Sign in to follow this  
FeatherSton3

A Few Suggestions to Building Deployables

Have a few suggestions here for the structures,assets that Squad Leaders can build:

1) Make the Green outline of item you are about to place a little more transparent/darker. In some areas, it is hard for me to distinguish where the Green "blueprint" of an item ends due to lighting, etc. 

2) Allow structures to be stacked easier. A few updates ago (can't remember) it was easier to place structures on top of each other (machine gun placed on top of a pile or two piles of sandbags). It can still be done, but sometimes, the system doesn't like to work and so sometimes build stacking is not possible. 

3) More "build" stages. I.E. every two times you complete the left click shovel "construct" animation, a single layer of sandbags is built. So, 8 shovels = full built sandbag (I think there's four layers?!). I.E. HAB: Third shovel animation completes stakes, fifth completes concrete, etc, etc.

4) Be able to rotate items (since this might be hard to free-rotate, maybe have the option to rotate at 45 degree increments) This is useful in tight spaces. I.E. You are trying to build a M.G. gun in a small room. It is red, so you cannot construct it. However, rotating the base would allow it to turn green. I have had this issue. I end up having to crawl along the four corners of the room until i find the right spot. 

5) Allow for building on certain walls. Certain walls cannot have sandbags or assets placed on them due to things like bugs or the curvature of the wall (if the wall isn't completely straight, you might not be able to build on it). If this is the case, you need to waste  50 points building a sandbag on the ground below your feet, then build another on top of that, to equal the same height you were attempting to reach with building on top of the wall. 

Edited by FeatherSton3

6 hours ago, FeatherSton3 said:

Have a few suggestions here for the structures,assets that Squad Leaders can build:

1) Make the Green outline of item you are about to place a little more transparent/darker. In some areas, it is hard for me to distinguish where the Green "blueprint" of an item ends due to lighting, etc. 

2) Allow structures to be stacked easier. A few updates ago (can't remember) it was easier to place structures on top of each other (machine gun placed on top of a pile or two piles of sandbags). It can still be done, but sometimes, the system doesn't like to work and so sometimes build stacking is not possible. 

3) More "build" stages. I.E. every two times you complete the left click shovel "construct" animation, a single layer of sandbags is built. So, 8 shovels = full built sandbag (I think there's four layers?!). I.E. HAB: Third shovel animation completes stakes, fifth completes, concrete, etc, etc.

4) Be able to rotate items (since this might be hard to free-rotate, maybe have the option to rotate at 45 degree increments) This is useful in tight spaces. I.E. You are trying to build a M.G. gun in a small room. It is red, so you cannot construct it. However, rotating the base would allow it to turn green. I have this issue. I end of having to crawl along the four corners of the room until i find the right spot. 

5) Allow for building on certain walls. Certain walls cannot have sandbags or assets placed on them due to things like bugs or the curvature of the wall (if the wall isn't completely straight, you might not be able to build on it). If this is the case, you need to waste  50 points building a sandbag on the ground below your feet, then build another on top of that, to equal the same height you were attempting to reach with building on top of the wall. 

Great suggestions.

1. The green should be significantly darker than the red. This will help color blind players.

2. Agreed. Stacking is a pain in the butt sometimes.

3. I like the idea of QUICKLY showing that something is being built or destroyed. I was going to say that a warning text could appear that says "DISMANTLING STRUCTURE" but instead, to keep in the spirit of Squad not relying on text that clutters the screen, add more layers to the structure so that it can easily be determined whether it is being constructed or dismantled. This would be nice even at the initial stage where there are only stakes. Too often new players right-click and destroy the HAB stakes...even when [as I am in the habit of doing] you say, "Left-click to build. Left-click. Left-click." Perhaps the stacks in the ground get shorter? I don't know, but this is an ongoing issue. My last round at Narva a new player accidently right-clicked the HAB stacks.

4. Rotating items is a great idea.

5. Great idea to build on certain walls.

Edited by LuckyJack888

11 hours ago, LuckyJack888 said:

1. The green should be significantly darker than the red. This will help color blind players.

And/or mix in some blue, which is what they do for traffic signals in some countries.

3 hours ago, catbref said:

And/or mix in some blue, which is what they do for traffic signals in some countries.

Lol. Are we assuming Europeans don't know how to build structures because their streetlights are blue? :)

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) Meh...not a deal breaker. If it hinders in any way shape or form with performance I'd say keep it as is.

4) YES! YES! YES!

5) Yes.