

Yea I have Oc'd ill revert back to stock clocks see if that works, thanks.

17 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Could you explain the problem a little more clearly, if you don't mind? 

Do you mean that you can open the game (the squad menu shows up) and you can change your settings etc in game, but when you open the server browser, nothing shows up even after waiting some time? 

What happens when you push the "firing range" menu item? 

I can load up the game, enter the main menu and i can access the settings etc. Server browser shows nothing just the loading (left for 30mins), when I try to use the firing range I get the start training yes or no option, click yes nothing happens I click no the menu closes. 

48 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Try changing your Steam settings for In-Game server browser: Max pings / minute to something lower than 5000.

Tried that to no avail, I checked the logs I seem to be getting a lot of errors. 

12 minutes ago, MikeEOD said:

Tried that to no avail, I checked the logs I seem to be getting a lot of errors. 

An example of those 'errors' might help. EAC (Easy Anti-Cheat) errors?

Edited by Major Trouble
spelling

2 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

An example of those 'errors' might help. EAC (Easy Anti-Cheat) errors?

Ok ill list a few

LogOnline:Warning: STEAM: Failed to initialize Steam, this could be due to a Steam server and client running on the same machine. Try running with -NOSTEAM on the cmdline to disable.
LogOnline:Display: STEAM: OnlineSubsystemSteam::Shutdown()
LogOnline:Warning: STEAM: Steam API failed to initialize!

[2017.11.09-20.10.53:293][438]LogOnline:Warning: OSS: Can't cancel a search that isn't in progress
[2017.11.09-20.10.53:301][438]GetHostByName failed ()
[2017.11.09-20.10.53:307][438]LogSockets:Warning: Failed to create socket DGram [LAN beacon]
[2017.11.09-20.10.53:307][438]LogOnline:Error: Failed to create listen socket for LAN beacon
[2017.11.09-20.10.53:308][438]LogOnline:Warning: Failed to create socket for lan announce port 
[2017.11.09-20.10.53:308][438]LogOnline:Warning: OSS: Can't cancel a search that isn't in progress

[2017.11.09-20.10.57:466][396]LogSockets:Warning: Failed to create socket DGram [LAN beacon]
[2017.11.09-20.10.57:466][396]LogOnline:Error: Failed to create listen socket for LAN beacon
[2017.11.09-20.10.57:466][396]LogOnline:Warning: Failed to init to LAN beacon 
[2017.11.09-20.10.57:466][396]LogOnline:Warning: OSS: Can't destroy a null online session (Game)
[2017.11.09-20.10.57:629][434]GetHostByName failed ()
[2017.11.09-20.10.57:636][434]GetHostByName failed ()

Edited by MikeEOD
empty post

I am certainly no expert but my thoughts are either EAC or your Anti-Virus is causing the issue. You could try re-installing EAC. Mines installed here "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Squad\EasyAntiCheat\EasyAntiCheat_Setup.exe". You might want to try temporarily disabling your AV or add it as an exception.

4 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

I am certainly no expert but my thoughts are either EAC or your Anti-Virus is causing the issue. You could try re-installing EAC. Mines installed here "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Squad\EasyAntiCheat\EasyAntiCheat_Setup.exe". You might want to try temporarily disabling your AV or add it as an exception.

Tried turning off my AV and firewall, no change. I reinstalled EAC added as an exception, still didn't work and I appreciate the the help btw.

My last suggestion for the night, as I am running out of ideas, but try verifying integrity of game files in Steam. Right click on Squad in your Steam inventory and select Properties then the verify option under Local Files tab.

Edited by Major Trouble

1 minute ago, Major Trouble said:

My last suggestion for the night, as I am running out of ideas, but try verifying integrity of game files in Steam. Right click on Squad in your Steam inventory and select Properties then the verify option.

Yea tried that a few times, I might go for another fresh install see if that does anything, it's a shame really I'm itching to play. Thanks for all the suggestions mate.

Hello and welcome to Squad @MikeEOD,

I'd suggest you do a clean install of Squad:
  1. manually delete %localappdata%\Squad
    https://offworldindustries.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002768887-How-to-manually-clear-your-user-settings-cache
  2. uninstall Squad via Steam
  3. manually delete remaining folders in Squad installation directory
    default: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Squad
  4. install Squad via Steam
  5. reboot PC

if the issue still persists, we'll dig deeper.

45 minutes ago, MikeEOD said:

LogOnline:Warning: STEAM: Failed to initialize Steam, this could be due to a Steam server and client running on the same machine. Try running with -NOSTEAM on the cmdline to disable.
LogOnline:Warning: STEAM: Steam API failed to initialize!

@beginna What do you think of that error ^?

Something here....

Edited by Major Trouble

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am a fan of full log files.

step by step.
first clean install of squad.

if need be, we'll have a look at the full log files.

21 hours ago, beginna said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am a fan of full log files.

step by step.
first clean install of squad.

if need be, we'll have a look at the full log files.

Ok so I've now done a fresh install, reverted my PC back to stock clocks. I still have the same troubles I can boot up the game and navigate the settings but get no servers and training tab does nothing when clicking "yes" I can send the full logs for the session but it will be a big post.

1 hour ago, MikeEOD said:

I still have the same troubles [...]

in order to get the latest log file:
  1. delete all files and folders in...
    C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Squad\Saved\Logs
  2. reproduce the issue
  3. exit the game
  4. upload the latest created log file to eg. http://www.tinyupload.com/
  5. share link here

I'd be tempted to re-install Steam myself as the line 'LogOnline:Warning: STEAM: Failed to initialize Steam, this could be due to a Steam server and client running on the same machine. Try running with -NOSTEAM on the cmdline to disable.'  seems to show Steam as trying to run a server offline. Have you messed about with Steam settings in the past?

Do it like this and you shouldn't lose any games.

Move the subfolder /steamapps/ in a safe place before uninstalling Steam, then do the following steps:
Uninstall Steam.
Reinstall Steam.
Launch Steam.
Exit Steam.
Move the content of your /steamapps/ backup to the new /steamapps/ subfolder.
Relaunch Steam.

2 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

I'd be tempted to re-install Steam myself as the line 'LogOnline:Warning: STEAM: Failed to initialize Steam, this could be due to a Steam server and client running on the same machine. Try running with -NOSTEAM on the cmdline to disable.'  seems to show Steam as trying to run a server offline. Have you messed about with Steam settings in the past?

I have done in the past as I used to play the Dayz mod a lot, but I've done a fresh win 10 install a month ago. Ill try reinstalling steam and see if that works as per your suggestion.

12 minutes ago, MikeEOD said:

Thanks ill do that too, I'm willing to try anything.

Sorry to butt in, but let me know if it works. I have had this game for about a year and a half and I just started having those same issues yesterday. 

Hi, ok i finally managed to get servers to show up and can use the firing range. I went to the squad.exe not the launcher and ran as admin

\steam\steamapps\common\Squad\Squad.exe"

I now get this error 

EasyAntiCheat Error: Failed to create IGameClient instance!
Check that the game was run from the correct launcher.
Online Play may not be available.

So in my case it is the EAC that is the problem even thought I have tried all the fixes I have seen so far to solve it find to rule it out. 

I'm going to use this guide again to see if i've missed anything. And thanks to all that have helped so far! 

https://offworldindustries.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/221442887-Easy-Anti-Cheat-Errors