Jump to content
Wilbaaah

More Map commands for SLs

Recommended Posts

I've not been playing long, love the game, as someone who is not great at FPS I like trying to lead squads, I feel we are missing a few simple basics when it comes to marking up the map to provide strategies/orders. 

 

Quite simply SLs should be able to draw a bit more on the map for the squad to view. I'm talking about lines to indicate desired  troop movernment paths, no go zones, -attack angles, frieldly artillery zones, defensive lines..  etc. This would greatly compliment the excellent squad voip chat we currently use. 

Maybe also a seperate layer that just  SLs can see would be great, to aid coordination with one another. 

the ability to provide individual objectives drawn on map for individual squad menbers of the team could be great.

 

the way enemy positions are currently pinned on map could also be improved I think. 

 

Dont know what the feeling would be on this but I think it would really assist team planning and strategic collaborative gameplay for SLs, and their team

 

cheers for reading

Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or even just a markup pen and eraser that allows drawing on the map. Would've thought this would be very simple to implement and it would make a big difference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the game used to have the ability but twats would just draw all over the map.. racist stuff etc.. just became a nightmare...also note there are already posts about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, embecmom said:

the game used to have the ability but twats would just draw all over the map.. racist stuff etc.. just became a nightmare...also note there are already posts about this.

How long ago was this? I never saw this and i have been playing since steam EA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Romby said:

How long ago was this? I never saw this and i have been playing since steam EA.

early EA had the ability for multiple icons ... and peeps just blocked the map up with it... was there when I joined when it first came onto steam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies guys, and the reference to the other post, interesting and good to see it's been discussed before. With regards to map vandalism and clutter, it's also interesting to hear that Has been abused in the past. 

 

Although,.. the standard infantryman should only be concerned/able to see markups his own SL is presenting, he/she doesn't need to see anything else, nor does he/she need access to draw on the map.

 

SLs currently seem to treat the map with respect, so giving them extra tools for collaboration can only be good.

 

my suggestion was really this. 

 

Two maps/layers -

 

Map 1 - Squad map (the normal map)

1. Markups made by local SL only Visible to the 9 members of the local squad.

2. Only the local SL has rights to markup and erase items. 

 

Map 2 - command map (SLs only)

1. Markups only visible to the SLs on that side

2. All SLs have rights to markup and erase items

SEPERATE TOPIC MAYBE (each SL and squad could be represented by a different colour - rather than the generic 'not my squad blue' would be much simpler to see the health / togetherness of other squads in your team )  

 

constructive criticism please? :)

 

 

 

Edited by Wilbaaah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Wilbaaah In regards to your suggestion about 2 different maps, one for Squad and another for Squad leaders, I think it will result in a large number of confused players even if the idea sounds good.

 

As with any suggestion ever made, I always advocate the lowest common denominator and keeping it simple. Basically making it idiot-proof. Just simply add map gestures back into the game using the same single map everyone in the team can see as well as the current markers. Literally keep everything the way it is now and just add map gestures for SL's only. 

 

The reason it was taken away was due to a lot of trolls drawing vulgar and obscene things. Considering anyone can create a Squad, anyone was then able to draw on the map which I remember pissed me and a lot of other people off.

 

This, unfortunately time and time again, ties into many other problematic threads such as this one:

 

Where I have addressed the issue of players picking up the game to simply troll or un-experienced players creating squads without actually properly leading which results in horrible gameplay and quick losses. Literally one must be blind not to see how a well built tutorial guide/getting started/basic training is going to eliminate a significant amount of trolls and enhance coop gameplay.

 

It'll be refreshing and sign of relief to have someone answer these questions or give a definitive statement as to whether or not these things are even considered. So far I'm seeing a lot of discussion between frustrated players but NOTHING from anyone remotely important from the development or PR team or even moderators. I guess locking threads is a full time job lol...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again cptDirty for the input and extra insight. 

I agree simplicity is a better approach, if an idea is to grows legs it's easier received as a starting point. Maybe I've got carried away. 

 

If the Devs don't have eyes on the forums at least a bit then that's a shame and a bigger problem... also trolls.. well they are everywhere unfortunately although I see far fewer in this game than in others (the community seems generally to want to collaborate positively) 

 

if i drop the fluff and boil down what I want, then I'll leave it at that. 

 

- I want a few more tools for SLs to effectively command their own squad. 

 

- i want to draw on the map, only I can draw, and only my own squad can see what I draw. If I'm not SL, no drawing, 

 

- no other SLs see what I draw, neither to the general team, just my squad. 

 

- I'd make this the rule also with the enemy markers, I don't want my squad seeing an fob marker or a vehicle marker that another SL places... it's only likely to distract my own squad from their own objective. If it affects my squad (like it's in proximity) then that SL can radio it to me and I can inform my team and mark it myself. I often see one of my AT guys wondering off to a redundant vehicle marker placed by someone else 10 minutes before... 

 

- if I'm playing as a regular recruit, and my SL is abusing this (drawing dicks or whatever) i simply leave the squad along with everyone else, the SL is likely crap anyway. It affects no other players. 

 

If we did have a second 'command map',

- only accessible to SLs , (using a different key) I Don't think it would confuse the 4-6 SLs on the team. Again I dont want the content on this map seem by anyone other than the SLs. 

