Serial Crusher

Move right key binding

So I am just getting started with the game, and I have a disability and rebinding keys are crucial for me to be able to play… W and TAB seem to be stuck in the second column of the key bindings (KEY bindings 2) and it's causing problems with my setup. Any suggestions? 

Yes.

Open %localappdata%\Squad\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Input.ini and edit strokes:

AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveForward",Key=W,Scale=1.000000)
ActionMappings=(ActionName="ScoreBoard",Key=Tab,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)

To whatever you want.

Note, that there can be multiple instances of the same AxisName="MoveForward" or ActionName="ScoreBoard".

Edited by Skul

Instead of reprogramming in game keys have you ever thought about a programmable gaming keypad like the Razer Tartarus or something similar. Being programmable you can have any key where you like.

2 hours ago, Serial Crusher said:

so if I want those two keys under the key binding 2 column to be unassigned, what do I put in as a value?

Key=None

You can also find list of keys here:

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/List_of_Key/Gamepad_Input_Names

37 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Instead of reprogramming in game keys have you ever thought about a programmable gaming keypad like the Razer Tartarus or something similar. Being programmable you can have any key where you like.

You don't need programmable gaming keypad/keyboard in order to reprogram any keys on your keyboard, that's just marketing. To reprogram keys you can use programs, like, KeyTweak, or write your own scripts using AHK, for example.

And these keypads are worse than usual keyboards because they provide less accessible keys for left hand compared to pretty much any keyboard.

If someone wants flexibility/universality/betterThanDefault, it is better to buy this kind of keyboard:

Image result for X7 G800V

A keyboard with small space and additional buttons all over the place, which is better for pretty much anyone: people who chat a lot, people on the forums, gamers, programmers. There are membrane and mechanical variants from different manufacturers. But, of course, they're very unpopular because it will require for a player to start using UHJK-based layout(to get access to more keys at the same time on the keyboard) instead of default WASD one.

Edited by Skul

2 hours ago, Serial Crusher said:

Okay specifically, I need the tab key to peek right WITHOUT moving my soldier to the right...

Tab key is configured to show Scoreboard by default.

If you want to set tab to lean right, then find ActionName="LeanRight" and set it up like this:

ActionMappings=(ActionName="LeanRight",Key=Tab,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)

If tab is already bound to something else, then search for Key=Tab word in your Input.ini file and set Key=None instead of Key=Tab. At the end you should have one stroke with Key=Tab in your Input.ini file.

Edited by Skul

4 hours ago, Skul said:
Key=None

You can also find list of keys here:

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/List_of_Key/Gamepad_Input_Names

You don't need programmable gaming keypad/keyboard in order to reprogram any keys on your keyboard, that's just marketing. To reprogram keys you can use programs, like, KeyTweak, or write your own scripts using AHK, for example.

And these keypads are worse than usual keyboards because they provide less accessible keys for left hand compared to pretty much any keyboard.

If someone wants flexibility/universality/betterThanDefault, it is better to buy this kind of keyboard:

A keyboard with small space and additional buttons all over the place, which is better for pretty much anyone: people who chat a lot, people on the forums, gamers, programmers. There are membrane and mechanical variants from different manufacturers. But, of course, they're very unpopular because it will require for a player to start using UHJK-based layout(to get access to more keys at the same time on the keyboard) instead of default WASD one.

Yes there is software out there to reprogram keys but even keyboards are uncomfortable to use compared to certain keypads, especially laptop keyboards. OP said he had a disability and he might just find a gaming keypad that would work better for him than any keyboard could.

As for your less accessible keys for your left hand comment that is totally untrue. My Orbweaver has four rows of five keys and ten potential keypresses just for your thumb all without moving my hand. That's without using any of the three shift positions which give three more programmable settings for the each of the keys. A keyboard just can't compete. 

@beginnaI think OP is after command "Turn Right" not move or lean right???

Edit: If OP is after "Turn Left and Right" from keyboard (as used to be case in 90s, before invention of mouse control :P)

This can be archieved by adding these two lines to the input.ini

AxisMappings=(AxisName="Turn",Key=I,Scale=-1.000000)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="Turn",Key=O,Scale=1.000000)

Where keys I and O can be changed to anything that is usable in keyboard ie. W&A or 1&2 etc. There is a list of used key names on my old topic (link on the spoiler below). The turn speed is most probably controlled by the Scale factor.

