dor

Shift+N for a Map zoom out

When pressing 'M', the map appears.

The key 'N' is used to zoom in.

You can't zoom-out.

I suggest to make the key combination of 'SHIFT'+'N' to be zoom out.

8 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

i thought "N" pressed for each zoom level then next press reverts to un-zoomed view - so cycle your N's for each veiw.

it is cyclic but it is more convenient to have also a zoom out option.

BTW the zoom-size isn't proportional IMO.. Sometimes it zooms just a little.. not sure if it is intended.

Currently N is only used in the map screen.

What if the map was displayed with the closest zoom (perhaps configurable) when you press N.

The regular map key could work as normal, perhaps if the above was included it could default to furthest zoom when opened, pressing N to toggle through zoom levels as it is currently..

Easy to remember, N = Near map, M= Map

I must press the map key at least every 10 seconds.

wont work because when M map is active you would change weapons.

N = near, M = full map.  seems like a reasonable idea

although there should be no reason that whilst in-map that the scroll wheel couldn't zoom - though i've only ever seen this when the map was not overlayed on the play screen, so that could be the problem(conflicting controls). (used to using a map that had it's own screen - kinda gives the feel of needing to "look up" from the map so you didn't run into anything. Squad lets you run around with the map out all the time, which i find a bit arcadey imo - i think you should have to stop to look at the map)

personally i don't have any issue with a cylic system - so long as the zoom levels are consistent

I, like everyone I'd expect, has the map out constantly, far more than you ever would irl, since it's often making up for senses you don't have in game, an awareness of cardinal direction, who your squadmates are and where they are. 

I am, maybe not like everyone, often a spaz with the map, trying to zoom in and then going past the level I want, only to do it again the next time around trying to find that perfect level of zoom. *click*click*click* Dammit *click*click*click* aaarrgh, *click*click*, finally. And then look up to get shot in the face. 

I'd prefer a way to zoom in AND out like the OP. I'd also like a teeny indicator showing your level of zoom 1X, 2x, that sort of thing, so you know where you are. If a scroll wheel could micro zoom, perfect, but I'd be fine with the levels as they are now. 

Also, being able to set the transparency of the map would be nice too. Gamey, I know, but the whole thing is and it's a necessary evil atm. 

There is no reason why not to use the mouse scrollwheel for the zoom in both directions.. In matter of fact if there would be second key besides N it would be already possible to bind the mousescroll for in and out zoom of the map. The following lines added to the INPUT.INI would allow to use Ctrl+mousewheel to zoom, just as you use it for typical web browser (ie. Opera, Firefox).

ActionMappings=(ActionName="MapZoomIn",Key=MouseScrollUp,bShift=False,bCtrl=True,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)
ActionMappings=(ActionName="MapZoomOut",Key=MouseScrollDown,bShift=False,bCtrl=True,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)

As now it only works in one direction, but it is still better than hitting a keyboard. ;)