SourJ

Yet another FPS topic (low fps)

Hello Squaders,

I know there are tons of FPS topics already and I searched through a bunch I'm wondering is there any NEW way to increase FPS? This is NOT a discussion about getting new hardware or disputes between Intel and AMD I simply would like suggestions or help.

Currently getting 40-45 fps on almost every map however in heavy combat I drop to about 30-40.

My rig:

Athlon x4 860K Quad Core 4.0 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4096 MB

16GB ddr3 ram 

windows 10

Things ive tried:

lowered maxaudiothing to 96 from default

all settings preset LOW Ingame

Ive gone in the INI files and changed things to 0 based on forum posts ive read

turned audio to low quality and filtering off

drivers updated

Any ideas on how to increase FPS besides buying a new processor (i know i need a better one)

I dont care how the game looks i just want to be able to play with 50-60 fps at least!

Your FPS look really good for the used CPU, 50-60FPS min will force you to invest money, i think none with an older AMD CPU like you curetnly run has every reached these values in sqaud even when playing with "eyecancer Settings and gamyboy sound" .

A CPU Upgrade to current gen CPUs like Coffe Lake or Ryzen would result in buying new MB + Memory also and could get quit expensive with current Dram prices.

9 hours ago, SourJ said:

Hello Squaders,

I know there are tons of FPS topics already and I searched through a bunch I'm wondering is there any NEW way to increase FPS? This is NOT a discussion about getting new hardware or disputes between Intel and AMD I simply would like suggestions or help.

Currently getting 40-45 fps on almost every map however in heavy combat I drop to about 30-40.

My rig:

Athlon x4 860K Quad Core 4.0 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4096 MB

16GB ddr3 ram 

windows 10

Things ive tried:

lowered maxaudiothing to 96 from default

all settings preset LOW Ingame

Ive gone in the INI files and changed things to 0 based on forum posts ive read

turned audio to low quality and filtering off

drivers updated

Any ideas on how to increase FPS besides buying a new processor (i know i need a better one)

I dont care how the game looks i just want to be able to play with 50-60 fps at least!

is your RAM running at 1600MHz? if so and you can overclock that, you will maybe gain 3-5fps on the low's.

10 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

is your RAM running at 1600MHz? if so and you can overclock that, you will maybe gain 3-5fps on the low's.

Ill have to look into that I dont know how to check what its running at and ill find out how to overclock it thanks. 

10 hours ago, moppel said:

Your FPS look really good for the used CPU, 50-60FPS min will force you to invest money, i think none with an older AMD CPU like you curetnly run has every reached these values in sqaud even when playing with "eyecancer Settings and gamyboy sound" .

A CPU Upgrade to current gen CPUs like Coffe Lake or Ryzen would result in buying new MB + Memory also and could get quit expensive with current Dram prices.

Yea Im happy that I can even run squad I would love to be able to run it well. You are right Ill have to get a new MB and CPU to get 60. I was just trying to avoid that and play with the crappy fps I have in the meantime until I can afford new hardware.

I was hoping there was a way I could play the game with ''bare bones settings'' like Potato Mode that disables mostly everything thats taking my CPU.

Maybe in the future they will make a setting thats lower than low but I doubt the devs will anytime soon. The chances of me getting new hardware in a year or so is probably sooner than they will apply a fix for FPS. 

When I purchased Squad I went on the website ''can i run it'' to see if my PC qualifys to play squad and it showed that my rig met all requirements. Was bummed out to have 30 fps at times I really enjoy the game its a buzz kill to have low fps.

Ive searched the ends of the internet for tweaks they helped a lot but they were all so outdated threads from 2015 , 2016 so I was wondering if theres any new tweaks for 2017 version of squad. 

24 minutes ago, SourJ said:

So my motherboard is Asrock FM2A58M-HD+ Do you guys know what CPU is compatible that would run squad better than what im getting now? 

Intel Core i5-7600K

Intel Core i7-7700K?

Unfortunately that's not how it works. Trying to put an intel 2017 CPU into a 2015 AMD motherboard is like trying to charge your Samsung Galaxy S8 with an old iPhone 4 charger :)

20 hours ago, SourJ said:

So my motherboard is Asrock FM2A58M-HD+ Do you guys know what CPU is compatible that would run squad better than what im getting now? 

Intel Core i5-7600K

Intel Core i7-7700K?

I dont know even if these are work with it ><

sorry im a noob to building PC's im just winging it

Or is this a garbage motherboard?

It looks like the 880k would be the best cpu you could get for your mobo. Not sure how much it would help though?

51 minutes ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

It looks like the 880k would be the best cpu you could get for your mobo. Not sure how much it would help though?