Spoiler

The command is normally hooked to Mouse Axis, but input.ini still do not contain the mouse axis information (it seems),  it leads to a  situation where that information needs to be "hacked" in (using manipulation of "Factory Defaults" that are in DefaultInput.ini) as I describe my old post that were pinned here between CPA ... A8 or so. Unfortunately it is not the most clearly written piece of information. Edit: It seems that my old post is partly deprecated now. :( 

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-

12 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

As for your less accessible keys for your left hand comment that is totally untrue. My Orbweaver has four rows of five keys and ten potential keypresses just for your thumb all without moving my hand.

This Orbweaver has 4 rows and ~20 keys accessible:

Image result for Orbweaver

There's no way you're playing Squad using that ORBWEAVER only. If you move your hand to your keyboard at any point of time after you launched Squad, that proves my point: these keypads are anti-ergonomic. Same goes for shift-keys: if you use shift key on that keypad when you can avoid using it on a default keyboard, that proves my point as well: it takes more time to press 2 keys and release two keys, than to just press and release 1 convenient key(like, F key on keyboard), as well as it takes one more finger away from you during that time(you could use that finger to press another button instead of a shift key), why use shift key, while you could just press a button around your WASD keys.

On a proper gaming keyboard, like, X7 G800V there are 7 accessible rows and ~50 accessible keys(which is more than two times more compared to Orbweaver) if you use UHJK-based layout, for example.

12 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

That's without using any of the three shift positions which give three more programmable settings for the each of the keys. A keyboard just can't compete.

You can use any number of keys as different shift keys on any keyboard. And if you start using shift keys on a keyboard with 50 accessible keys, difference between keypad and a keyboard is even bigger because you can use more different buttons as different shift keys to increase number of functions you can access with the same button.

There's no way any competitive player would play any game on that kind of keypad(you don't see them on tournaments anywhere because they're inferior to proper keyboards and keyboard layouts, you just don't have enough buttons on a keypad) with 20 buttons on board in total, because there are just not enough buttons on them.

Here's an example of Starcraft 2 layout developed by pretty much controls layout scientists(if you can call anyone that):

[image loading]

You wouldn't even be able to set this layout up on that Orbweaver because it doesn't even have enough rows and columns. And as you can see that layout uses 3 modifier keys on a keyboard: alt, ctrl and shift, in total it makes 6 different modifier combinations: alt, alt+ctrl, alt+shift, alt+ctrl+shift, ctrl+shift, shift. Any sane competitive player don't decrease amount of accessible buttons on a device, it's the opposite: adequate players increase amount of keys they can access, that's the reason they moved controls to the right side of the keyboard: so players can access more buttons. When you use that keypad, you decrease amount of keys you can access.

And it doesn't matter if it's a strategy. Squad as well has a lot of functions you want to access at the same time simultaneously, and that keypad will not allow you to access all functions in all possible combinations at the same time simultaneously, while keyboard on the other hand(if used proper layout) will allow you to access all possible combinations at the same time simultaneously.

Doesn't mean you can't do your own keyboard and bunch up buttons like this:

Xuq2rDD.jpg

To get access to ~40-50 keys against 20 on these branded keypads.

These branded keypads with 20 keys on boards is just a joke and a scam. They provide inferior product compared to a keyboard, ask $30-80 for a piece and tell people that it's better to play on keypad than on keyboard when in fact keyboards are just better, which is outrageous.

Edited by Skul

5 hours ago, Skul said:

This Orbweaver has 4 rows and ~20 keys accessible:

Image result for Orbweaver

You are missing counting the thumb keys which are in effect another 10 so it would be 30, not 20. If you were to use 3 of the thumb (shift) keys you can use a complete different key layout. That in effect gives you (20+(10-3))x4=81 keys available without moving your hand into a stupid scrunch or near impossible stretch you would have to do on regular keyboards.

Use whatever works for you but I won't ever go back to using a regular keyboard for gaming as they don't work well enough for me ergonomically.

Guys, thanks for all the feedback, I decided to get the steam controller so I can use that in my left hand and a mouse in my right hand…  I've been watching YouTube videos (No I in Squad layout etc) and I am stumbling trying to get it the way I need it…

My goal is to get as many of the core commands on the left side of the controller as possible, but I'm lost...

If anybody could help me sort it out on the phone, I'd be happy to compensate them for their time.