YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

Is There any way to Fight Sorta Like a Guerilla Force With Insurgents and Militia? If so, How?

If I were forced into the SL position as an insurgent or militiaman, I want to be effective but I don't think the irregular forces can go toe-to-toe with US and RU armies. Realistically, these irregular forces would try to resort to guerilla tactics to be a better fighting force. How can these strategies be reflected in the game?

Guerrilla warfare is a form of irregular warfare in which a small group of combatants, such as paramilitary personnel, armed civilians, or irregulars, use military tactics including ambushes, sabotage, raids, petty warfare, hit-and-run tactics, and mobility to fight a larger and less-mobile traditional military.

From Wikipedia.

I'd have to it's self-explanatory....

Ambush - 2 LATs(plus 1 HAT would be good) at ready. Hunker down up in the hill, try not to draw any attention, do not fire APC 400m away. Wait for it, Execute. 

Sabotage - I,E,D 

Raids - Blow up that logis! 

and so on... 

The spg technical works really well for killing vehicles in the open desert on Basrah. Mining the bridges is also very effective. On Fool's Road and Yeho you can be very sneaky with the BRDM. I like to keep it hidden until I hear an enemy vehicle moving or shooting nearby and then sneak up on it from the side or rear.

I think that for this to be possible millitia and insurgents should have the abillity to leave the base about two minutes before bluefor can in order to be able to set up ambushes , after all they are suppose to feel like the defeneding force while the bluefor should feel like the invading force with the heavy vehicles and the high tech . also we can give unconventional forces faster spawn timers in order to give the feel of fighting a larger force that can attack from everywhere and always present on the battlefield .

Those two minutes aren't going to be spend on setting up ambushes in most cases, but on rushing the first point, which should be possible on all maps with a 2 minute lead. And gives enough time to set up a fob and all.

9 minutes ago, Nimbus said:

Those two minutes aren't going to be spend on setting up ambushes in most cases, but on rushing the first point, which should be possible on all maps with a 2 minute lead. And gives enough time to set up a fob and all.

So points shouldn't unlock until the time blufor arrives on thier first point . but there should be a possibility to build FOBs but not too close to the blufor main camp .

Edited by L0cation

Just now, Nimbus said:

As in capable or enter able?

As if you couldn't move the cap timer nor build anything too close to it i guess.

I think harassment of larger or more powerful forces is very satisfying.

As a lone wolf I often spot a moving squad and find an area where I can take a few shots at them then back off to pop up in a new location. 

If they chase me they are delayed. if they don't chase me I harass them all the way to their destination, they are delayed.

Every now and then I kill them all and do a little dance.

I also throw smoke and shoot at armour to distract them, it is funny when they spend 10 mins trying to get me. 

Delaying again. 

You might not score well doing this stuff but it can often win a game. 

Splitting a squad so they cover a large area to harass and provide maximum delay can allow a team to win simply by distracting assets and numbers.

5 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

The spg technical works really well for killing vehicles in the open desert on Basrah. Mining the bridges is also very effective. On Fool's Road and Yeho you can be very sneaky with the BRDM. I like to keep it hidden until I hear an enemy vehicle moving or shooting nearby and then sneak up on it from the side or rear.

I have to say that I once was on the receiving end of those SPG technicals and mined bridges on Basrah as U.S. losing 3 full logis and I cannot confirm or deny whether or not I rage quit >:(

So I'm not going to toot my own horn here, but I tried this strategy a few times and it worked incredibly well.  It's very delicate though, and hasn't worked every time, so take it as you will.

1: Make sure everyone in your squad is on the same page.  If you say jump,. they have to jump.  No one messing around.  6 people is a good number because you won't be in the thick of it very often and you don't want to draw people away from the fight if you don't need to.

2: Don't pick up any vehicles that'll slow you down or hold you back.  So you have to be mobile, sure, but to hit hard when you need to.  BRDM is perfect.  (you don't need to be Mal or Ins for this... a spare BTR80 works well too, just remember what you're there to do and don't fall back into "normal" usage of it.)

3: Always hit the enemy where they are weakest, and never where they are strongest.  Most people see a full enemy squad and try to kill them all or to contact them.  Not you... let them pass unless they're in a killzone.  Guarded enemy FOB?  Wait until they leave or move on somewhere else.

4: FOB hunt; ambush Logis; flank enemies from the rear as they are assaulting one of your flags, then once you've done damage disappear again.  Don't get into extended firefights.  SLs and Medics are top targets.  Always try and guess where enemy rallies are and sweep through those areas.

