Sign in to follow this  
FeatherSton3

Ambient noise and other sounds

Was thinking it would be cool just to add to the immersive  effect of the game by having things such as:

- Radio chatter in humvees

- Radio chatter coming from SL's radio pack

- Gun noises in the distance (outside the map)

- Sound of wind/Rain

- bridges creaking

- fences making noise when you hit them (Have 500 hours in this game, can't remember if this is a thing already, sorry)

I could go on and on. You get the point. Probably not a huge priority, but one I would assume wouldn't be hard to implement. Just some little things to make it more immersive. What do you think?

I like the idea overall, but I'll have to play devil's advocate:

- Radio chatter in humvees

May cause audio from incoming enemy vehicles to not be heard. At least way less than it would be without the radio chatter.

28 minutes ago, FeatherSton3 said:

- Radio chatter coming from SL's radio pack

If it's the same radio chatter as the one coming out from FOB it will actually be a great way to make the enemies around you (or underneath you in a building) think there's a FOB there. If it's different radio chatter perhaps not so much as we will learn to differentiate the sounds over time.

It will also prevent the SL from sneaking with his Squad around enemies to safety or towards an objective.

28 minutes ago, FeatherSton3 said:

- Gun noises in the distance (outside the map)

That already exists in a few maps, one example that comes to mind is Fool's Road where you can hear mortars going off but there's actually no one there (far south side of the map past the water). I was looking for an enemy mortar team for a solid 5 minutes just to realize it's ambient noise and not an actual mortar team. smh....

---

The rest of the stuff you mentioned and I'm sure a bunch of others would work phenomenally. Overall good idea just needs to be implemented the right way to avoid confusion or limit certain roles and tactics. 

Edited by CptDirty

While I like the most ambient noises, I think they should only be noises that aren't the same as those generated by players. I like that if I hear gunfire in Squad, it means there's contact somewhere and it drives me crazy when I play LAT that on some maps there are distant ambient truck sounds, which is just confusing. 

10 hours ago, CptDirty said:

That already exists in a few maps, one example that comes to mind is Fool's Road where you can hear mortars going off but there's actually no one there (far south side of the map past the water). I was looking for an enemy mortar team for a solid 5 minutes just to realize it's ambient noise and not an actual mortar team. smh....

Thats a known bug actually. The narrative I've heard heard all along is there was to be no ambient battle/warfare audio in any maps and a quick visit to the area in question in UE4 confirms this as there are no audio assets in the area besides the water sounds associated with the river.