Yea im almost afraid to buy it and i get the same FPS... Prob should just save the money for a new MB I think you may be right its only one step up from my current CPU

20 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Unfortunately that's not how it works. Trying to put an intel 2017 CPU into a 2015 AMD motherboard is like trying to charge your Samsung Galaxy S8 with an old iPhone 4 charger :)

Lol yea im a noob at this stuff I see your point

Can anyone recommend a Mother Board and CPU thats inexpensive that could handle squad? Would prefer Intel im done with AMD....

I APPRECIATE THE HELP!!!!

thanks for your time

Edited by SourJ

1 hour ago, SourJ said:

Can anyone recommend a Mother Board and CPU thats inexpensive that could handle squad? Would prefer Intel im done with AMD....

Could you give me/us an idea of what your definition of "inexpensive" is?

Before looking into new hardware, do you have a custom CPU cooler on your 860K? If so, pushing it up to 4.5+ghz may yield you some decent extra frames... assuming you're CPU bottlenecked.

Next time you're in game and your FPS is dropping down, type in "stat unit" and take note of the numbers (or screenshot/record them) and post what they say over here. We can then determine which of the two (CPU side, GPU side) is holding you back. 

3 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Could you give me/us an idea of what your definition of "inexpensive" is?

Before looking into new hardware, do you have a custom CPU cooler on your 860K? If so, pushing it up to 4.5+ghz may yield you some decent extra frames... assuming you're CPU bottlenecked.

Next time you're in game and your FPS is dropping down, type in "stat unit" and take note of the numbers (or screenshot/record them) and post what they say over here. We can then determine which of the two (CPU side, GPU side) is holding you back. 

I will do this!  is there a console to type it in? I think theres something in the settings I can enable this its called debug mode or something im not sure but it shows a bunch of numbers on the top right thanks! Also Inexpensive is like ~$50-200 

Update: I disabled Steam overlay and downloaded razor game booster and ended up at a steady 40-60fps even with a lot of action going on, since game booster I haven't dropped below 40. This was all on a high pop server of 78 people on numerous maps. Also added steam launch options:

-nomansky -USEALLAVAILABLECORES -sm4 -d3d10

^dont know what they do or if they work but seems to help

Edited by SourJ

1 hour ago, SourJ said:

Also Inexpensive is like ~$50-200 

In that case I would definitely recommend saving your money for a longer period to afford an "intermediate" upgrade. Your RAM is currently DDR3 I assume, but almost all new platforms use DDR4 currently, so a RAM upgrade would also be required. I can't see any upgrade path that would cost less than $380-420 that would net you constant 60FPS in squad @ 1080p from your current rig. 

1 hour ago, SourJ said:

is there a console to type it in? I think theres something in the settings I can enable

There is a console, and it's also in the settings menu "Toggle performance statistics" I believe. Either way will do. 

Glad to hear the gamebooster helped you out. That means you are most likely still CPU bound. 

First of all iam with Psyrus with waiting a bit longer and save some more money and do a plattform overhaul to CFL8400 + S1151V2 or Ryzen5 + AM 4 + DDR 4

Investing in your current platform will gain you nothing noticable at squad.

Never then less if you want new stuff now around ~200 bucks, some h170(h110 have only 2 ramslots (i assume you got 4x4Gb sticks)) boards still support DDR3 so a vaible option would be a H170 board like

Asus H170M-E D3 

and a Skylake I5 like i5 6400/6500

This way you could avoid current Dram prices but would also buy a deathend plattform with likely no Upgrade option in future and a good Memorybandwith bottleneck.

Another option sell your 16 Gb DDr3 (DDR3 price is still high) buy some DDr4 from this money and invest 60-80 in a B350 AM4 board and around 120 in a Ryzen 1300X with cooler.

This combination would be more Futureprof cause you can upgrade to 8 core ryzen 7 in the Futur and so on.

Another possibility would be used parts something like a Z68 Board + 2600K + some OC but then again with littel Computerknowledge OC is normaly a frustrating option and used buy can lead fastly to be scamed.

Pirces i wroth depend on your location ( i used a German Shop )

Edited by moppel

23 hours ago, Psyrus said:

https://imgur.com/a/f9LmJ    here is my numbers

Edited by SourJ

1 hour ago, SourJ said:

https://imgur.com/a/f9LmJ    here is my numbers

Have I misunderstood something? I was under the impression you were playing at 30+ FPS even on full servers, but what I see there is sub-20 FPS numbers... and yes entirely being bottlenecked by the CPU in your case (game thread). Did the FPS only drop down when you took the screenshots, perhaps?