5: Lets say you back cap the enemy, and now you know the whole team are coming for you.  Standard practice? Stay and hold them off, accepting a likely defeat and being overrun.  Maybe you buy your team an extra 3 minutes?  What you can do: Mount back up and leave the flag and wait for the enemy to come in force, recap, then leave again leaving only a fraction of people to defend.  They will probably assume you've left to continue the backcap, and so they send even more people to the rear to hunt you. Maybe the defenders start building a fob, or start monging out through boredom.  Then hit em again, neutralise/cap flag and leave.  Rinse and repeat/change it up and go back to FOB hunting or smashing into the back of enemy assault groups. 

6: In the latter case of these, you must wait until they are already in contact.  Try to go for their SL, Medic, Rally and/or transport vehicle, then bugger off and leave the enemy stranded.  "Flanking" doesn't mean attacking from the side/rear.  People can just turn around.  You have to wait until they take cover from the front, then leave them nowhere to go as you sweep in from behind.

If you want to try guerrilla tactics, you must absolutely avoid entering into a fair fight.  After about 40 seconds of contact, if you haven't won already, you've got to go.  Otherwise they'll just send a 30mm to your neck of the woods, or mortars, or a full squad to flank/trap you and the party's over.  You've taken 6 guys out of the fight on your team -- you need to make sure you justify this, forcing the enemy to send even more troops away from the fight than you have. All you are trying to do is give the enemy a massive headache, undermining their combat effectiveness and scrambling any plans they have.  You 100% need to be mobile and have a vehicle to flee quickly enough if you have to.

Fleeing is important because you are only 6 guys, and if you get wiped, that's it.  If you can retreat, forcing the enemy to follow you, you can draw out what was a 2 minute battle into an 8 minute skirmish.  If they don't follow you? Then you're still in the game 45 seconds before all those poor fools you shot in the back.

Make sure you know where the enemy vehicles are so you can either avoid/flank ambush as necessary.  1x RPG LAT hit and a burst of BDRM will take out a BTR80A in about 4 seconds if you get in behind them.  30mm crews love to sit on a hill on their own and all looking the same direction.

Edited by Kendo

14 hours ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

If I were forced into the SL position as an insurgent or militiaman, I want to be effective but I don't think the irregular forces can go toe-to-toe with US and RU armies. Realistically, these irregular forces would try to resort to guerilla tactics to be a better fighting force. How can these strategies be reflected in the game?

Its not rocket surgery. Form a two man locked squad. Claim any weaponized vehicle and find a ambush spot behind or besides some cover along the enemies expected supply/travel routes. Turn the engine off and patiently wait for a side or rear shot and not a front facing duel unless it's a Logi or Transport truck. Enjoy. Repeat. Move occasionally.

2 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Its not rocket surgery. Form a two man locked squad. Claim any weaponized vehicle and find a ambush spot behind or besides some cover along the enemies expected supply/travel routes. Turn the engine off and patiently wait for a side or rear shot and not a front facing duel unless it's a Logi or Transport truck. Enjoy. Repeat. Move occasionally.

^ Pretty much it.  Depends on what kind of scale you are operating on.  Anything from being a 1 man LAT/Marksman held up just behind enemy lines, to the above with two men, to something a little more intricate with 6-9 if you fancy it.

VBIED is a classic 1 man job as well.  You don't even need to be a scout yourself, just hop on a bike and ask your scout to do the deed when you say.  Its actually infinitely more effective that way too.

8 hours ago, suds said:

As a lone wolf I often spot a moving squad and find an area where I can take a few shots at them then back off to pop up in a new location. 

If they chase me they are delayed. if they don't chase me I harass them all the way to their destination, they are delayed.

Every now and then I kill them all and do a little dance.

I also throw smoke and shoot at armour to distract them, it is funny when they spend 10 mins trying to get me. 

Delaying again. 

You might not score well doing this stuff but it can often win a game. 

Splitting a squad so they cover a large area to harass and provide maximum delay can allow a team to win simply by distracting assets and numbers.

Are you that militia ghost that was on First Light and managed to plant and detonate an IED in the middle of our whole squad?

I will forever be trying this

As yet I have only done it once and it was an urban map

Tonns of 3-man squads. Insurgents get an RPG when squad reaches 3 people. And everyone else if doomed.

