8kCaliber

Radial Menu for weapon switching

We have radial menus for SL to build, we have radial menus for marker placement. why do we have to use the numbers and/or mouse scroll wheel to switch between kit items? I find it very cumbersome. Maybe just use a similar style radial menu to switch between your kit items? it only makes it easier AND keeps the UI design consistent. That will be all. :)

Personally speaking, it's purely a speed/twitch issue for me. I don't want to sort through visual elements that may block the target, or mess with mousing off-target, to switch to my pistol, say. Not as much of an issue when switching to a shovel, though, hehe.

Are you thinking of this as a supporting element? Something you might use before going into an objective, in addition to the number keys/mwheel?

i would like to see it as an option. the number keys are useful in their own right. maybe have both options available. I think it could become very intuitive and quick to press 'keybound key' and swipe the mouse in the direction of the law rocket and let go. now you're switching.. just as fast, but didn't have to fumble with keys.

more hud clutter feel is not a good thing especially around selecting weapons.. (appreciate that you would have to call the menu up)... although that being said don't know the no. of times Ive hit smoke button or shovel when trying to get bandages... the scroll mechanism for me doesn't work quite right as I usually end up firing off around or rocket trying to select which one I want.

I agree radial would be nice and more keeping with the theme the SL gets. I find it hard to select down on multi menu items in the heat of battle. If I want a bandage in a hurry, instead of med pack, using the scroll wheel is cumbersome and if I use the keys it's slow as I may pull out my last used med pack first. The same situation applies to rpg rocket selection, gl smokes etc, etc. The radial menu would eliminate that as you can select exactly what you want first time.

Just to be clear I wouldn't want to lose weapon switch using numbers just have the option for radial for the multi  items that are assigned to a single number key. 

Edited by Major Trouble
Added info

Maybe you can add it as an option, personaly im not a big fan of radial menus, its good when you play with a controler (for what reason ever) bit switchin with mousewheel/numbers is much more intuitive for me cause most shooter so it like that.

Slightly off topic and probably sounds dumb, but I have almost 1000 hrs in squad and I still do not know how to select from the drop down list :( I can bring up the list but what then ? left click fires my existing weapon, sorry cant remember what right click does its that long since I tried it again.

Back on topic I wouldn't object to a radial menu as long as it's a selectable option, personally I would prefer separate keys for each item. I play medic a lot and its annoying having to pull out and put away a bandage before I get the medi kit out. Although if unnoticed and needing to do it quick selecting 2 instead of 3 as medic has a very poor result :( sorry. 

3 hours ago, scoobi said:

Slightly off topic and probably sounds dumb, but I have almost 1000 hrs in squad and I still do not know how to select from the drop down list :( I can bring up the list but what then ? left click fires my existing weapon, sorry cant remember what right click does its that long since I tried it again.

Yes, left click to select but you have to be quick or, as you've found, you will fire your current weapon.

Yes, left click to select but you have to be quick

I should have asked a long time ago, many thanks.

I don't mind if we use it as "change ammo type" thing, but for just changing gadgets i would stick with the current version.

can you add some more keys between the numbers on my keyboard? :P

i already use TFGH instead of WASD so i can get more key access.

I think radial menu could be useful as @Maamyyra pointed out for different ammunition types when bigger variety becomes available. I guess I got used to the way things work currently where the radial menu is for role selection and SL commands to place items only. I wouldn't want to add more options to an already not-so-easy to use radial system.

Reminds me of this:

All jokes aside, if it is implemented please:

• Allow players to use keyboard binding (1-6) as well as scroll wheel as secondary and tertiary weapon selection methods. 
  • Reduce the clutter on the radial menu this implementation would produce. 

On 9/22/2017 at 9:15 AM, suds said:

can you add some more keys between the numbers on my keyboard? :P

I've got epoxy and a few spare keyboards. We can make this happen.