 

only downside as you say is anyone can make themselves an SL and *** up the map (although it would only affect the other SLs using the command map) and this one could be restricted to the use of 1 single drag arrow and 1 attack /defend marker . 

 

Having got closer to the point ill leave it there :) as you say it's probably a pipe dream any dev reading this anyway .. comon just tell me you like the concept! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wilbaaah said:

Thanks again cptDirty for the input and extra insight. 

I agree simplicity is a better approach, if an idea is to grows legs it's easier received as a starting point. Maybe I've got carried away. 

All inputs and opinions are welcomed. Thing is we never really know what devs are reading but I'd like to think that they do listen and read our feedback and discuss it within themselves. I'm optimistic like that.

 

3 minutes ago, Wilbaaah said:

- I want a few more tools for SLs to effectively command their own squad. 

 

- i want to draw on the map, only I can draw, and only my own squad can see what I draw. If I'm not SL, no drawing, 

 

- no other SLs see what I draw, neither to the general team, just my squad. 

10/10 me too!

4 minutes ago, Wilbaaah said:

- I'd make this the rule also with the enemy markers, I don't want my squad seeing an fob marker or a vehicle marker that another SL places... it's only likely to distract my own squad from their own objective. If it affects my squad (like it's in proximity) then that SL can radio it to me and I can inform my team and mark it myself. I often see one of my AT guys wondering off to a redundant vehicle marker placed by someone else 10 minutes before... 

Ehh no, having SL's put markers on the map is extremely useful for everyone. Let's say I'm SL1 and you're SL2. Both our squads are full of guys. Both our squads attack an objective from different directions and yours happen to stumble upon an enemy FOB/HAB. My squad needs to know where that FOB is so we can help you take it down and continue on with our objective. I see no reason to remove accessibility to map markers. Battlefield information is useful for everyone, not just 1 squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CptDirty said:

Ehh no, having SL's put markers on the map is extremely useful for everyone. Let's say I'm SL1 and you're SL2. Both our squads are full of guys. Both our squads attack an objective from different directions and yours happen to stumble upon an enemy FOB/HAB. My squad needs to know where that FOB is so we can help you take it down and continue on with our objective. I see no reason to remove accessibility to map markers. Battlefield information is useful for everyone, not just 1 squad.

That is fair enough and very valid , so these can stay :) if I were dev I'd add a 'click, hold and drag' to add a travel direction to vehicles at least. ;) 

 

Likewise im also optimistic that devs read and collate a few posts to discuss, i assume it's bad dev practice to actually comment on posts for many obvious reasons. 

 

This stuff must be easier to implement than an M1 :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wilbaaah said:

This stuff must be easier to implement than an M1 :D

They had it before so we know it works. And yes should be very easy to implement comparatively to a whole new vehicle, animation systems, new game mode, etc....

 

I guess they have their priorities....I'll respect it and wish map gestures comes back after V10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, embecmom said:

early EA had the ability for multiple icons ... and peeps just blocked the map up with it... was there when I joined when it first came onto steam.

Ahh now i get it. You mean before when people weren't limited to only 5 enemy markers.

 

I really think SLs need to be able to set down markers that is only visible to his squad (like movemarkers now). This way you make each SL able to lead his squad better and at the same time avoid map to covered in signs. I would make everything in one map. Everybody can see Red/Blue markers (change the green fob to blue). Only members of squad can see movemarkers and green markers and what SL is drawing if this is added.

Edited by Romby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Wilbaaah said:

If we did have a second 'command map',

- only accessible to SLs , (using a different key) I Don't think it would confuse the 4-6 SLs on the team. Again I dont want the content on this map seem by anyone other than the SLs. 

 

only downside as you say is anyone can make themselves an SL and *** up the map (although it would only affect the other SLs using the command map) and this one could be restricted to the use of 1 single drag arrow and 1 attack /defend marker . 

+1 to additional map markers visible to same squad. To try to stop random SL **cking up the map limit the drawing ability on SL map to only a SL with a squad with SL + 1 other, would make it more but see lots of vehicle squads locked with 2 in squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, scoobi said:

limit the drawing ability on SL map to only a SL with a squad with SL + 1 other, would make it more but see lots of vehicle squads locked with 2 in squad.

That's a smart suggestion!

A micro squad or lone SL couldn't really contribute significantly anyway.. 

 

other way of protecting this (but I'm complicating again) is a kick function relating to the 'SL/command group' using the said map. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Wilbaaah said:

 

 

If the Devs don't have eyes on the forums...

We're here and reading actively. =) It's definitely the sort of feedback we can work into internal discussions/task priorities. Always interesting to see what organic topics come up, as opposed to the ones we put out there. (E.g., the territory control mode from the last recap.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well there we go... :) 

23 hours ago, CptDirty said:

Thing is we never really know what devs are reading but I'd like to think that they do listen and read our feedback and discuss it within themselves. I'm optimistic like that.

I was optimistic too Gatzby, thanks for dipping in and confirming though, that cements our optimism.. :) 

 

some good ideas out here on the vine so keep reading :) 

 

I'm very new but I can see its a great game already so real congratulations! Squad hits the nail hard on the head in terms of a strategic team FPS, keep it coming! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×