Valmont

The "Inevitable" Squad vs Hell Let Loose Discussion

Posted (edited)

Just to point out some stuff that alpha and beta testers of both games can comment on the current strengths/weaknesses/difference of both games. 

Hell Let Loose is going to be, in my opinion, the most relevant game to compare Squad to right now since:

- Both run on the unreal engine 4.

- Both have roots on Project Reality.

- Both aim to have very similar features, specially in terms of gameplay/teamplay.

As a recent tester for Hell Let Loose and a Previous Kickstarter backer for Squad these are some things I can already point out that are the most significative differences to me:

Graphics wise:

- Hell Let Loose is a lot less blurry than Squad, including long range vistas and specially has a much sharper foliage. This helps to distinguish between friendlies/enemies making initial play a lot less frustrating than squad. Squad currently does requires more practice before you can actually identify enemies/friends effectively.

- Hell Let Loose has a much wider and varied color palette and its map design resembles PR a lot more. The single map I was able to test feels and looks a lot more like PR WW2 or Forgotten Hope 2 but in HD rather than how Squad feels and looks compared to PR maps. Because of these points the maps are more vivid and feels more like the "real thing" in hell let loose, also its effects like reflections and shadows are a lot more refined compared to squad.

- Squad maps are a lot bigger than Hell Let Loose, but for some reason don't feel bigger. 

- Squad just feels like there are more and bigger? objects blocking your long distance view most of the time making it feel like you are in a corridor, somehow hiding its huge maps. Perhaps this is because of how high the players "eyes" are from the ground?. In Hell let loose you always feel like you can see very far away and over most objects. Maybe that is because the maps are flatter or the objects are smaller or the far away objects are just sharper and easier to distinguish or perhaps a combination of all those points but the difference is quite significative.

Gameplay wise:

- Squad is far superior in player and weapons animations at this point. Specially the weapons look and feel a lot better in squad but perhaps it is because of the WW2 era weapons vs. modern ones.

- Squad has suppression effects while HLL doesn't also contributing to HLL's faster gameplay. 

- HLL has some kind of slight recoil auto adjustment, meaning that when you fire your weapon will recoil a lot (WW2 style) but then recenter itself kinda automatically while in Squad you have to manually  recenter your aim with the mouse.

- Squad's running and walking speed are slower, making Squad slightly more tactical than Hell Let Loose.

- Hell Let Loose movement feels a lot more like Battlefield 1 where you move faster and feel lighter and there is less momentum compared to Squad where movement and aim/turning speeds are slower and your character in general takes a little bit longer to respond to your inputs (not nearly as bad as Arma thou).

- One thing Hell Let Loose does better is its ease to distinguish between friend and foes and for one particular/main reason: Aided by its sharper long range visuals and very different player model silhouettes for both the germans and the allies (perhaps also their walking/running animations are different). They made it so that the german models are slightly bigger, wider and their helmets are easily recognised even over very long distances. Also because its colors are more varied and vivid you can easily tell an allied "Light Green/Beige uniforms" vs. German's dark grey over huge distances as well. Therefore I've seen less players complaining about how hard it is to distinguish between friends and foes in hell let loose than in Squad, but that might be because there are a lot less "new" players in Hell Let Loose right now so they seem to know what they are doing better. 

All in all, I think that at this point if you come from playing PR you will feel more at home with hell let loose or if you want a new experience, never played PR before or come from another shooter like Arma/Insurgency you will like Squad more.

PS: There is an off topic post related to Hell Let Loose but since this particular topic is about Squad and its current differences with it I believe this topic better fits in the Squad's General Discussion forum.

Edited by Valmont

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Valmont said:

~op

Like your intentions.... but why not let Hell let lose to come out for public testing before comparing ? I mean the only thing we can compare right now its visuals , but even that not certian.... Look how squad  changed since the pre-alpha (shadow quailty , animations , movement speed , sound )  .....

Edited by MultiSquid
No need to quote the entire huge post.

Posted (edited)

I fail to see currently how any comparison can be made from a quick gameplay video taken from the perspective inside of a Barn. We really have no clue yet how any of the game will play out at the moment, how performance for the common player will be, etc. This is more of a speculation thread than anything until there is some more detail from the game itself.

Will be interesting to compare them but right now for everyone else who has yet to really play the game or see anything other than a quick video it seems difficult to make comparisons.

Edited by Ratface

Posted (edited)

Wel comparing 1st impression with a far more dev'ed game is unfair. After all they said that the funds will be used to flesh out and add more content to the game. So a barebone game as HLL is as of now can't be compared fairly to Squad.

What you saw in 6 minutes is what they worked on for 2 years from 0 to that. Squad been in development for ? 3/4 years ?. 

Edited by -MG

Posted (edited)

I've actually played HLL as a tester but I guess it is indeed too early for most people to make comparisons... in that regard I have an unfair advantage :(

Backers will have a playable version very soon thou. ;)  

Edited by Valmont

Posted (edited)

Where's the comparison? WW2 fans will like PS/HLL, Modern fans will like Squad; some will like both. They are two different games... gameplay will be similar ("hardcore"/"unforgiving" gameplay that emphasizes teamplay), but really beyond that, they are different eras, and will appeal to different people. 

