Andersson

Timeline and deadlines.

Good day,

I have been a supporter since the pre pre pre alpha of squad. I don't have the time to spend hours and days scouring through the forum or inside the game. So here is my question : 

Where can I find the Timeline with goals and deadlines for the full release of squad. (Getting out of alpha and being fully released).?

Edited by Andersson

9 minutes ago, Andersson said:

Where can I find the Timeline with goals and deadlines for the full release of squad. (Getting out of alpha and being fully released).?

If one exists, I've never seen it. 

/moved to questions

I don't think we ever got a firm release date or timeline. The closest answer anyone can provide at this time would be "when it's done". There may have been estimates, but I don't recall any of them getting confirmed.

"When it's done" is not really a proffesional answer. I hope to get some sort of answer from the developers.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love what squad has turned into thus far.

However squad has been in pre alpha and alpha mode since 2015 now and soon we are living in 2018.

I would appreciate some kind of official timeline with goals being ticked off for the public to see which is being updated and for everyone to see. Othervise it gives the impression the project of squad is floating all over the place. 

It would be the least the company can do to keep all their backers and followers in the loop of things. The big picture.

It is unfortunately a fact that many games on steam these days never leave the alpha stage. 

43 minutes ago, Andersson said:

"When it's done" is not really a proffesional answer. I hope to get some sort of answer from the developers.

Well the reality of the situation is as follows:

• You (and others) are not investors, you simply paid for early access through the crowdfunding system, therefore they don't have any real obligation to keep you (or us regular plebs who just bought the game in EA) in the loop of their inner-workings
  • Even if you were to know all the information, it wouldn't accelerate their progress at all (in fact the management of public data release could cause overhead that slows the project down slightly, although with @Gatzby on the PR helm, perhaps he could handle it without additional time/dev cost)
  • You can't get a refund even if the devs drop the project tomorrow (as far as I know, I am not too familiar with crowdfunding as I don't subscribe to the notion of giving cash to unproven projects without receiving a share of equity) which means even if they open their books, you see they've missed all deadlines and the project is doomed to fail, you can't do much except feel betrayed. 
  • These kind of projects have many, many unforeseen variables, although now that they've settled on UE4.16, the uncertainty level has definitely been normalized somewhat. Therefore giving prospective dates (such as the initial vehicles release date way back in 2016 which was delayed by several months due to netcode rewrite) serves little purpose besides frustrating consumers when those deadlines aren't met. When they are met, there is no positive benefit, but when they aren't, people somehow feel entitled to get their panties in a twist about it, ignoring the reality of software development and the fact that they're not actually investors that have any say within the company. 

I, like you, would love to know more about the roadmap but as a fellow software dev, I am acutely aware of why they wouldn't open themselves up to the pure negatives associated with sharing dev timelines/roadmaps with those outside the company or non-equity-investors. 

With all the above said, the devs may be kind enough to share something with us, but I would recommend not expecting anything, as we're certainly not entitled to it (referring to the quote below). 

54 minutes ago, Andersson said:

It would be the least the company can do

Yup, Psyrus nailed it.

If you're worried about Squad never leaving Alpha - don't be. The developers are in a good financial situation that has allowed them to not only expand their team to speed up development but also to be able to cover the development costs of finishing Squad itself.

Irontaxi has mentioned this several times but Squad will get finished and the only thing that would stop them is themselves if they decided to pull the plug on the project. Which, obviously, they won't because a lot of the developers are working on a game they want to play and enjoy themselves so the motivation is absolutely there.

Squad is already more fun than other competitive fps games which have a player base right now.

As Ross noted on reddit, we don't have a public roadmap available: 

And a little bit of insight into what's going on right now:

And there's always the Kickstarter as a reference point: 

Rest assured that the team is hard at work -- we've brought on a few new developers recently to help alleviate bottlenecks. We're growing steadily, and the game is shaping up nicely with it.

On 2017/9/28 at 1:40 AM, Gatzby said:

As Ross noted on reddit, we don't have a public roadmap available: 

And a little bit of insight into what's going on right now:

And there's always the Kickstarter as a reference point: 

Rest assured that the team is hard at work -- we've brought on a few new developers recently to help alleviate bottlenecks. We're growing steadily, and the game is shaping up nicely with it.

Are the devs still getting their asses kicked by A10? Have they gotten through the roughest parts of implementing the animation system?

As alot of know i started off as one of the backers / regular squad players, i can safely say without a doubt the things we have cominh out in the next few months will blow your mind!

We want to release good solid content, sometimes there's setbacks and such but we are always working our asses off to provide the best experience possible :D

2 hours ago, Frinz said:

Don't get us too excited @ChanceBrahh, now i expect things, good things, gamechanging things

The bad thing about the hypetrain is that is more likely to get disappointment, if your hopes are to high. This is probably my current position :/

On 2017/9/29 at 1:26 PM, ChanceBrahh said:

As alot of know i started off as one of the backers / regular squad players, i can safely say without a doubt the things we have cominh out in the next few months will blow your mind!

We want to release good solid content, sometimes there's setbacks and such but we are always working our asses off to provide the best experience possible :D

You are making me so excited, Chance. How do I control this excitement?

6 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

You are making me so excited, Chance. How do I control this excitement?

They use a shock collar for me, but YMMV.

*twitch*

18 hours ago, Gatzby said:

They use a shock collar for me, but YMMV.

*twitch*

Gatzby, release the monthly recap or you will be condemned to drinking Nescafe for the rest of your life.

On 10/3/2017 at 3:03 AM, fatalsushi said:

Gatzby, release the monthly recap or you will be condemned to drinking Nescafe for the rest of your life.

I maintain my own coffee supply lines -- there's no need to turn to chemical weapons.

hahhaha

[Camps outside local supermarket waiting to take down coffee delivery truck]

DOH recap released!