jojos13

Gunshots sound quieter

So right before squad released the Mortar update my computer broke and I haven't played since until these last couple days. And what I was wondering was if they changed the sound of the gunshots because when I fire any of the weapons they sound muffled and quieter not like they use to like 5 months ago, but whenever someone else fires their weapon right next to me is sounds loud like it use to. I'm using the same headset as before when I played on my old PC and it sounds like they took all the bass out of the weapons and explosions and I don't know if it is my headset or if there was a change in the sound, also I have my headset plugged into the 3.5mm jacks on the back of my computer directly to my motherboard instead of the front panel audio connectors on my case because for some reason they don't work. I don't know if I needed to add all that info i'm just trying to be thorough with this post because I would like to fix the sound because I liked the way it sounded before when it actually sounded loud and you couldn't hear anything when you were firing your weapon now it just sounds like a Pea shooter for me and its not as satisfying. Also I don't know if I should have posted this in the hardware section of the forums so sorry in advance if this is posted in the wrong place. Even when I watch other Youtuber's post videos of squad when they fire their weapons it sounds like the gun they are shooting is really loud the sound makes this game 10x better for me. Thanks in advance for any responses.

maybe record a video and post it here?

PS.: I removed the duplicate post from the other forum section.

On 10/10/2017 at 1:36 PM, beginna said:

maybe record a video and post it here?

PS.: I removed the duplicate post from the other forum section.

This is just me shooting and blowing stuff up in the Firing range. But I remember right before my PC broke when I would play this game if you would just spray with any kind of weapon you and no one in your squad could hear a thing because it was so loud and it would almost hurt your hears getting into a big fire fight because everything was so loud. I even showed how loud I had my in game audio settings and they are set pretty loud compared to most peoples. Everything else in game sounds normal like when my squad mates shoot right next to me it sounds loud or if a .50 cal truck is spraying at me its loud, its just that when ever I shoot my gun I don't get that immersion anymore because my gunshots sound muffled and even when I blew up the truck in the video and was standing pretty close to it it didn't even make me flinch like it use to 5 months ago. Just like when I use to drop grenades on myself 5 months ago to kill my self to respawn it would make my ears ring loud now it just makes like a "Poof" sound and that's it. Every other sound in the game is fine like when people blow up IED's or they are shooting it seems that its client sided towards me that the sound is messed up. I want to get back to when the explosions and gunfire would make my ears ring and when I would take off my headset I could still hear it from 10 feet away. I even have all my settings all the way up in the control panel sound and to the highest quality.        Do you think it could be my headset and it is just too old and maybe I blew the bass out in my headset? Even when I watch a youtube video or watch a movie on my PC it sounds fine but squad just doesnt sound the same. So is it a hardware issue or did squad change how loud everything is because people were complaining it was too loud? Also sorry about the buzzing in the video that's my headset messing up but that didn't affect the sound of the grenades or the shooting it all sounds the same just with the annoying buzzing.

hmm ... interesting. there is a fair bit of background hiss and some other "humming", or did you have the volume cranked way up for the vid? weird how the guns sound quiet but you steps don't. i can hear it quite plainly in the vid so it's prolly not your headset - maybe something else.

My guess it's automatic gain control plus some glitch. Sometimes it is named Smart Volume Control or some other facepalm tech. Install audio drivers manually, then go through windows audio settings in Control Panel and then go through audio control panel from the manufacturer of your sound card and disable all audio enhancements everywhere.

13 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

hmm ... interesting. there is a fair bit of background hiss and some other "humming", or did you have the volume cranked way up for the vid? weird how the guns sound quiet but you steps don't. i can hear it quite plainly in the vid so it's prolly not your headset - maybe something else.

The hissing was coming from my crappy mic, I forgot to mute it when recording but you can still tell that everything else sounds the way that it should besides the gunshots and explosions.

11 hours ago, Skul said:

My guess it's automatic gain control plus some glitch. Sometimes it is named Smart Volume Control or some other facepalm tech. Install audio drivers manually, then go through windows audio settings in Control Panel and then go through audio control panel from the manufacturer of your sound card and disable all audio enhancements everywhere.

Are you suggesting I take off the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"?

https://gyazo.com/274ca06de5cecf1b9e3c7fbb99eee922

It must be a hardware of outer software issue, because most of the time in this game, when I hear shots from my own weapon or others standing close by, it makes it hard to hear anything else.  The fact that the firearms in this game are so loud may have some sort of background setting on your PC actively reducing the game's audio when it detects spikes like that.

6 hours ago, Halgrave said:

It must be a hardware of outer software issue, because most of the time in this game, when I hear shots from my own weapon or others standing close by, it makes it hard to hear anything else.  The fact that the firearms in this game are so loud may have some sort of background setting on your PC actively reducing the game's audio when it detects spikes like that.

How would you suggest that I find that setting? I have done like 6 hours of research and messing with settings for my headphones and audio in squad and cannot find a solution. I really want to get back to the way the sound was because I love the immersion and I cant even stand playing the game hearing how quiet the game is.

5 hours ago, beginna said:

check this:

Squadio.PNG

source: https://offworldindustries.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/221596087-Troubleshooting-Audio-Issues

You should disable all enhancements.

Btw, what soundcard and headset are you using?

I never bought a soundcard when I built my PC but my motherboard is a B250 Pro4

Headset: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/plantronics-rig-505-lava-over-the-ear-gaming-headset-black-orange/4315500.p?skuId=4315500

https://gyazo.com/0f9bcb234bc35e34a495b7f32dcd0016          Headphone settings and enhancements.

https://gyazo.com/4a3b1759fcccd3695fcc9931409b7d6f

9 hours ago, jojos13 said:

motherboard is a B250 Pro4

check for audio driver updates

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/B250 Pro4/index.asp#osW1064

8 hours ago, jojos13 said:

https://gyazo.com/0f9bcb234bc35e34a495b7f32dcd0016          Headphone settings and enhancements.

tick "disable all sound effects" (just to be sure)

another thing I'd try:
use a different headset or headphones (eg. earplugs from your smartphone) in order to check if the sound levels behave the same. (surrounding sfx vs player's gun)

maybe we can rule out the headset as the culprit.

10 hours ago, beginna said:

check for audio driver updates

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/B250 Pro4/index.asp#osW1064

tick "disable all sound effects" (just to be sure)

another thing I'd try:
use a different headset or headphones (eg. earplugs from your smartphone) in order to check if the sound levels behave the same. (surrounding sfx vs player's gun)

maybe we can rule out the headset as the culprit.

For some reason I began playing this morning and the audio all sounded good. I don't know how but it just fixed itself