Gatzby

The Wrench - September 2017 Edition

Hi Squaddies,
Winter may not be coming for all of us, but at least partly on the northern side of this cute little blue ball the days are getting shorter, nights are getting colder and the people spend more time in front of their PC rummaging around inside the Squad SDK. So, let's see what this community came up with in the month of September before hibernation kicks in!
Join us on the Community Modding Discord where you can join discussions and meet the modding community. It's a great place to share your ideas and passion with like-minded people that will be happy to help you along the way.

middle_separator.png

Afghan Valleys by dazZz-666

Based around the regions of the Hindu Kush mountain ranges between Afghanistan and Pakistan, this map caters to everyone who enjoys fighting in my rural areas as well as people with a taste for urban combat. It has been made with an US vs. Insurgent layer in mind and something for all the fans of the Afghan theatre.

middle_separator.png

FN Minimi Mk3 by Pawin

pawin1.jpg
Made for the French Forces Squad mod, this work-in-progress weapon is already a beauty. For the modeler, Pawin, it was quite an unique experience because as everyone who tried to model a machine gun already knows: these things are complex and are filled with a lot of challenging components.
pawin2.jpg

middle_separator.png

Khe Sanh Combat Base by Socrates

socrates1.png
A regular appearance in these modding recaps, Socrates keeps on working on his Vietnam-themed map centered around the Khe Sanh Combat Base in South Vietnam. His focus for this month were the farms, dense jungles, and the trenches at the center of the map. From time to time, you can catch him streaming the development of the map on his Twitch channel for everyone to enjoy, so keep an eye on the Modding Discord to see it. Amazing to see all the pieces coming together!
socrates2.png
socrates3.png

middle_separator.png

Al Bab/Syr1a Map by SQ-MAK AVCI

mak1.jpg
Al Bab is a region in Syria not far from Aleppo, about 30 kilometers south of the Turkish border. SQ-MAK AVCI plans to develop a Turkish armed forces mod around this map and it's off to a great start!. So, let's hope we can experience urban street combat between the Turkish Armed Forces and Insurgents soon.
mak2.jpg
mak3.jpg
mak4.jpg

middle_separator.png

IDF Mod: West Bank Village by CreativeRealms

cr1.jpg
Already seen in a previous edition of The Wrench, CreativeRealms has made significant updates to his West Bank map since we've last seen it. He reworked the lighting and ground materials, as well as added some terraces and put some foliage down. The olive trees will provide great cover for any squad moving down the hill in its shadows. There's also a 360-degree view for everyone trying to get a grasp of the map here.
cr2.jpg

middle_separator.png

Silver by Elitelurker

elite1.jpg
Elitelurker is working on a map in a hilly region, filled with lush, but dry river banks, very steep hills, and winding roads all over it. The varied terrain should challenge squads with a variety of tactics and it will surely prove a challenge for designated drivers, too.
elite2.jpg

middle_separator.png

Squad Modding Hub Management Team Out.

P.S. Zeno loves you. 48zC5kjr.jpg?width=1214&height=683

Okay for some reason the join the discussion link took me to the old wrench, so I'll copypasta my comment. Absolutely love the look of the West Bank Village map and how foliage is rendered way out there. I can't stand being sniped from god-knows-where while laying down in knee-high grass. It also just looks nicer and more realistic.

30 minutes ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

Okay for some reason the join the discussion link took me to the old wrench, so I'll copypasta my comment. Absolutely love the look of the West Bank Village map and how foliage is rendered way out there. I can't stand being sniped from god-knows-where while laying down in knee-high grass. It also just looks nicer and more realistic.

I actually want to have a lot more foliage than there currently is in the map but might need to make my own due to performance issues. The general plan is to make it very hard to get sniped at a distance because it takes away some of the height advantage from the teams on the hills.

1 hour ago, LaughingJack said:

is content for these updates only being pulled from Discord?

They have a submissions form that goes up every month... but as far as I know that link only goes up in discord >.>

September's link (too late, just a fyi)

https://goo.gl/forms/M92noIo3DZyU4a5s1

Cheers @Psyrus much appreciated :)

@Gatzby: you need to provide links on the forum as well - Discord-only is not adequate  - oh, and the fact that Psyrus had to alert me.

