Draco

Sounds/New Sound Reverb System

So as you all know the sound system WILL get overhauled in the hopefully-not-so-far future. I made this thread so we can maybe somehow "help" the devs and give them suggestions on the sounds and such. First off, here is a video, although with blanks instead of real rounds (Real rounds are quite louder than a blank) showing off how gunshots should sound in an urban environment: Loud and echo-ey: 

Now, on the other hand, we have INCOMING fire. SONIC CRACKS. These are missing from the game.

This is not as great of an example but I could not find any better. Very loud pops and cracks, like a whip cracking inches from your ears.

We also have distant sounds. I feel as if they are too quiet. An explosion 100-150 meters already sounds relatively quiet and distant, when in real life, a distant explosion would be approx 400 meters. Here's a good example of distant sounds:

Keep in mind that ALL of the examples I gave are in URBAN environments, so this would be fitting for Basrah and Narva, but not for maps such as Logar Valley.

I know the sound designers know much more than all of us combined, and are striving to make sounds as realistic as possible, but I hope we can also contribute with a few examples.

Edited by Draco

I'm guessing you have not seen this video?

One thing to keep in mind, with basic handheld camera's and helmet cams, audio is distorted and gains this bass, heavy sound to the footage due to the microphones used in these pieces of equipment being low quality and not being able to accurately record echo/reverb on top of other sound components.

20 minutes ago, Dubs said:

I'm guessing you have not seen this video?

One thing to keep in mind, with basic handheld camera's and helmet cams, audio is distorted and gains this bass, heavy sound to the footage due to the microphones used in these pieces of equipment being low quality and not being able to accurately record echo/reverb on top of other sound components.

1. I have seen the video, but it's not quite as loud and as "slappy" as I wish it was.

I am fully aware camers can not record such loud audio. Most professional microphones which are at a relatively medium distance can capture it pretty accurately though (cue the first video in my post).

But yes, I do agree, Just like I said those were not the best examples, especially number two, because of the shit quality, but it still gives a rough ideea of how it should be.

Also in my opinion, 90% of all the gun sounds in PR are much better and much more accurate than Squad (AFAIK The same sound designer is working on both games - littlesnus)

Edited by Draco

13 minutes ago, _randombullet said:

lmao PR sounds are way better. Your bias is showing big time.

Were you reffering to me or Dubs? I said PR sounds are much much better.

Anyway sounds irl arent all that different if the gun is using the same caliber. In most games we hear the action of the gun (bolt hitting the receiver and such) more than the actual gun, which is also the case in Squad. As you can hear in the first vid which is recorded accurately with professional mics, the sound is a very very loud pop with echo and cracks after it. I have shot a 5.45 AK before and sadly I forgot my ear pro for like 3 rounds too. Anyway, all I could hear was a very loud pop, almost exactly like in the first video. And my ****ing ears ringing for a few hours afterwards. t i n n i t u s. This is what squad doesnt capture. The loudness, the pop, the actual sound, its more of the action than the crack sound. PR wasnt perfect but much better. I wish someone just randomly got it right, its a very hard thing to do.

Edited by Draco

56 minutes ago, Draco said:

1. I have seen the video, but it's not quite as loud and as "slappy" as I wish it was.

I am fully aware camers can not record such loud audio. Most professional microphones which are at a relatively medium distance can capture it pretty accurately though (cue the first video in my post).

But yes, I do agree, Just like I said those were not the best examples, especially number two, because of the shit quality, but it still gives a rough ideea of how it should be.

Also in my opinion, 90% of all the gun sounds in PR are much better and much more accurate than Squad (AFAIK The same sound designer is working on both games - littlesnus)

I find Squads sounds to be more authentic than PR's. PR has somewhat authentic sounds, but a little Hollywoodish compared to what Squad has. UE4 4.16 came with a bunch of new sound things, so we can expect Anders to do his magic, all sounds are a constant WIP.

The audio/sound reflection system Anders is working on is great, It captures the main elements of sound traveling through the environment and what effects it does - It doesn't need to be overly loud, Squad is a game after all.

Well as long as the gunfire doesn't sound like a muffled cap gun going off I'd be a happy camper

Edited by Devastation

we need Anders soundmod in Squad, he did a great job in PR a while ago

Edited by EA_SUCKS

6 minutes ago, EA_SUCKS said:

we need Anders soundmod in Squad, he did a great job in PR a while ago

Anders is the sound guy for Squad.

47 minutes ago, Odin said:

Anders is the sound guy for Squad.

Well, we don't need anything then

yeah, I knew that already, I was just kidding to see the next person's reaction xD

Edited by EA_SUCKS

7 minutes ago, EA_SUCKS said:

Well, we don't need anything then

yeah, I knew that already, I was just kidding to see the next person's reaction xD

REKT... :( lol

14 hours ago, Dubs said:

I find Squads sounds to be more authentic than PR's. PR has somewhat authentic sounds, but a little Hollywoodish compared to what Squad has. UE4 4.16 came with a bunch of new sound things, so we can expect Anders to do his magic, all sounds are a constant WIP.

The audio/sound reflection system Anders is working on is great, It captures the main elements of sound traveling through the environment and what effects it does - It doesn't need to be overly loud, Squad is a game after all.

PR sounds may be a bit Hollywood-like but the sound travel, the reverb, (not really the cracks but at least they exist, unlike Squad) are all much better than about anything Squad has to offer.

