Gatzby

Animation System Update

Finally !!!! functional scopes. Holy shit !, only thing that still needs fixed is rework on the actual scopes themselfs as the mildots, reticle and scale are way to tiny to read.

Arma 3 example of a PSO scope

dms-scopes8mu8i.jpg

2 hours ago, -MG said:

Finally !!!! functional scopes. Holy shit !, only thing that still needs fixed is rework on the actual scopes themselfs as the mildots, reticle and scale are way to tiny to read.

Arma 3 example of a PSO scope

dms-scopes8mu8i.jpg

that's actually the realistic proportions, because they have to be that size to function as they would irl

41 minutes ago, NotBrad said:

that's actually the realistic proportions, because they have to be that size to function as they would irl

Yup, i'm curious if range calculation with the M110 leopold scope mildots is working aswel.Since Rangefinders are meant for Designated Snipers. 
I would not know another way to actually be able to zero in and shoot shit. 

None the less, this part is kind of making me interested again in Squad. 

8 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

Eveything you teased looks very convincing and professional. Awesome stuff.

I was wondering, will you blur the back of the weapons during ads? I saw it in the August video but not in the new ones.

Also, what does this mean?:

and setting the weapons up by our game designers in order to give flavour to the system

Blur will be back as it's really easy to setup but it's low priority, and coders are already overbooked by many other important tasks.

Designers set all the weapons properties (except the animations), like recoil, sway, spring, etc. And those features use the anim system in order to have effects in the game.

11 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

only one thing i don't like; the range adjustment for iron sights - please let me get used to the gun rather than handhold me to the correct elevation  - i personally don't like any zeroing of scopes outside a "sniper" class, particularly for this level of game, you just need to get use to the gun(s).

Im pretty sure they won't just let you click a button and it makes autozeroing. You need to judge the distance and cycle to the correct setting youself. So if you judge 500m and it is really only 300m you will miss.

11 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

personally don't like any zeroing of scopes outside a "sniper" class, particularly for this level of game, you just need to get use to the gun(s).

ACOG and PSO scopes have a built in scale to find ranges. Very simple and easy to use. Zero-ing with ironsight is spoopy, you have no means of being sure except judgement. Oh, did anyone tell you that elevation and decline from hills means you need to compensate extra due bulletdrop ?. 

This article is a great insight view of a game's aspect that everyone love (animations) but it is really hard to do!

This give a easy idea of what a part of the DEV team (9 peoople) is working on, and how hard it can be too achieve! Well done guys and great article!

Some tidbits from around the web from our developers:

motherdear gives us some insight into the optic jittering:

Chuc touches on the conversion from Blueprints to C++: 

Just in case you were worried about Marksmen tracers:

Which leads us to the calibre of Marksmen rounds, though not directly related to animation:

And last, but assuredly not least, Kory weighs in on the animation system:

6 hours ago, Exionas said:

Primary-Arms-PAC4X-ACSS-Reticle.jpg

It's "easy" to guess the distance once you know they way it works.Are the scopes going to be set in yards for USA ,and meters for Russians?

The standard unit of measurement for US Army is Metric, therefore the scopes(btw the sight picture you used for reference is Primary Arm's 5x prism scope used by civilian only) are not going to be set in yards as in real life it doesn't either.

Btw i forgot to ask.....The leopold scope. Since Rangefinders are for designated snipers only. How are we gonna be capable to know exact distance ?. 
Will we get a player model height ?. So we can do the Average model height x 1000 devided by amount of mildots in height the player makes in mildots ?. Resulting in range of player to your location. 

Edited by -MG

13 hours ago, KaB said:

Blur will be back as it's really easy to setup but it's low priority, and coders are already overbooked by many other important tasks.

Designers set all the weapons properties (except the animations), like recoil, sway, spring, etc. And those features use the anim system in order to have effects in the game.

Thank you, sir.

49 minutes ago, Draco said:

Nooooo :(((( The M4 isn't held by the magwell anymore, it has that shitty boring handguard grip :( oh man

Honestly.. after spending years with that magwell clamp hand seeing the regular handguard/rail method is refreshing. It probably looks really awkward with the way the weapon was shifted to be lower. :D

1 hour ago, Draco said:

Nooooo :(((( The M4 isn't held by the magwell anymore, it has that shitty boring handguard grip :( oh man

What? We had that clamp for years, now that is boring.

I think the new grip is really refreshing. Please keep it.

Edited by carmikaze

It is refreshing but magwell grips look much more aesthetically pleasing for me, especially on AKs. Hope they held it for the AK74 and hopefully added it for the AKM. Russian soldiers are taught to grip it by the magwell since it doesnt expose your arm as much and it's much less tiring 

Matter of personal preference I guess.

Edited by Draco

But as soon as you want to shoot, you will have far better control of the rifle when doing the clamp on the RIS.

Edited by carmikaze