Hi, 

I'm looking to join this modding community in Unreal Engine. I would like to see if there are ways I can contact the creators of these mods for guidance and support.

Thanks,

Michael

2 hours ago, michaelcycle13 said:

Hi, 

I'm looking to join this modding community in Unreal Engine. I would like to see if there are ways I can contact the creators of these mods for guidance and support.

Thanks,

Michael

You'll be able to find the mod creators in the modding Discord.

7 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

@Gatzby: you need to provide links on the forum as well - Discord-only is not adequate  - oh, and the fact that Psyrus had to alert me.

Most of the modding community is built from the Modding Discord (at least that's where most of it started) so our submission form is also always announced there.

We'll think about the call for submissions in the forums as well.

13 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

Cheers @Psyrus much appreciated :)

As r0tzbua says below, the modding folks are centralized on the Discord, and they work hard to get a lot of The Wrench together. But yeah, it would make sense to pass the link around more. =) Thanks for the feedback. 

(Totes join the Discord though; they're good people.)

This all looks very nice and promising I like it.

(minus the going up and down a hill without stamina which is going to be a pain....Better rally up high boys!)

10 hours ago, r0tzbua said:

Most of the modding community is built from the Modding Discord (at least that's where most of it started) so our submission form is also always announced there.

We'll think about the call for submissions in the forums as well.

i get that many people use Discord because it's the latest cool thing for kids to do but i don't have the time to waste wading through a social chat program when i can find what interests me in here(official forums) in seconds. i thought the modding forum was actually up before Discord.

5 hours ago, Gatzby said:

(Totes join the Discord though; they're good people.)

yeah i'm sure they are, that's not the issue. the issue is discord itself. i use it only when being ignored in the forums. it's a chat stream, nothing more, almost impossible to collate anything into any reasonable order, and wastes so much time trawling through the different streams to find anything interesting or relevant, i get frustrated or bored and leave.

i'm not asking for a miracle here, simply a link to the discord for the sub form - otherwise you are actively ignoring the part of the community that resides on the officail forums, wether you mean to or not.

EDIT: ok, so i just went to discord again, to trawl, and blow-me-down it's broken, again. it came up saying i had to register (again!? omg! 3rd f'ing time), of course it said the account was already in use - yeah, coz my account, stupid program, just let me use my account and .... ah whats the point complaining -  now i have no access again to even post a 'help me'.

Edited by LaughingJack
coz discord broke ... again!!!

4 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

EDIT: ok, so i just went to discord again, to trawl, and blow-me-down it's broken, again. it came up saying i had to register (again!? omg! 3rd f'ing time), of course it said the account was already in use - yeah, coz my account, stupid program, just let me use my account and .... ah whats the point complaining -  now i have no access again to even post a 'help me'.

I'm pretty sure it's a PEBKAC issue to be honest. 

You're referring to this screen right?

c2Rqg3IqRdm_6p2Yb5rVrg.png

Do you see the red box I've highlighted at the bottom there when you try to open the discord channel as well? Try logging in with those existing credentials of yours, mine worked just fine 3 minutes ago :) 

17 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

Feel free to ask for a hand. Currently on 17 Squad-related servers and they're all working smoothly, including the modding Discord. It's worth the endeavor because the modding community exists there; some aspects can definitely be made more accessible (e.g., the submission form), but the personalities, expertise, and discussions aren't going to magically appear elsewhere. =)

The Discord flow is significantly less complex than your average forum sign-up, and any two-factor authentication (If you were to enable it.) already works existing apps on both Apple and Android, where required. Verification is simple, quick, and industry standard via SMS or email. Their support is also highly responsive via Twitter, email, as well as having a help section that covers most issues. https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us. It sounds like you're trying to create a new account when you already know you have one. In this case, most people find a password reset or account retrieval approach infinitely more successful. You don't even need the app to do it; it's all available via your web browser: https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/218410947-I-forgot-my-Password-Where-can-I-set-a-new-one-

hi guys, sorry for my hissyfit yesterday. i think the problem was a combination of missing cookie and my frustration levels - appologies.

already works existing apps on both Apple and Android,

yeah, i don't do social media from my phone.

sounds like you're trying to create a new account when you already know you have one

yep. hence the missing cookie.

i'd just prefer that the forums not be left out, as seems to be the case since discord was started.