It doesn't need to be overly loud which it isn't, but that's not necessarily a good thing. If you want to capture realism, do it accurately - guns are LOUD. The sounds are just TOO weak. They don't even feel right, they don't have that slappyness, that sonic cracks, the feeling of a loud bullet travelling 800m/s. They sound like louder cap guns. Again, like I said, the first video is a perfect reference to how it SHOULD be. Not a characteristic sound like the bolt, just a big pop/crack/slap like a sonic boom. Note that those were blanks so it's even louder with real bullets, and you can notice by the sound travel through the apartment blocks that those blanks are already damn loud

Edited by Draco

9 hours ago, Draco said:

PR sounds may be a bit Hollywood-like but the sound travel, the reverb, (not really the cracks but at least they exist, unlike Squad) are all much better than about anything Squad has to offer.

It doesn't need to be overly loud which it isn't, but that's not necessarily a good thing. If you want to capture realism, do it accurately - guns are LOUD. The sounds are just TOO weak. They don't even feel right, they don't have that slappyness, that sonic cracks, the feeling of a loud bullet travelling 800m/s. They sound like louder cap guns. Again, like I said, the first video is a perfect reference to how it SHOULD be. Not a characteristic sound like the bolt, just a big pop/crack/slap like a sonic boom. Note that those were blanks so it's even louder with real bullets, and you can notice by the sound travel through the apartment blocks that those blanks are already damn loud

You can expect the sounds to change quite a lot with the sound/audio reflection system, or even in future builds before the new system comes in. I've seen the sounds change 4 or 5 times since I've been playing(Closed Alpha). Anders is good at what he does, OWI aren't new to firearms and know how they sound and how they function(Like myself, 15+ years firearm experience). They also have fully capable military advisers that know their stuff too. Squad is in good hands, no need to worry.

There's no point being overly critical on something that is clearly PH and WIP. IIRC the current sounds were made in a way, so when the new system comes in, it'll be an easy transition with all the new ear candy.

2 hours ago, Dubs said:

You can expect the sounds to change quite a lot with the sound/audio reflection system, or even in future builds before the new system comes in. I've seen the sounds change 4 or 5 times since I've been playing(Closed Alpha). Anders is good at what he does, OWI aren't new to firearms and know how they sound and how they function(Like myself, 15+ years firearm experience). They also have fully capable military advisers that know their stuff too. Squad is in good hands, no need to worry.

There's no point being overly critical on something that is clearly PH and WIP. IIRC the current sounds were made in a way, so when the new system comes in, it'll be an easy transition with all the new ear candy.

Remember when all the sounds back in the portal days just being snaps :P But still were realistic as hell, or when single fire would sometimes sound like automatic fire. But we dont talk about those days.

I was on Al Basra today seeding a server, so there was only handful of us with very sporadic gunfire and the sounds with echos were pretty brilliant. Once you're in a server with constant battles, you just can't hear them anymore because of the overlapping sounds. Check it out sometime though. 

Agree, always felt the sounds where to dry and the rings cut off to fast. Regardless in a room, street, area with garages, hills....the different type of reverbs and delays are lacking. 

Edited by -MG

8 hours ago, Dubs said:

Hopefully OWI do a good job on it (which is expected since they're great devs) :)

Anders is the lead sound man on the squad development team. They couldn't have found a more capable man for the job.

On 9/29/2017 at 2:13 PM, Noxxid3 said:

Remember when all the sounds back in the portal days just being snaps :P But still were realistic as hell, or when single fire would sometimes sound like automatic fire. But we dont talk about those days.

Haha, yeh. Was pretty basic but the sounds still added that immersion factor!. I remember the wilhelm screams, surfing 203 grenades and how much heavier the recoil was too. Ah the good old times lol

11 hours ago, Dubs said:

Haha, yeh. Was pretty basic but the sounds still added that immersion factor!. I remember the wilhelm screams, surfing 203 grenades and how much heavier the recoil was too. Ah the good old times lol

I swear i still hear that scream, like its rare. Would love to see it in still xD Oh god, dont start with the recoil. Glad its changed.

Posted (edited)

I trust Anders to make it sound awesome TBH, he's done a lot of cool weapon audio before, and the recent UE4 sound additions will probably make his job even easier. As gunfire is super loud IRL, there is always going to be a bit of an artistic freedom on how it sounds in game, and some people will not like it regardless of what we get.

The thing I really really hope for in the close future is HDR audio. Currently I get to chose between permanent ear damage or not hearing anything but gunfire. :(

Edited by Aleon

On 9/29/2017 at 3:30 AM, Andersson said:

Anders is the lead sound man on the squad development team. They couldn't have found a more capable man for the job.

We tried to build one out of parts, but UGH, what a mess. DO NOT try to explain THAT to the Mounties.

F'real, Anders is a wizard. And we have folks that know their hardware, access to ranges and microphones. =)

Can't find the specific vehicle at the moment, but I think it was a Russian one. Someone kindly offered it up for recording... though it being one of the loudest vehicles and only available inside, ah... didn't meet the needs. Picture a BTR (or a BTR, or a BTR, maybe a BTR?) in your bedroom getting very, very angry about a bad fuel mix. And it has bronchitis. And was a lifelong smoker.

18 hours ago, Gatzby said:

We tried to build one out of parts, but UGH, what a mess. DO NOT try to explain THAT to the Mounties.

F'real, Anders is a wizard. And we have folks that know their hardware, access to ranges and microphones. =)

Can't find the specific vehicle at the moment, but I think it was a Russian one. Someone kindly offered it up for recording... though it being one of the loudest vehicles and only available inside, ah... didn't meet the needs. Picture a BTR (or a BTR, or a BTR, maybe a BTR?) in your bedroom getting very, very angry about a bad fuel mix. And it has bronchitis. And was a lifelong smoker.

@anders is indeed a wizard but I was playing with a former US Army vehicle commander who told me that the Stryker sounds like a generic tractor and lacks the distinctive, high-pitched whine of the engine. Just fyi.