Kriechbaum

Transition time in vehicles (driver to gunner, etc.)

Hello everybody, 

Are there plans to implement a transition time when entering, leaving or switching seats inside vehicles? 

Anybody of you who served in an armored vehicle knows, that it is quite tricky to get from the drivers to the gunners seat. Takes some time. 

I think it would be beneficial to make it  ca. 2 or 3 seconds (which is still pretty arcade) to transition between gunner and driver to make soloing more of a disadvantage and maybe even to enter and leave the vehicle. 

It would be also cool to make it always say two (non - crew)  people at a time every second to leave the vehicle (for armored vehicles) , so there is some security needed before dropping infantry. Because at the moment you can fly through a village going 70km/h and dropping off an entire squad without even decreasing speed. 

With the time delay implemented, funny rushing/crashing into enemy positions and immediately deploying an entire squad would disappear as the most vulnerable moment of APCs would be part of the game. 

On the other hand, vehicles like technicals would maintain the fast disembarking, as they are open. 

The transition time could be a simple fade out - fade in phase. 

Edited by Kriechbaum

1 hour ago, Kriechbaum said:

Hello everybody, 

Are there plans to implement a transition time when entering, leaving or switching seats inside vehicles? 

Anybody of you who served in an armored vehicle knows, that it is quite tricky to get from the drivers to the gunners seat. Takes some time. 

I think it would be beneficial to make it  ca. 2 or 3 seconds (which is still pretty arcade) to transition between gunner and driver to make soloing more of a disadvantage and maybe even to enter and leave the vehicle. 

It would be also cool to make it always say two (non - crew)  people at a time every second to leave the vehicle (for armored vehicles) , so there is some security needed before dropping infantry. Because at the moment you can fly through a village going 70km/h and dropping off an entire squad without even decreasing speed. 

With the time delay implemented, funny rushing/crashing into enemy positions and immediately deploying an entire squad would disappear as the most vulnerable moment of APCs would be part of the game. 

On the other hand, vehicles like technicals would maintain the fast disembarking, as they are open. 

The transition time could be a simple fade out - fade in phase. 

Transition time is a very good suggestion , in PR for example we had a weird system where when a guy switched to the gunner sit there was a short time before he could use the turret , but that was even for things like humves which is less efficient becuase a driver should be able to use a 50 cal when needed . so i think that your suggestion is the best - make it about 2-5 seconds depenting on the action the player is trying to perform . 

Edited by L0cation

Good suggestion! It looks like something that should be easy to do (well...compared to animation system, inventory and so on :) )

Before V10 chaos hits us, I would like to see more of this sort of things implemented and tested into gameplay. It seems to me that tweaks like this should be introduced as soon as possible to test it properly (fine tuning).

Edited by Disco

Great idea, only a bit sceptical about the fade in fade out, as this affects your awareness. But its still better than nothing and way easier than real animations.

On 11.10.2017 at 6:57 PM, Rook said:

Great idea, only a bit sceptical about the fade in fade out, as this affects your awareness. But its still better than nothing and way easier than real animations.

Well, that's the idea. When climbing from drivers to gunners seat, you can't exactly see  anything outside of the vehicle. You turn around and climb through the inside of the vehicle, that's already quite tricky. That way, infantry that is fighting a solo vehicle crew has a more realistic chance to approach and engage. 

Like the idea,  think would like full stop from exiting too.

+1 for a transition time and a full stop to exit. If you're in an enclosed vehicle, you can't get out while it's moving, if you're in an open vehicle and jump out, you should take damage proportionate to the vehicle speed. 

sounds like a good idea (time pause/delay) for seat swapping.

what exactly would constitute "stopped" for a vehicle? i really think a maximum speed/velocity to stop you getting out would be better - say over 20kph? otherwise you could have issues of when the game engine decides that the vehicle is "stopped" and not shuffling/shimmying on objects or rolling after stopped. i also think the "fall over and get up" thing is fine for exiting at speed - it forces a pause on you so you cannot exit from a vehicle and shoot at the same time.

i'd love to watch ppl jump out of a moving humv and do a roll to come up shooting. Realism can take a break for the coolness factor.

Perhaps throw in a random ragdoll just for lols.

Even better, make it a keypress combination which you need to time just right. Sort out the pro's from the noobs ;) Eg Exit - Prone - Crouch to a specific count and you roll out of the moving vehicle and land in a comfortable crouch. Fail to do this and you ragdoll.

Should be limited to vehicles with side access, not from the rear of an APC.

Also please add skidding to the brake/steering system with a nice effect :) 

16 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

sounds like a good idea (time pause/delay) for seat swapping.

what exactly would constitute "stopped" for a vehicle? i really think a maximum speed/velocity to stop you getting out would be better - say over 20kph? otherwise you could have issues of when the game engine decides that the vehicle is "stopped" and not shuffling/shimmying on objects or rolling after stopped. i also think the "fall over and get up" thing is fine for exiting at speed - it forces a pause on you so you cannot exit from a vehicle and shoot at the same time.

Stopped could be <5kmh or similar to account for random movement. If you couldn't exit a moving vehicle at speed, I think it would add incentive to play more cautiously with vehicles since you're more vulnerable when stopped, and being stopped can be a sign you're offloading troops. Blazing through a hot area at full speed and successfully insta dropping unharmed infantry like now is unnecessarily gamey. 

I thought they had already earmarked this for improvement where you could not switch roles immediately ?