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

2 minutes ago, DoctorKamikaze said:

Where's the comparison? WW2 fans will like PS/HLL, Modern fans will like Squad; some will like both. They are two different games... gameplay will be similar ("hardcore"/"unforgiving" gameplay that emphasizes teamplay), but really beyond that, they are different eras, and will appeal to different people. 

You can compare what both team did with the same canvas (unreal 4). 

There you can point out differences in graphics, performance, map design choices, amount of players, amount of vehicles etc.

For example, if HLL's foliage looks sharper/less blurry and that means that Squad can also improve upon that aspect being on the same engine.

Likewise, HLL could improve its animations and weapon quality to match those of Squad.

The idea of this post is not to make a comparison just for the sake of it but for the betterment of both games by refining their features.

I believe Squad and HLL have a lot to learn from each other and we can point out to the devs which features one or the other does better.

Personally speaking, this not about Squad Vs HLL but more like Post Scriptum Vs HLL as they both trying to attract WW2 gameplay. What i wanna know is, what is going to be the differences between them?.

OP...Are you getting paid to advertise HLL in our Home...xD

27 minutes ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

OP...Are you getting paid to advertise HLL in our Home...xD

I actually like Squad more!

But I can't deny that HLL got me hooked right now... I am sure when Squad V10 is released I won't be able to go back to HLL anymore until it is released =) 

I think HLL does gives Squad devs an example of how to ease some of Squad's current issues or at least things that can be improved post V10. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

Personally speaking, this not about Squad Vs HLL but more like Post Scriptum Vs HLL as they both trying to attract WW2 gameplay. What i wanna know is, what is going to be the differences between them?.

Totally agree. It's more like PS vs HLL. I guess op picked Squad as it's what most players relate to right now as PS has been very quiet lately after being slagged for wanting to charge for their hard work. 

Apart from the obvious difference of a WW2 setting the big one is the way areas are captured that supply resources for your team. Other smaller differences would apply to one shot kills, how the medical system works (still to be released), rally points etc, etc.

I love Squad and find a WW2 version in PS very appealing. However I've backed HLL because I think it will play that bit different to make it interesting. I'll probably end up getting PS as well as I am really enjoying seeing small Dev teams producing exciting new games and not trying to screw every last penny out of the gaming public.

Just read about territory control + resources in Squad in the September recap. What a time to announce it with HLL hitting Kickstarter ;)

Edited by Major Trouble
New info

Looking forward to HLL. I really enjoy authentic, realistic WW2 games - I've been a massive fan of the Red Orchestra franchise since it was a mod for UT2K3. However, it's felt a little dumbed down since RO2, and I'm not sure they will be making another WW2 game after RS2.

So given that I really enjoy the Squad experience - realism, authenticity, and an emphasis on teamwork and communication - HLL looks promising, as it seems to have the same 'style' as Squad. So I'm looking forward to being able to play both. 

If anything, it's another game to play with dedicated servers.

I'm all for extra fun and a BF1 alternative.

On 04/10/2017 at 5:41 AM, Valmont said:

Graphics wise:

- Hell Let Loose is a lot less blurry than Squad, including long range vistas and specially has a much sharper foliage. ...

- Hell Let Loose has a much wider and varied color palette and its map design resembles PR a lot more.

- Squad maps are a lot bigger than Hell Let Loose, but for some reason don't feel bigger.

based on the promo vid:

1. ermm, hmm, not sure. HLL  looks a bit sharper but i think there's something else going on there -  the trees look like pastelle paints - i dunno, it looks like it has lots of fine detail in the foliage, even if it actually does not, and have we seen any enemies at 50-100m out in any footage yet? and what AA is being used, if any?

2. opinion, really - i think Squad looks fine in some vids and terrible in others.

3. that's because there is a(are) 2x2km map, but only a narrow central corridor is ever being used - throwbacks to BF mapping mentality?

the only thing i want to know is: how the phark did they get such dense grass and stuffs!, it looks glorious!!

I know both games are far from finished, but I'm curious about the comparisons in how they run on the same rig? HLL looks splendid, but also looks like it would croak my computer, which can barely handle Squad in it's current state. 

6 hours ago, LugNut said:

I know both games are far from finished, but I'm curious about the comparisons in how they run on the same rig? HLL looks splendid, but also looks like it would croak my computer, which can barely handle Squad in it's current state. 

My concern is the actual size of the map they showcased. It's all fine and dandy having great graphics on a small map but it's much harder to do as the map size grows.

17 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

My concern is the actual size of the map they showcased. It's all fine and dandy having great graphics on a small map but it's much harder to do as the map size grows.

How big do you estimate it is? Either in Km, or relative to a Squad map

7 hours ago, LugNut said:

How big do you estimate it is? Either in Km, or relative to a Squad map

I have no idea. All I know is what I saw and that was I guess under 1km x 1km. The rest of the map might still be wip as far as I know.