LaughingJack

SDK: updates and issues

Thought i'd start a thread for any SDK issues, problems and for update info/changes.

Starting from the SDK update in September 2017.

Couple questions to start off:

1. after the update i have now only 4-5 maps in the Contents - is this right? were the other maps removed for a reason?

2. can we expect any form of change-log, even rough, for each update?

I can only say that I miss them on my side as well.

Also there are some issues with landscape material it seems that some texture2d node has no input or some shit...

And looks like there are some lighting issues on some maps or It's may be me...

They removed Jankins Range. Cheesus Christ where a hell I should do all my tests now?! O___O

UPD: This three nodes (well more precisely they all are an instance of one) missing a texture... O_o

So after I've added textures for them and recompiled they began to work...

IlHhiAJ.png

Edited by FishMan

Downloaded the SDK last night after I screw it all up for like the 3rd time a few weeks ago and like everyone stated previously the range, goro, yeho and sumari are missing yet now there is basrah, narva and logar... What happened to those folders? Are they being updated for another update? Also, anyone know what version of the game is the SDK now?

U mean squad? Or UE?

If we talk about the engine version you can watch in Help>About...

FZfxln9.png

Edited by FishMan

18 hours ago, FishMan said:

U mean squad? Or UE?

If we talk about the engine version you can watch in Help>About...

FZfxln9.png

I'm talking about Squad not UE4. Anyway, as far as the SDK goes I loaded it up while we were out mucking around in the woods all day and every map I load doesn't have a material instance applied to the landscape and once I load one in it doesn't show the layers etc. Is this some new feature where that lives in another folder or something?

On 14/10/2017 at 4:06 AM, FishMan said:

I can only say that I miss them on my side as well.

Also there are some issues with landscape material it seems that some texture2d node has no input or some shit...

And looks like there are some lighting issues on some maps or It's may be me...

They removed Jankins Range. Cheesus Christ where a hell I should do all my tests now?! O___O

UPD: This three nodes (well more precisely they all are an instance of one) missing a texture... O_o

So after I've added textures for them and recompiled they began to work...

Hey Fisho, yeah i agree, i miss them too.

oh man!, that Texture2d thing, iv'e seen that before! you just reminded me - can't remember where tho, and it was before the latest update.

lighting issues? lols! so many instances of offset shadows (CSM = rubbish) in nearly all the maps i see played (youtubes). i've given up even worrying about them now - maybe one day Epic will give us a proper solution for Dunamic Lighting.

Edited by LaughingJack

I think I've properly migrated all my standard UE4 assets into the Squad SDK Content folder but I'm still having trouble applying a material instance to my landscape plus in numerous asset folders the textures aren't showing up. Was there like a drastic change in the SDK or something? Before I could just migrate my whole library into the Squad SDK content folder and everything worked fine.

Jesus Christ your avatar looks exactly like my colleague from my previous work. He is even wearing ushanka as well :D

The guy is hate me so much, lol. Pfft... And I have no clue why! I am the most pleasant person in the world! :D 

Anyway... 

Sometime ago I also had some problems with the transfer of content from a regular UE project to the Squad SDK. They seems not compatible and I have no idea why...

On 17.10.2017 at 1:45 AM, LaughingJack said:

lols! so many instances of offset shadows (CSM = rubbish) in nearly all the maps i see played (youtubes). i've given up even worrying about them now - maybe one day Epic will give us a proper solution for Dunamic Lighting.

Well CSM is the only solution... I'm pretty sure - nothing will change in this respect...

The only thing that we might get is may be some real time GI based on Distance Fields, but still chanses are really low.

So I would not count on this much, Epics make technology only for their needs and they are too busy making Paragon wich uses static lighting.

And here is what I mean when saying that lighting is really wierd:

cfqPXHM.jpg

See this weapon model?  It shouldn't be so dark. It's almoust black.

The environment looks wierd as well O_o

Edited by FishMan

On 19/10/2017 at 9:46 AM, FishMan said:

I am the most pleasant person in the world! :D

and so handsome and informative too! ;) (now i kno furry-russian-hat is Ushanka)

yeah that lighting is wrong somehow - looks like the gun is being lit by "hard" light, whereas the rest of the scene looks "soft" lit. there is no shadows on the rock (It looks cel-rendered) to your left ?!

looks like the gun has no ambient light applied and the scene looks almost only ambient lit

3 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

now i kno furry-russian-hat is Ushanka

Yep. Its because "Ushy" (U pronounce like "oo")" is a russian term for "ears", so ushanka means hat with ears or ears-hat it's hard to translate right :D

Also you should know that from... I dunno may be 1990-2000's when Soviet Union was fall... this hat become pretty rare in Russia )))

Nowadays for the most part only military and police wearing it, because they have such a uniform and I think it becase it's cheap. Usual people prefer something more practical and eye pleasant, knitted hat for example. Especially if you a child. If you wear ushanka this can cause other children to tease you. So you can say in Russia it is not in vogue.

Hmm... Also some kind of ushankas (arctic fox hat) wearing people who live in Yakutia. Most ot the western people think that it's cold in Syberia (central part of the Russia), but its not true, for real the most coldest is Yakutia which is on the east, I've borned there in small town called Nerungry :D Sometimes themperature there can reach -45..-50 but it's pretty rare. Average it's somewhere around -25...-30.

In western cinema almost every russian wear ushanka and snow everywhere and there are no summer at all. Lol, as if we live at the North Pole )) Yes, the winters are cold here sometimes, but the summer usually is quite hot :D

3 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

looks like the gun has no ambient light applied and the scene looks almost only ambient lit

Yes indeed...

It stange cause at the first glance there is nothing wrong if you look at the lights settings... O___o

I have no clue why it looks so shitty...

And its only me or you have the same problems?

Edited by FishMan

UPD: I might found the solution for my lighting issues...

It seems that eye adaptation was disabled...

And I was able to turn it on in game settings (when you press shift+esc in PIE you get a main menu open, and you can change all the settings the same way you did in the game. I also got a russian language there, lol, I have no idea why :D)

On 20/10/2017 at 10:40 PM, FishMan said:

(when you press shift+esc in PIE you get a main menu open, and you can change all the settings the same way you did in the game.

ah, good to know! ;)

i have to re-check all my settings now to - i have that horrible blurring-of-the-weapon-barrels back again but now it's even more defined(worse) :(

Edited by LaughingJack

Could you show a screenshot?

Sometimes I got some bluriness bug as well. But it seems it related to motion blur, so if you disable it, everything should become fine.

yeah i have to check my settings as per your trick above to see if the settings are actually what i'm selecting (engine sacalbility(?) refuses to be anything other than epic, even after changing). i say this because i have already disabled all AA in ProjectSettings\Rendering and disabled much of the "show/visualise" settings, but still have blurring

this is the previous post>

was correctly blurring.

now the 'blur' is solid, like a smear - will post screenie later.

I deleted the SDK and reloaded it several times now with the exact same results. Numerous missing map folders and none of the stock maps that are available have material instances applied to the landscapes. Nor can I apply a material instance to a new map.

1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Started the SDK update before I left for work, anyone know what it consists of?

Noticed Icons for official MOD support. modsupport.JPG.18c856d70c818baa3ff791cb378ecc19.JPG

^ yeppers!

and looks like all the other maps are back - w00t!

ps: there seems to be some mats still breaking/broken - as per Fisho's earlier post - don't ask me i can't remember which ones atm.