9 hours ago, LugNut said:

Stopped could be <5kmh or similar to account for random movement. If you couldn't exit a moving vehicle at speed, I think it would add incentive to play more cautiously with vehicles since you're more vulnerable when stopped, and being stopped can be a sign you're offloading troops. Blazing through a hot area at full speed and successfully insta dropping unharmed infantry like now is unnecessarily gamey. 

agreed. in JO we could ghosty any vehicle into peeps or objects simply by exiting at speed - it was a thing we did all the time because it was easy.

i still think @15kph or so you should still be allowed to exit but with the fall-down-get-up-again animation as a penalty.

+1would approve.

This hole solo crew man gameplay we have at the moment needs a nerf.

This could help. 

1 hour ago, Axel said:

+1would approve.

This hole solo crew man gameplay we have at the moment needs a nerf.

This could help. 

Excaltly my thoughts, you nail it.

The number of times I have ambushed an APC driving down a road with an RPG, only to see it roll to a gentle halt as the turret starts frantically swivelling about, searching for me, then kills me right before I have reloaded and drives off again is ridiculous.  

Its game breaking and immersion breaking.  This system would change the meta in such situations to:

Option A) Driver keeps going, knowing he has little chance of getting me in time before rocket no.2.  In this situation, its fair enough: he couldn't defend himself so decided to flee, and I got a hit in on it which reduces its combat effectiveness.  Effectively nerfed.

Option B) Driver attempts to defend himself, takes an almost guaranteed 2nd rocket and is either toast or very close to death before he gets me.  Better yet, the 2nd rocket would probably have come during the "blackout" phase, enabling me to simply lie still and slink away (reloading the RPG is extremely obvious and makes you easy to pick out of a bush).  Again, effectively nerfed.

This is an obvious improvement.  

This would also need to be implemented for entering/exiting vehicles.  At the end of the day, its the same thing as switching seats, when you think about it.  Not least because a "transition" timer only would mean that the meta for gunner->driver would just be "get out -> get in", and you are pretty much back to square one.

When entering: character model disappears instantly (as now) to avoid you being shot during blackout sequence "unfairly" (although fairness is debatable as you made the call).  However, you do not gain control again for roughly 1 or 2 seconds to simulate you taking up your position/fastening in/closing hatches etc.  Blackout fades away as you regain control.  This has the benefit of stopping someone instantly take over as driver (if the driver is killed in a techie for example) or gunner (in a Humvee for example, with a driver already in) and having no disruption to their effectiveness.  

When exiting: Same 1 or 2 seconds blackout delay (but your character model remains in the vehicle).  Blackout goes away just as you appear outside the vehicle.  Again for "fairness" reasons to stop players being easily picked off while in zombie mode, but this also has the added benefit of removing the vehicle combat cheese tactic of getting out just as your vehicle blows up.  The driver can see the health status of his vehicle diminish to machinegun fire at an incredibly constant rate, allowing him (and the crew with good communication) perfect dismount timing to maximise damage exchanged before safely walking away from the burning wreck.  This is BS, and undermines the a large part of destroying enemy vehicles if no crew is also lost.

This also has the added benefit of helping to discourage "rapid dismounts".  I think that a speed limit should be applied as stated here as well (not as a hard rule, but as damage/ragdoll if done at speed).  The main benefit of the blackout and delay, however, is that it would also solve an extremely arcadey tactic of having 2 LATs (with rockets prepped before entering) being able to instantly dismount and take out an enemy APC at the very beginning of the armour duel.  As this often happens with the APCs headbutting each other, a speed requirement for dismount would not be sufficient to discourage this tactic alone.  Let alone the fact that any vehicle wanting to rapidly deploy troops would simply ram into a tree/wall/enemy armour (effectively stopping instantly) if there was only a speed restriction.  That alone would not be enough, and would probably make things worse.  We need the blackout and delay phase also.

Fantastic idea and should be implemented asap.  Fixes so many problems.

Edited by Kendo

I play LAT a lot, and I hate that the LAT is effectively nerfed because you have a very slow transition between rockets or switching to primary and either the driver or gunner can insta beam out with gun at the ready, run up and shoot you in the face in the middle of them. I end up being forced to tailor my attacks to try to avoid this scenario, hit them from distance, or hit them from behind so they never see the incoming rocket. If they have a clue where you are, you're dead. 

Good points Kendo. 

But i always get a bad driver or bad gunner when i dont solo, unless its Jarlen(AEjarl) or Dogbite #sadface

But it does feel weird disembarking troops at 70 km/h 

Edited by Voice

On 19/10/2017 at 6:36 PM, Axel said:

... This hole solo crew man gameplay we have at the moment needs a nerf.

This could help. 

2-3 seconds switching delay would not stop me from soloing a vehicle (if i wanted to) or reduce my ability to solo it - it would only slow down the pace slightly, which is hardly an effective nerf.

You want a serious effort at nerfing, it then make the delay 10-15 seconds and then add a startup delay to the weapon(s) switched to, ie: turn the weapon "on"(power-up, reload, initiate - whatever word you use) each time you swap to it.

On 10/19/2017 at 11:23 AM, LugNut said:

I play LAT a lot, and I hate that the LAT is effectively nerfed because you have a very slow transition between rockets or switching to primary and either the driver or gunner can insta beam out with gun at the ready, run up and shoot you in the face in the middle of them. I end up being forced to tailor my attacks to try to avoid this scenario, hit them from distance, or hit them from behind so they never see the incoming rocket. If they have a clue where you are, you're dead. 

Good points Kendo. 

sounds like it's working perfectly to me.