Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
-MG

Comms network

Recommended Posts

Okay so i have been thinking, this might be a little too far fetched for Squad....None the less, something vital and important. 
As stated, Squad in the future at some point will have 50 vs 50. With tanks and helicopters coming in means a broader network of comms will come to existence.

Now currently you can SL/Squad/Direct. With usually the SL being the manager having to process every damn word that comes in and pass it on etc....etc....

But what about radios for vehicles ?. Ground vehicles to ground vehicles and aircraft to aircraft ?. This way people from different squads can pass on intel to each other and work togheter. Doesn't have to be something in depth or realistic...

Radio concept
- 1 Hotkey for Vehicle radio
- High pass vocal filter emitting from the radio
- clickable or a button assigned to switch channels on radio.
- Have a notepad or metal plating around the radio showing; Channel 1 assault Channel 2 Logistics channel 3 scouting channel 4 defence


Purpose
- Making vehicular cooperation possible (be it offensive or defensive). 
- Driver/pilots can warn each other for threats in certain areas (Mines, HEAT, ATGM, tank, APC, manpads)
- SL can focus more on strategy and directing his infantry without being disturbed every other 5 minutes or mid sentence.



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 , i think that the system we have right now is good enough , squad leaders can already talk to specific squads , but let's say squad leader is busy , and most of the time voice chat is very cluttered when action starts , lets say you are a regualr soilder in the field and you see a friendly tank and you would like to quickly inform him about an SPG stationed near we could just add a system where you click on his"picture" to the minimap and chose the "radio" option and then push the "talk to squad" button and at this time everything you say would on the channel would be only heard by the people in that vehicle , and when you done you disable with an option on the button right on your minimap .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how useful it would be for vehicles to be in the command channel (or a separate vehicle channel), but one addition that I would love to see would be a dedicated channel for talking within a vehicle that allows drivers/passengers to communicate without the engine drowning out the positional audio, or spamming squad members by using the squad channel when it isn't relevant to people outside the vehicle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, L0cation said:

 , i think that the system we have right now is good enough , squad leaders can already talk to specific squads , but let's say squad leader is busy , and most of the time voice chat is very cluttered when action starts , lets say you are a regualr soilder in the field and you see a friendly tank and you would like to quickly inform him about an SPG stationed near we could just add a system where you click on his"picture" to the minimap and chose the "radio" option and then push the "talk to squad" button and at this time everything you say would on the channel would be only heard by the people in that vehicle , and when you done you disable with an option on the button right on your minimap .

Or something like that, anything that kills the segregation in Squad is a step forward. 

 

13 hours ago, Psyrus said:

I'm not sure how useful it would be for vehicles to be in the command channel (or a separate vehicle channel), but one addition that I would love to see would be a dedicated channel for talking within a vehicle that allows drivers/passengers to communicate without the engine drowning out the positional audio, or spamming squad members by using the squad channel when it isn't relevant to people outside the vehicle. 

I can't think of a reasonable justification for drivers/pilots to not have the possibility to communicate ?. SL/Squad radio was fancy with no vehicles....but how much of a mudpool does it have to become ?. One of the reasons i do not ever SL anymore is cuz i can't cope with Direct, yelling, Squad radio spam and 1 or 2 SL radios coming it at once. Really don't need another chopper pilot giving me more intel and a tank crew going nuts in my ears aswel.


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 4 channels of communication we have right now are more than enough. This has been tried, tested and proven for years now, because the same system worked just fine on 100 player servers in PR. The only reason your comms are getting spammed is because people don't practice radio discipline and share unnecessary amount of intel instead of only saying what's important on the radio and leaving the rest for local voice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MultiSquid said:

The 4 channels of communication we have right now are more than enough. This has been tried, tested and proven for years now, because the same system worked just fine on 100 player servers in PR. The only reason your comms are getting spammed is because people don't practice radio discipline and share unnecessary amount of intel instead of only saying what's important on the radio and leaving the rest for local voice.

Meh, i still believe it's counter productive to sit queue to have your say to your SL. Pilot to pilot message takes.....5 seconds, pilot to SL to SL to pilot can take up to 2 minutes. Enough for a Zu23 to empty his mag and other's to fire 2 Stingers. Then again, leaving the possabillity to work togheter trough vehicular radios leaves room for strategic counter attacks.  

 

 

3 hours ago, WARti0k0ne -BG- said:

Luckily there is Mumble and TeamSpeak, where one can organize things further. *provocation ends*

Within clans ,yess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 What if the pilot sits in his or her wait pattern or search and destroy pattern in the sky and gets an icon show up on his flying HUD that paints the target on the location that the SL painted to have ordinance to drop on or some other request like a pick up or supply drop, the pilot may get several request at once on his HUD and must prioritize his missions as to what is the most important at the time, if he get equal important request he must decide which to do first.  This can all be achieved without voice, just a way for SL's to mark on the map and have it relayed to the pilot in the air on his HUD.  No voice coms needed by pilot accept to relay to the ground commander when he is on his way and to see if situation changed by the time he is ready to go on that mission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Psyrus said:

I'm not sure how useful it would be for vehicles to be in the command channel (or a separate vehicle channel), but one addition that I would love to see would be a dedicated channel for talking within a vehicle that allows drivers/passengers to communicate without the engine drowning out the positional audio, or spamming squad members by using the squad channel when it isn't relevant to people outside the vehicle. 

what if Local voice was set to a common level (volume) for all players attached to the vehicle? - so local is not attenuated in any way whilst "in vehicle".

