Gatzby

October 2017 Recap

carousel_image-octrecap.png

Hi Squaddies,

We're bringing you another recap, fresh off the presses. This recap contains some of the most recent efforts each of the teams have put into Squad to show off their work, and what's coming down the road for Squad. The development team remains hard at work, so be sure to check back to see how everything is progressing, especially that new map!

Systems

middle_separator.png

Animation System Progress

Since the last devblog on the animation system, we've continued to make progress at a steady rate, replicating features like Bipods and Freelook over the network. There have been some engineering challenges as we look at how to deal with bipods over the network and the way the player interacts with the surrounding obstacles as you swivel around. Regardless, progress is being made day by day, and we'll keep you updated as major developments here happen.

Weapon Collision

One system we managed to serendipitously add was a collision detection system to weapons. When you are up against a wall or obstacle, depending on the length of your weapon, it will lower out of the way and prevent you from firing and aiming down the sights. This will add another layer to weapon balance, especially when dealing with close quarter battle situations where bringing a shorter weapon would allow you to be more maneuverable. Pistols especially benefit from this as they practically require you to be right up against the wall before you're too close.

Main Menu UI

Our UI designers have begun step one of our plan to greatly improve the UI and menus both in and out of the game, beginning with the Main Menu. We're aiming to not only make it more aesthetically pleasing, but also build in additional functionality like access to Modding (More info about this to come!). The background scene currently is a work-in-progress, but our artists are cooking up something special to go in there.

Art

middle_separator.png

M240B

fnmag1.jpg

Featured previously in a monthly recap, the M240B (and to a larger extent the FN Mag 58 series of machine guns) has been styled and configured to the new animation system, ready to rock and roll come next major version.

fnmag2.jpg

RPG26 Aglen Rocket Launcher

rpg26.jpg

Developed in the 80s as a disposable rocket launcher counterpart to the M72, the RPG26 boasts a larger warhead than its American counterpart, and overall much lighter package compared to the traditional RPG7. When this weapon debuts you will take advantage of the adjustable sights system in order to make your shots count.

TT33 & M17 MHS

m17mhs1.jpg

A few new pistols will also make their debut in the next major version, with the Sig P320 (recently adopted as the M17 Modular Handgun System by the US Army); and the Soviet Era TT33 Tokarev for the Militia/Insurgents. Both have their own distinguishing characteristics in terms of firepower and magazine capacity.

tt33.jpg

Mapping

middle_separator.png

Mestia

mestia1.jpg

Borrowing heavily from our experience with Fool's Road, this reimagining of a classic Project Reality map pushes the envelope on vertical combat. Focused around a triangle of mountainous fighting positions the map includes rocky faces and winding mountain passes that are sure to be a recurrent graveyard for unwary vehicles.

mestia2.jpg

mestia3.jpg

An infantryman's dream, we are aiming to tuck a good amount of nooks and unique engagement locations throughout the map. Mestia was begun by our recent modder turned developer Axton and polished up by the development team. We expect the map to be completed and ready to roll before Christmas!

mestia4.jpg

mestia5.jpg

mestia6.jpg

mestia7.jpg

Sign-off

middle_separator.png

Among primary development on version 10 and other departments making ground for future content, we have plenty still left in the barrel. Expect continued updates on this in more dev blogs and monthly recaps to come! Stay safe, squaddies.

Just nit picking: the soldier should release the slide catch on the P320 when reloading, not a big issue

everything else looks amazing though

Awesome content :P when will some of it be released finally we didnt have proper content added for a while now :/

loving it. nice to see thanks for the recap

Aaah Mestia, god it's been so long, i think it was version 0.75 of PR that i've first played it , or 0.86 if i'm not mistaken (still got installs going all the way back to 0.4 so i might check), i simply can't wait. Thank you guys for doing all this work, hopefully the next major  update will be soon, but if you intend to have Mestia done by Christmas and roll it along with V10, then my guess is V10 is around Christmas ;)

Have you thought about putting some old PR/BF2 music in the game? Whether in the form of a loading screen or something else , that would be amazing.

Keep up the good work :)

Man, the wait for V10 is getting intense... but a few goodies before then will much appreciated :P

Another very welcome recap. Some exciting stuff there. Looking forward to see how weapon collision works when prone and ads as that's when it I just end up giving my position away the most. 

Looking good. Though still nothing on vehicle localized damage, any update on that?

7 hours ago, FeatherSton3 said:

Guys, there is two shovel icons in this inventory. Hmmm..... o.O

2bda837d65f70106475e5830d200128b.jpg

Maybe a placeholder for the melee shovel ? :3

7 hours ago, FeatherSton3 said:

313cef957febbaea8094f6677f41e176.png

looks like

Kahan Desert

Could be Khamisiyah too.

Kashan Desert  was good but Khamisiyah was always more fun for me but unfurtunatly without jets i have mixed feelings about this.

btw. nice prefix ^^

Z2Xdi13oRvy1alBen2qkkQ.jpeg

Hey guys, what about those 3 shotgun models that you were working on quite a while ago? Are we getting them in V10?

5 minutes ago, Marijuanoz said:

Hey guys, what about those 3 shotgun models that you were working on quite a while ago? Are we getting them in V10?

One more question, are shotguns someday the key to open doors again ? :3

Edited by Phoenixstorm

Shotguns are already in the game, but the current code doesn't allow us to make single round reloads. We're just using fake reload dry and mag switch states for them atm, exactly like for the SKS. Single round reloads shouldn't be hard to make, but there's just too much stuff going on right now that we just can't focus on them yet, so I would safely not expect them to be in v10.

Really really like the new collusion system ! I knew you guys were listening xD .

But it still seems like the weapon can go throw objects for a little .... How do other games manage to hide this effect ( atleaset in first person )  ? and can you guys do that too ? 

I still don't get this "never provide release date estimates" policy from OWI. At the end of the day, this stupid v10 hype and false expectations are purely caused by the lack of info from developers themselves. With no input, community is happy to jump on any update/release rumor out there and then rant about their expectations not fulfilled. It's pointless to give exact release dates, but some rough optimistic/pessimistic range (like v10 is coming middle December optimistically, but could be delayed to Feb) or some progress update to roadmap like "v10 is 50% ready" with every monthly update would settle this thing down.

@bravo2zero Are you suggesting something like a timeline map as a general target map, typically used in most project management to prevent scope creep? In the event that the target date may be missed (based on unforeseen challenges), adjust time-bar associated to project item and republish/communicate as vague transparency.

Incredible Recap! Thank you, dear Devs! I just wonder, why you prefered to implement the Tokarev instead of Stechkin?

3 hours ago, L0cation said:

Really really like the new collusion system ! 

Lol, somebody works for the Trump administration... :P 

3 hours ago, KaB said:

Shotguns are already in the game, but the current code doesn't allow us to make single round reloads. We're just using fake reload dry and mag switch states for them atm, exactly like for the SKS. Single round reloads shouldn't be hard to make, but there's just too much stuff going on right now that we just can't focus on them yet, so I would safely not expect them to be in v10.

thanks for clearing it up man

2 hours ago, PROTOCOL said:

@bravo2zero Are you suggesting something like a timeline map as a general target map, typically used in most project management to prevent scope creep? In the event that the target date may be missed (based on unforeseen challenges), adjust time-bar associated to project item and republish/communicate as vague transparency.

Yeah, I think a rough roadmap with some estimates would be a great thing. Not ranting or demanding, just feeling that this lack of transparency is doing a bad job for otherwise great game and development effort so far.