5 hours ago, Thr34t said:

Would be nice if there was at least a dev branch that early opters had access to in order to test the absolute current version. I really miss Squad but can't get myself to play it anymore until freelook is in. I can't explain enough how much freelook is needed for this game to not feel like atari for me.

The game is just fine without freelook. It isn't a mil sim. It is as a paintball but with vehicles. But when they will add helicopters and planes, then we need free-look, that's for sure. But in infantry, not really, only if you want to get a hard on from the feeling that you control your view in infantry with a TrackIR.

5 hours ago, winterfell said:

no idea but from how long we've waited, if we dont get tanks, new animation system, British faction and some new guns i will be very disappointed. By now tbh i was expecting helicopters 

Then you need to become a realist. They said earlier that helicopters need them to develop physics from scratch. And as they say programming physics for flying vehicles is one of the most hard and complex things out there.

They're an indie developer, so there is no surprise it will take them years to finish the product.

10 minutes ago, Skul said:

The game is just fine without freelook. It isn't a mil sim. It is as a paintball but with vehicles. But when they will add helicopters and planes, then we need free-look, that's for sure. But in infantry, not really, only if you want to get a hard on from the feeling that you control your view in infantry with a TrackIR.

Then you need to become a realist. They said earlier that helicopters need them to develop physics from scratch. And as they say programming physics for flying vehicles is one of the most hard and complex things out there.

They're an indie developer, so there is no surprise it will take them years to finish the product.

like 4 months ago this lone modder/ modding group made a functional heli in squad with missiles machine guns and everything, obviously it wasnt perfect and the bugs would be through the roof but if he did it with 0 funding im pretty sure squad with thousands of copies sold could easily do it, vehicles took about a year to come out and thats because there was an insane amount of setback and restarts to the system. we havnt had a big update in about 8 months or so (dont quote me on that) but its been a very long time, so unless they had setbacks every week i dont see how they are so slow, especially since their team has grown so much over the years in numbers and experience, everyone can tell me to be patient but im starting to see the DayZ symptom happening to squad, feel free to call me impatient all you want

Just now, winterfell said:

like 4 months ago this lone modder/ modding group made a functional heli in squad with missiles machine guns and everything, obviously it wasnt perfect and the bugs would be through the roof but if he did it with 0 funding im pretty sure squad with thousands of copies sold could easily do it, vehicles took about a year to come out and thats because there was an insane amount of setback and restarts to the system. we havnt had a big update in about 8 months or so (dont quote me on that) but its been a very long time, so unless they had setbacks every week i dont see how they are so slow, especially since their team has grown so much over the years in numbers and experience, everyone can tell me to be patient but im starting to see the DayZ symptom happening to squad, feel free to call me impatient all you want

yeah, now make that single application vehicle work with all the other systems.  IMO the most prominent step was made when they locked the engine version at 4.16.  Hopefully that will help limit the amount of restructuring necessary for the most important game additions.   Fast ropes

23 minutes ago, winterfell said:

Not even close. That kind of thinking is blatantly misinformed and is causing you to have unrealistic expectations. What the modder made was a good effort and a solid starting point but that's not even 5% of the way of what is fully required for a real game.

Relax, go take a time out from Squad if it bothers you so much.

v10 is coming.

Edit: I have merged the threads. Please stop making duplicate threads.

16 hours ago, Skul said:

Yea it needs freelook. When you have to give away your position while prone because you spin on the ground like a helicopter blade in order to look around it is pretty game breaking.

6 hours ago, Thr34t said:

Yea it needs freelook. When you have to give away your position while prone because you spin on the ground like a helicopter blade in order to look around it is pretty game breaking.

That would be the only, in terms of gameplay, use for free-look at the moment. The amount of work needed to implement it is not worth it, especially not at this point of time when half of the people are sitting around 30-50 FPS.

What they really need to deliver is good FPS on all maps and proper multi-threading, so people on AMD also get close to 100% of CPU usage, instead of 20%, as they do now, and the appropriate amount of FPS to the power of their CPUs.

And when they fixed all performance issues, then they can start thinking about implementing free-look and helicopters. If they do other way around, everyone is going to be sitting on 20-40 FPS for months as they did in v7. And don't tell me it's alpha. When they add things, they need to make sure these things are optimized.

Edited by Skul

In the interest of keeping folks in the loop, there are some relevant posts from our beloved SgtRoss (and motherdear!) on Reddit:

And while not necessarily tied to a10, this (for vehicles) didn't quite make it into the Recap:

Everyone's working hard and making some pretty great progress, though not always in the anticipated directions. Hang in there!

SO ANIMATION SYSTEM IS NOT GOING TO BE IN V10? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

EDIT: I'm a ****ing idiot. I thought it was the anim system lol, I panicked. It was core inventory. Anyway its still a shame it's not coming.

Edited by Draco

2 hours ago, Draco said:

SO ANIMATION SYSTEM IS NOT GOING TO BE IN V10? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

EDIT: I'm a ****ing idiot. I thought it was the anim system lol, I panicked. It was core inventory. Anyway its still a shame it's not coming.

The whole thing won't be but remember we don't know what the whole thing even contains.

As SgtRoss pointed out, elements of it will come with v10. Multiple weapons and ammo types for vehicles, which is neato.

sounds like a little mumble swerve on v10.... .. it was touted to contain British faction.. heard that's not coming.. new animations for soldiers and weapons... not all there?  I guess all that work on hitting people with a  friggin shovel took up the time....

the new map setup however does look interesting (if that's even in there too)...

It's been a long day for me, I'm gonna go ahead and just enjoy this thread for its popcorn value ^_^

Edited by Psyrus

On 10/2/2017 at 7:20 PM, Skul said:

That would be the only, in terms of gameplay, use for free-look at the moment. The amount of work needed to implement it is not worth it, especially not at this point of time when half of the people are sitting around 30-50 FPS.

What they really need to deliver is good FPS on all maps and proper multi-threading, so people on AMD also get close to 100% of CPU usage, instead of 20%, as they do now, and the appropriate amount of FPS to the power of their CPUs.

And when they fixed all performance issues, then they can start thinking about implementing free-look and helicopters. If they do other way around, everyone is going to be sitting on 20-40 FPS for months as they did in v7. And don't tell me it's alpha. When they add things, they need to make sure these things are optimized.

People are still getting bad FPS? I've been sitting at 60+ for a while now on an older setup with everything maxed.

On 10/2/2017 at 1:40 AM, Skul said:

Whats freelook got anything to do with "mil sim"? LOL