Peerun

Narva night version and why it'd work

Lights. Lights, lights, lights. If Narva had a nightime version that had all the streetlamps light up it'd be impossible to cheat with raising your gamma.
Keep your gamma at normal levels and it's hard to see through the shadows. Turn your gamma up and it's impossible to see anything in the lighted areas.

Only if you can shed a light on the subject. 

yeah. Back on subject, there is supposed to be champion settings that stop changing gamma, dunno if that works. 

While certainly not conventional, you could also go the other way, and make the map lighting so dark that turning up the gamma is a intentional requirement for everyone. :P

The streetlamp idea is cool though, I like that.

Well, I'm thinking past tournament mode and what you said Verdin, as both of those things are irrelevant when you can either force the gamma through a graphics card or even just in your monitor if you have one that allows it.

But that's irrelevant, as I think everyone would like to see more nightmaps in pub matches, if only they weren't so annoying.

8 hours ago, Peerun said:

Lights. Lights, lights, lights. If Narva had a nightime version that had all the streetlamps light up it'd be impossible to cheat with raising your gamma.
Keep your gamma at normal levels and it's hard to see through the shadows. Turn your gamma up and it's impossible to see anything in the lighted areas.

"Cheat"?

I'm curious how it's possible to "cheat" using only the gamma settings built into the game? Elaborate how exactly adjusting a gamma slider is cheating please...

3 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I'm curious how it's possible to "cheat" using only the gamma settings built into the game? Elaborate how exactly adjusting a gamma slider is cheating please...

Putting the Gamma settings up to 2.7 or above will render any night map as if it was a day map, basically. There is no loss of visibility for those people, but for those who do not adjust their gamma on the night maps, they are at a significant disadvantage. 

I wouldn't call it a "cheat" though, just bad sportsmanship

I think every night map should be like using max gamma settings, not so darker but not so bright. we just need something different some times.

Yeah, fools roads will be real crazy again, just like every other map with night variations.

I forced a balanced brightness setting in a cod4 map i made. Really bright lit areas and dark shadows.

516c5f3d94a38.jpg

Lots of pics here.

https://gamebanana.com/maps/173670

I thought it was good.

If all the building interiors were lit in Narva then it might force players onto the darker streets. 

20 hours ago, Peerun said:

Unless everyone get NVG, this is really the only practical way to have night maps, configure your rig to get the balance you want, but hard to go too far either way. Outside cones of light from lamps and bright interiors with dark surroundings.