In 40 v 40 you can get 13 squads with 13 RPGs, 13 medics, 14 squad leaders and 13 rallies on the map. It would be a nightmare to play against 13 RPGs, doesn't even matter if you're on vehicle or in infantry, it would be such a grenade spam, you have no idea.

Never saw this kind of play, it would require every player on the team to understand the game, but it would be so powerful, especially in matches.

Edited by Skul

9 minutes ago, Skul said:

Tonns of 3-man squads. Insurgents get an RPG when squad reaches 3 people. And everyone else if doomed.

In 40 v 40 you can get 13 squads with 13 RPGs, 13 medics, 14 squad leaders and 13 rallies on the map. It would be a nightmare to play against 13 RPGs, doesn't even matter if you're on vehicle or in infantry, it would be such a grenade spam, you have no idea.

Never saw this kind of play, it would require every player on the team to understand the game, but it would be so powerful, especially in matches.

Its interesting, that's for sure.  Maybe one 9 man squad for the sake of the HAT, but yeah... that would be awful...

1 hour ago, Skul said:

I often play LAT and if my SL will let me, I'll roam the map deep in enemy territory whacking vehicles way before they expect it, either running up to them, or waiting in ambush. Once my rockets are gone, I'll hunt spawnpoints and try to generally be both annoying and try to look like a bigger force than just one guy. Get a kill or take a few shots, flank around like mad and repeat. Try to be disruptive and get them to turn away from the objective and hunt me instead. It's great fun. If there were 12 other guys doing the same thing? Being in a vehicle would be suicide. lol

11 hours ago, suds said:

Yes 

My experience; When i was playing AR in forest area map in which i forgot the name, our rally was about 300 meters from cap point in the woods, as soon as I spawned in, I heard a faint vic sounds, I went to investigate, ta da! A logi full of supplies trying to maneuver its way into mountain, i put it on automatic, and start to tease my finger with the trigger so i don't just spray my rounds around the vic since it was bit away from me. At the same time, I am calling for AT to come near me. Now the humor starts. The logi tried to get away. By doing so, he is going full down the hill in which made him fly and do a barrel roll landing on the open main road. I was able to put 2 players down. annnnnnnd our AT finished the job... lol

its difficult to do it but yes small group can become guerrilla force .. hit and run .. Its about getting in and around choke points or ambush near enemy bases to cut off supplies... (lot of people moan about this tactic but why not, its effective)... insurgents tend to be at their worst when trying to fight over distance ... with iron sight waste of time vs US... 

not a lot you can do if you are defending a flag.. but mobile AT 4 in a vehicle can be effective at hitting and running..lot of players tend to get on a flag and try to defend it.. rather than pushing out one squad to delay and harass whilst others build up the flag.

In my experience, its very hard, unless your squad mates have excellent technical play (moving, shooting, communicating).  People leave servers or team switch from INS/MIL because they are often not to fun to play.

On PUBLIC servers the MIL/INS will typically have major issues going up against US (RUS less so) simply because the gun play as it is now favors them.  I think it comes down to the density of ACOG/AIMPOINT +vics.  The ability to easily LOCATE and ENGAGE your enemy at ANY range  leads to high #'s of kills/incapacitations.  Kills/incapacitations allow the US/RUS to dominate large parts of maps, maneuver with ease, and capture/defend objectives much easier. Have I seen MIL/INS pulla win? Sure but there is a disparity.

In a game of skilled aiming, first on target typically wins. Keep your ballistics arguments.  Remember, you can have all these cool kits, IEDs and mines, but the fight on and around the objective is done via the gun play.  If you cant compete there, its a loss and its not fun.

Sure you can do ambushes and disrupt their supply routes.   Sure you can "let them get closer" in an attempt to negate some of their range advantage, but you are still outgunned due to the lack of suppression, gun play (super precise weapons -with optics more so++), and map design.

AAS requires live players on flags or in close vicinity.  The more you try to guerrilla warfare it up (besides the IED guy), the less players you have playing objectives.  IMO its an awkward balance and AAS presents serious issues for the non conventional forces. I am hoping for better more dynamic game modes and a revitalization of Insurgency mode in the future.

On 11/7/2017 at 1:40 PM, Skul said:

If it was coordinated right by a clan in the lobby I believe you can load out INS or Militia with 12 squads consisting of a SL, Rocketeer and Scout. If I remember correctly each Scout can deploy up to 5 mines. That's 60 landmines, 12 IED'S and 24 HEAT rounds lol...

Scout unlocks at 4 players, although you could hack the system.  Feels like more of an exploit then though.