 

4 hours ago, -MG said:

... cuz i can't cope with Direct, yelling, Squad radio spam and 1 or 2 SL radios coming it at once. Really don't need another chopper pilot giving me more intel and a tank crew going nuts in my ears aswel.

maybe we could use the old CB courtesy term "Breaker"/"Break" - this was used when someone wanted to Break into a conversation or quiet the channel for important info - not sure if there's a military version but i would expect so.

 

i think most younger peeps these days are too used to being loud to get attention, rather than being sensible about things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LaughingJack said:

what if Local voice was set to a common level (volume) for all players attached to the vehicle? - so local is not attenuated in any way whilst "in vehicle".

 

maybe we could use the old CB courtesy term "Breaker"/"Break" - this was used when someone wanted to Break into a conversation or quiet the channel for important info - not sure if there's a military version but i would expect so.

 

i think most younger peeps these days are too used to being loud to get attention, rather than being sensible about things.

There's a minority that knows about proper radio'ing....And yess break-break means incoming priority message so everyone on that frequency needs to shutup and listen. Unfortunately, just because Squad is not mil-sim means that certain individuals find that to be a reason to be entitled to scream over the radio and talk over other people who are passing on intel.



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -MG said:

Meh, i still believe it's counter productive to sit queue to have your say to your SL. Pilot to pilot message takes.....5 seconds, pilot to SL to SL to pilot can take up to 2 minutes.

That's a gross overestimation, with proper radio discipline you can convey any relevant message inside of 5 seconds just about every time. On the other hand, having vehicle to vehicle comms would significantly increase the number of people with access to comms - if there's comms clutter now, giving more people access and expecting the situation to improve is completely illogical.

 

Again, the problem isn't the amount of channels available, but rather the player's inability to communicate effectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/09/2017 at 8:52 AM, -MG said:

There's a minority that knows about proper radio'ing....And yess break-break means incoming priority message so everyone on that frequency needs to shutup and listen. Unfortunately, just because Squad is not mil-sim means that certain individuals find that to be a reason to be entitled to scream over the radio and talk over other people who are passing on intel.

yeah there's so many entitled turds with no manners these days. in the old days we'd get a kick up the arse for being rude - can't even berate the little snowflakes now, let alone give them negative feedback.

to be make the sadness :'(

 

On 26/09/2017 at 9:08 AM, MultiSquid said:

...  but rather the player's inability to communicate effectively.

probably right in most cases - or their inability to deal with this type of "group comms", hence the chatter, laughing and non-information filling the channel(s) when important stuff needs to be heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a filter to remove "my position" would cut out at least 50% of useless coms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26-9-2017 at 12:16 AM, XRobinson said:

 What if the pilot sits in his or her wait pattern or search and destroy pattern in the sky and gets an icon show up on his flying HUD that paints the target on the location that the SL painted to have ordinance to drop on or some other request like a pick up or supply drop, the pilot may get several request at once on his HUD and must prioritize his missions as to what is the most important at the time, if he get equal important request he must decide which to do first.  This can all be achieved without voice, just a way for SL's to mark on the map and have it relayed to the pilot in the air on his HUD.  No voice coms needed by pilot accept to relay to the ground commander when he is on his way and to see if situation changed by the time he is ready to go on that mission.

That's one way, but unrealistic. HUD's only show active systems, altitude, speed, elevation scale, roll indicator, selected weapon, pipper, and the mode it is in. Which is quiet alot already. 

Now if you watch the video bellow, the 2nd from the left screen, that MFD is showing a map of the area. What can be done IN-GAME is if an SL places a attack or waypoint marker, that it appears on the pilots MFD that is showing the current map in real-time. But he still needs radio assistance regardless. SL's who request CAS always have to indicate WTF they can expect or what to attack specifically. Example; ''Requesting CAS at marker, 2 times 50call humvee facing south''   

(Digitalized Blackhawk)
 



As of now, i do not know how in depth choppers will be so i can't really say much except that.....imo, whoever flies just need to hear his SL and other guys in the sky. Period. 

11 hours ago, suds said:

a filter to remove "my position" would cut out at least 50% of useless coms.

What do you mean ?

Edited by -MG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@-MG"enemy at my position!" least useful, most used sentence in squad channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, suds said:

@-MG"enemy at my position!" least useful, most used sentence in squad channel.

Yeah wel, what can you do ?. That's why i always speak of applying mil sim aspects. Mil' radio is intended to be short, clear and informative. 
But who really cares to learn ?. Or another fav' of mine, those who use bearings and are secluded from the Squad xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enemy on my position only works if SL is constantly sitting around at fob, having the map open and looking who says what and where is the speaker... Maybe we need colored active speakers on the minimaps tilo find out where that came from... Or an SOS button that makes the player on the map blinking for 5 seconds... You can't change casual players except you make the game hard to play so casual players don't play it... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×