Sign in to follow this  
Sterek

cops and robbers

hello all i was thinking of a modded game mode, cops and robbers on a small city map with a bank. i know the game is supposed to be a military simulator but this engine would be great for cops and robbers. police models and you can use regular models for the robbers. what do you guys think? i know the game is far away from this type of game mode but maybe in the future you can have one. I was thinking of hosting my own rp server with white-list so you dont have to worry about idiots that break rp. 

Cool, definitely post your progress when you get it blocked out so people can give you feedback and whatever. If you're not changing the models for the first few iterations, you could probably knock out the first few concept versions in a couple of months just on your own. 

16 hours ago, Sterek said:

hello all i was thinking of a modded game mode, cops and robbers on a small city map with a bank. i know the game is supposed to be a military simulator but this engine would be great for cops and robbers. police models and you can use regular models for the robbers. what do you guys think? i know the game is far away from this type of game mode but maybe in the future you can have one. I was thinking of hosting my own rp server with white-list so you dont have to worry about idiots that break rp. 

Sounds cool! I suspect Squad's style would translate pretty well there, maybe even more so depending on the pacing. RP servers are super neat idea. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Don't forget to submit it to The Wrench. ;)

Yeah i had the same idea pretty much, with actual police uniforms/cars/firearms and different maps like suburbs etc...It all has to be modded in and i have no time to learn UE4, if you are lucky and have time and you don't back away as soon as you see a line of code as i do, you kind of have to do it yourself, squad devs won't bother with this.

15 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Cool, definitely post your progress when you get it blocked out so people can give you feedback and whatever. If you're not changing the models for the first few iterations, you could probably knock out the first few concept versions in a couple of months just on your own. 

will do im gonna start with a map and go from there

1 hour ago, Gatzby said:

Sounds cool! I suspect Squad's style would translate pretty well there, maybe even more so depending on the pacing. RP servers are super neat idea. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Don't forget to submit it to The Wrench. ;)

tahnsk i will keep this thread updated i kinda wanna do a coastal town rp map with a highway system and different roles maybe ems as well

9 hours ago, Sterek said:

will do im gonna start with a map and go from there

Can I just say from a developer's point of view, the map should be one of the last things you bother with. The only way that your mod will "succeed" or come to fruition is if you actually implement the gameplay that you described in the original post, and that part is the hard part. Not to detract from the awesome work that mappers do, it's very time consuming and requires a lot of artistic sense to get things looking spectacular and provide decent gameplay... but it's not fundamentally a complicated task to drag and drop assets onto a map or use 3rd party tools to generate/paint terrain.

Designing game logic and implementing that through blueprints (or Python in the future?) is a major hurdle that you'll have to face, and IMO it's better to tackle sooner than later because once you have the game logic working, you can apply it to existing maps for proof of concept gameplay tests... but if you start with a map the best you can do is play squad on a custom map which doesn't really help showcase your ideas/mod at all.