dor

partially hardcore - no name tags

On 09/06/2018 at 6:15 PM, Bahrein said:

The only hardcore type needs to be a hardcore server that you need to have more then 500 hours to join now that would be neat.Imagine when its a free weekend or the game is 50 or 80% off and a huge amount of noobs come in game we could take refuge on the pro or hardcore servers ;-)

I think there are a couple of clan servers that do that..just get whitelisted on them...

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but one can turn off name tags by turning down opacity or something like that in settings.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, wingman9 said:

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but one can turn off name tags by turning down opacity or something like that in settings.

Yeah, those options came in V11, this is an old thread. It would be nice if server admins could tick the option by default (if they want to run a HC server). Then those that join know this and don't have to tick it in local settings. Everyone is playing with same settings - fair game. I play with mine off 24/7. 

Edited by PROTOCOL

On 07/06/2018 at 6:09 PM, Nightingale87 said:

Their worries are getting new customers. Selling the game.

I think certainly to some degree we want to continue to expand the playerbase, however that's not the long term goal... The goal is to make an amazing game that we get excited just thinking about it and want to play it again and again for years!!

As for the name tag issue, more recently the name tags have been tweaked, so there is much more likely to have to IFF targets now that are on peripheral range, there is no longer a name tag above every single player. Name tags are continuing to be refined..

A server side option to have name tags on/off is a good discussion to be had, but will likely require a good bit of investment in programmer time, as customized server options will likely mean more than just name tags.

Now there's a discussion to be had about having name tags versus not.... The benefits of having no name tags is that players now have to be alot more cautious and observant when shooting (more authentic) and also helps prevent the player behaviour of speeding off into the enemy territory alone, as you will now be a bigger potential target for trigger happy friendly players.

The benefits of name tags is being able to quickly identify and communicate with friendly players around you, when you can quickly talk to that player and call out to him in local voice by using his name, it's a fast and effective way to communicate to squad mates and non squad mates alike. This can often create a tighter knit team and emergent gameplay.

So yeah there's a good discussion to be had about both, let's hear some more advantages/disadvantages over a name tag versus no name tag design.

Personally I love as minimal HUD as possible, I do feel like name tags may be one of those "necessary evils" in order to keep high immersion level.... IE It's not immerisve for no one around you to recognize who you are or bother talking to anyone around them since they can't identify and put a name to an individual in their local vicinity

18 hours ago, PROTOCOL said:

Yeah, those options came in V11, this is an old thread. It would be nice if server admins could tick the option by default (if they want to run a HC server). Then those that join know this and don't have to tick it in local settings. Everyone is playing with same settings - fair game. I play with mine off 24/7. 

No please don't separate the community. Have clear lines of what the game is gonna be and what its not gonna be. This game already has mods if you don't like the game as it is go mod it but dont seperate the playerbase with a bunch of server settings AND mods.

But i agree the name tags are WAY to aggressive go more PR style, don't help the player out so much people can actually think of their own.

1 hour ago, fuzzhead said:

I think certainly to some degree we want to continue to expand the playerbase, however that's not the long term goal... The goal is to make an amazing game that we get excited just thinking about it and want to play it again and again for years!!

As for the name tag issue, more recently the name tags have been tweaked, so there is much more likely to have to IFF targets now that are on peripheral range, there is no longer a name tag above every single player. Name tags are continuing to be refined..

A server side option to have name tags on/off is a good discussion to be had, but will likely require a good bit of investment in programmer time, as customized server options will likely mean more than just name tags.

Now there's a discussion to be had about having name tags versus not.... The benefits of having no name tags is that players now have to be alot more cautious and observant when shooting (more authentic) and also helps prevent the player behaviour of speeding off into the enemy territory alone, as you will now be a bigger potential target for trigger happy friendly players.

The benefits of name tags is being able to quickly identify and communicate with friendly players around you, when you can quickly talk to that player and call out to him in local voice by using his name, it's a fast and effective way to communicate to squad mates and non squad mates alike. This can often create a tighter knit team and emergent gameplay.

So yeah there's a good discussion to be had about both, let's hear some more advantages/disadvantages over a name tag versus no name tag design.

Personally I love as minimal HUD as possible, I do feel like name tags may be one of those "necessary evils" in order to keep high immersion level.... IE It's not immerisve for no one around you to recognize who you are or bother talking to anyone around them since they can't identify and put a name to an individual in their local vicinity

Sorry for double post not sure how to remove my first or combine them but same for this.

Please don't separate the community. Have clear lines of what the game is gonna be and what its not gonna be. This game already has mods if you don't like the game as it is go mod it but dont seperate the playerbase with a bunch of server settings AND mods.

Don't remove them completely just make it so that you have to aim at every player for x sec before it pops up i think PR is a great example of a really good system. Right not its way to "battlefield ish" imo. I have hundreds maybe even thousands of hours clocked in PR and we had never a problem communicating.

Thanks for the feedback.

Name tags UI is still work in progress, I think we will continue to work towards as minimally intrusive as possible (as well as UI customization options)

And I personally would like to see IFF become a bit more prominent