That's a very bad picture..
Think your settings are incorrect.
And yes, you have a good card (no need) but a bad processor and motherboard.
Replacing is not that expensive.

I have
6600K 4200 mhz
970 gtx

Then you have the best price quality ratio.

currently gives 50-70 fps, supersampling 1.5 and everything at the highest, full server

Cleared game cache after last build (=update) ?

Settings > Game Settings > Clear cached user data > Apply settings > Restart Squad (+Win)..

That clear all of your current key bindings + all settings and so on...

But it should be done after any Squad update. DO IT!

Edited by Hiikeri

On 10/19/2017 at 2:42 AM, Psyrus said:

In that case I would definitely recommend saving your money for a longer period to afford an "intermediate" upgrade. Your RAM is currently DDR3 I assume, but almost all new platforms use DDR4 currently, so a RAM upgrade would also be required. I can't see any upgrade path that would cost less than $380-420 that would net you constant 60FPS in squad @ 1080p from your current rig. 

There is a console, and it's also in the settings menu "Toggle performance statistics" I believe. Either way will do. 

Glad to hear the gamebooster helped you out. That means you are most likely still CPU bound. 

In what way is a DDR4 upgrade required. If you are someone who wants the best performance in 99% of games your money will be best spent on a better cpu/gpu. I can't think of any game that shows "noticeable" performance from ddr4 ram. Maybe if you want to future proof your computer then it may be a good idea. But I really can't think of a way it is future proofing it to? By the time his ram is actually keeping his system down he would have upgraded his entire computer. 

On 10/18/2017 at 8:40 PM, SourJ said:

Yea im almost afraid to buy it and i get the same FPS... Prob should just save the money for a new MB I think you may be right its only one step up from my current CPU

Lol yea im a noob at this stuff I see your point

I APPRECIATE THE HELP!!!!

thanks for your time

It depends what your budget is. The cheapest CPU that can run squad at minimal specs is Intel Pentium G4600. It's a dual core cpu clocked at 3.6. You can't overclock the chip, but then again that means you won't have to spend money on a after market cooler. If you want to spend a bit more money go for a i5-7600k. You can get a aftermarket cooler and overclock the heck out of it. 

Edited by godamntwitch

On 21.10.2017 at 11:26 PM, godamntwitch said:

On 19.10.2017 at 8:42 AM, Psyrus said:

In what way is a DDR4 upgrade required. If you are someone who wants the best performance in 99% of games your money will be best spent on a better cpu/gpu. I can't think of any game that shows "noticeable" performance from ddr4 ram

Well with the exception of Skylake thats also EoL any new plattform will require DDR4 you don`t have a Choice to keep your DDR3 .

Ramspeed ( dosent matter if its DDR4 or DDR4 ) on almost any game in CPU limited scences.

Some  sensitive Examples , ARMA 3 , Witcher 3 ; BF 4 .... SQUAD someone with a 6700K here in forums did a test while back and got noteabale gains from 2133 -3200.

Have to find the balance in Ram buying while DDR4000 cost at least twice as much then 2133 , DDR 3000/3200 can be aquired for 10-20 % higher cost thats the sweetspot i personaly looking for.

On 11/6/2017 at 6:30 AM, moppel said:

Well with the exception of Skylake thats also EoL any new plattform will require DDR4 you don`t have a Choice to keep your DDR3 .

Ramspeed ( dosent matter if its DDR4 or DDR4 ) on almost any game in CPU limited scences.

Some  sensitive Examples , ARMA 3 , Witcher 3 ; BF 4 .... SQUAD someone with a 6700K here in forums did a test while back and got noteabale gains from 2133 -3200.

Have to find the balance in Ram buying while DDR4000 cost at least twice as much then 2133 , DDR 3000/3200 can be aquired for 10-20 % higher cost thats the sweetspot i personaly looking for.

Forgot about that, thanks for the correction.I did a little reading on Kaby Lake, it also has new features like intel Optane. 

Get any quadcore from the 6th Core-I Series onward. Every AMD upgrade that is not ryzen is wasted money.

Got my Kit (i5 6600k, decent z170 mainboard and 16gb ddr4 @ 2133Mhz) used for 280€. A year ago. It can cost even less today. Combined with a GTX780 i'm gpu bound at 50+fps 24/7 and so will you.

@Super Sniper Full Server with highest settings and 1.5 ssaa on a gtx970 = 50-70fps...

[  ] You just mistook a 970 for a 1070 (slight performance diffrence).

[  ] Your 970 is liquid nitrogen cooled, running at 2000+/2000+.

[x] Bullshit

Edited by moeppling