Sign in to follow this  
FeatherSton3

How would you feel about a FOB build timer?

How would you feel about a feature that prohibited the building of structures until 30 seconds have passed since the FOB was placed?

Not saying I am in favor of my own question, just wanting to see different opinions. 

Thought behind this: It would delay the rush in the game. Make people think more strategic about placements of FOBs. 

not bad...

also, make players wait 2 minutes before being able to spawn on FOBs, just like good old PR DEVs...

rush solution is to NOT have empty maps which you drive freely across with no chance of variation between games.

Easy.

1 hour ago, suds said:

rush solution is to NOT have empty maps which you drive freely across with no chance of variation between games.

Easy.

The main idea and premise of this thread was to simply ask the question "How would you feel about a FOB build timer?" Rush comment was just a possible general reasoning

I'm not in favor simply because it will cause the Squad placing the FOB to be sitting ducks for those 30 seconds. I understand that it should in theory help solve the issue of rushing but may I suggest a slight variation in the suggestion.

Currently when placing a FOB this is what the "yellow health progress bar" looks like the moment it is placed:

GA7rlvC.png

Basically 100%

I think we should have the FOB start with ~20% and have the compounded presence of friendlies within the proximity of the FOB increase the yellow progress bar just like it used to be. Additionally a FOB that is not at 100% may not have a HAB available to be placed. This will allow a Squad that stays together to decrease the time it takes to place a HAB if they're all following the SL.

Hs9XnNp.png

*Edit* This can also effect the building of other structures as well as a HAB.

Edited by CptDirty

@FeatherSton3 I nearly went back to edit to add a comment about the timer but I think that if the only reason is to reduce rushing then it is not a good solution.

It may help but it does not fix the problem. A wide open map with no enemies on it. The way every match goes right now we may as well spawn at the enemies first or second flag from the beginning. There is no risk to drive across the map at the start. 

Throwing arbitrary timers in there doesn't solve anything and just further hinders game comprehension.

You will never be able to stop the rush, or any meta that is currently in the game. Good players will adapt and find loopholes as we have always done. 

6 hours ago, Robin Sage said:

You will never be able to stop the rush, or any meta that is currently in the game. Good players will adapt and find loopholes as we have always done. 

I don't think they can/should aim to stop it completely, but I think the ideal would be making the rush a bigger gamble than it currently is. There are currently very few downsides, even if a rush fails to hold for much time, the game proceeds as normal as though a rush had not occurred, but if the rush succeeds even a little, it can essentially turn the game into a steamroll. 

There are already so many conflicting opinions on this matter that I won't bother throwing my 2c drop into the already raging sea (with concrete examples of what could be done) but I think much like overwatch when Ana's bio nade was insanely strong and thus the tank meta was just the default, the current "rush meta = default" in squad isn't the ideal situation. 

One thing I will say though, is that the suggestion that I've most enjoyed thus far was having more randomized flag layouts, and at the same time not being able to see the neutral flags on the map until they're your next attack point. Therefore rushes could be tried (by rushing some of the "possible" flag locations of the enemy) but it would be a much bigger gamble because the enemy may not be capturing a flag at the place you try to rush, or you may spend time fighting a distraction force over a flag you think is there, but in fact there is a small squad stealth capping the real flag. 

1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

I don't think they can/should aim to stop it completely, but I think the ideal would be making the rush a bigger gamble than it currently is. There are currently very few downsides, even if a rush fails to hold for much time, the game proceeds as normal as though a rush had not occurred, but if the rush succeeds even a little, it can essentially turn the game into a steamroll. 

There are already so many conflicting opinions on this matter that I won't bother throwing my 2c drop into the already raging sea (with concrete examples of what could be done) but I think much like overwatch when Ana's bio nade was insanely strong and thus the tank meta was just the default, the current "rush meta = default" in squad isn't the ideal situation. 

One thing I will say though, is that the suggestion that I've most enjoyed thus far was having more randomized flag layouts, and at the same time not being able to see the neutral flags on the map until they're your next attack point. Therefore rushes could be tried (by rushing some of the "possible" flag locations of the enemy) but it would be a much bigger gamble because the enemy may not be capturing a flag at the place you try to rush, or you may spend time fighting a distraction force over a flag you think is there, but in fact there is a small squad stealth capping the real flag. 

I think that Mestia has fixed a lot of the rush meta and to be honest it is in my opinion the best map for SQUAD right now with the assets we have. 

Just now, Robin Sage said:

I think that Mestia has fixed a lot of the rush meta and to be honest it is in my opinion the best map for SQUAD right now with the assets we have. 

Damn it, you're making me hate being stuck in this office at work so much right now :(

FlagRush in the future might be more difficult to achieve when Maps sizes are enlarged. Of course by then we might have some Birds to fly but it would be mighty risky.

We will always rush regardless of the map size, bigger maps makes it even harder to fall back so may even be more of a problem

We need to have squads in the middle of the map at random locations for at least 4 reasons:

1. There can be people near the flags so if they get rushed they can alert the team.
  2. The rushing vehicles may be ambushed randomly. This results in more variety in every single round.
  3. The maps will feel less empty.
  4. The rounds will be more varied and the game will hold more attention for longer.

Simple way to achieve this is by providing every squad with a random rally point which is already a spawn option at the start of the round. 

Rally locations can tend to be near flags which are nearer to main but with a few random ones. Spawining on these is optional, they could time out within 1min and disappear. Maybe the SL could even choose to delete it to prevent people spawning there.