-MG

''Realistic'' strategic game mode

So since the Squad meta is just tied to rush 1 cap past center cap and defend while have the rest establish in the center. We could eventually change it up by creating a seperate game mode in which a frontline border in the center of the map is created. Lets imagen you have a map in front of you., to the left of the center cap is a red line (Opfor can't tresspass it) to the right of the center cap you got a blue line (Bluefor can't tresspass). This makes the center cap a total ''No man's land'' in between 2 restricted imaginary lines the distance should be sufficient for both teams to be able to fight in.

Once the center cap has been established by either forces, Borderlines move in that same manner to the next objective BUT one borderline drops for he who just lost the cap. That means the losing team has the whole map free to roam and flank the enemy to retrieve ground. The advancing team still has the imaginary line they can't trespass.  

Some rules around this
- Only choppers can cross the lines for scouting/attack purposes (they can be taken down easly by AA equip).
- Infantry and vehicles get a critical warning that they're entering unknown hostile area and get blown up or shot if they don't leave within a timer (just insta death).
- Fire can be exchanged over the borders for long range engagements.

So in this game mode it's more based on ''strategic'' realism as far as advancing goes and establishing gained territory. 
Besides that it'll force everyone to move equally and fight together in specific areas. instead of being scattered around the map not being preoccupied with objectives and being on caps where there is nothing to do at all. 

Edited by -MG

1 hour ago, Nimbus said:

Sounds like Verdun's Frontlines game mode.

Had to google it, basically yess. 

This idea makes the game mode too linear and effectively blocks 50% of the map for each side respectively. 

How about instead of implementing a game mechanic such as your suggestion, we instead enforce cooperation between squads so that an early rush can be prevented by allocating appropriate man power and resources on the first caps leading to the mid cap and work from there?

There are also no rush servers.

I agree that the actual conquest mode isn't a good strategic mode. We use more "retard" strategy than "military" strategy. Rushing flags like you said etc, it's not very realistic/logic. When you make war, you don't rush points like this IRL.

We already have the "invasion mode", BUT it have to be improved. If defenders lose a flag, they shouldn't could cap it back. Thanks to this, we'll avoid flag rushes. We could make real plans of attacking/defending a flag with more "military" strategy. This will make the game more realistic.

Then it's just a question of equilibration. Also if we could change the cap zones on the map (admins), this will give mooore fighting locations in one map.

PS: Hope that they'll improve the spawn. Devs already informed.

Just make the caps randomly placed and only up to the center cap is visible for each side, once you cap the center, the next one becomes visible, then the next, etc. You'd certainly be able to rush past the center to try to backcap at the start of the map, but since you'd have to hunt it down, it would be much, much riskier. Rushing is really fun, but not every damn round, I'm preferring no rush servers most of the time these days. 

I dont mind rush so much it can be countered but I think we need different mode where the flags are randomized... to get away from linear gameplay ...taking the idea of the thread though, I would look to have the whole map open but not allow fobs placed in the vicinity of certain points that would be deemed an enemy flag .. (circular fashion)... similar to the build zone of a fob... until that flag is taken... to stop rush building on a flag ..

i.e village on Bhasra could be classed as a USA designated area and insurgents cant build a fob on it or within x distance around it... until it is capped ... (maybe not a great example as most of the flags are on the insurgent side of the map)... but other maps where there is a clear 50 50 split of flags ....

This is why I like invasion on Narva and Basrah. No bleed, no timer, no stress, no recapping. You wanna take 10 minutes to set up a perfect encirclement?

Do it.

17 hours ago, CrazyBear said:

I agree that the actual conquest mode isn't a good strategic mode. We use more "retard" strategy than "military" strategy. Rushing flags like you said etc, it's not very realistic/logic. When you make war, you don't rush points like this IRL.

That's what i mean....Squad is a millitary game but doesn't get played like it at all. I never understood how rushing deep into enemy territory and placing down a FOB made sense. Like you gonna put in time in creating realistic accurate vehicles, uniforms, ''weapon handling'', comms aspect etc....etc....
To eventually put in game modes that do not represent anything off ''realistic''strategic nature. 

I promise you my man, when tanks come in....you'll see shit rush shows left and right with APC's and IFV's. Everyone going blitzkrieg instead of strategic placed tanks using their range to take out targets and use the environment to blend in. 

16 hours ago, LugNut said:

Just make the caps randomly placed and only up to the center cap is visible for each side, once you cap the center, the next one becomes visible, then the next, etc. You'd certainly be able to rush past the center to try to backcap at the start of the map, but since you'd have to hunt it down, it would be much, much riskier. Rushing is really fun, but not every damn round, I'm preferring no rush servers most of the time these days. 

This seems like an interesting thing, But that's like another game mode imo. Like the next cap that pops up is one where there is enemy activity or something like '' a known hostile'' area. But I was soley mentioning a method or gameplay to prevent upfront cap securing and FOB emplacement deep into unknown territory. So you would have to operate like IRL. Push for a hostile area, fight it out. Settle down. Push the frontline back towards the enemy. I personally dislike rushing, it encourages squads to do their own thing. I personally have seen alot of games where squads were all over the map + on current cap with nobody defending previous cap. Ending up in a major steamroll.....

A while back someone suggested a game mode where you could only cap sectors adjacent to currently controlled zones, the map was divided into lots of small zones. See if I can find that topic. AAS can get quite repetitive, so more less linear game modes are welcome.
Something more out of line like HVT/vip protect/assassination (combined with intel gathering) might be interesting.

1 hour ago, Nimbus said:

A while back someone suggested a game mode where you could only cap sectors adjacent to currently controlled zones, the map was divided into lots of small zones. See if I can find that topic. AAS can get quite repetitive, so more less linear game modes are welcome.
Something more out of line like HVT/vip protect/assassination (combined with intel gathering) might be interesting.

This one.

I was thining  a different mode would be nice say one that the present system determine's the length of the game lose the 500 tkts assets ends the round. But the winning team is the side with the best kd for team (not singular squad). Promote more reason for revive.  Or would this be too hard core.  Think it would be a simple concept for anyone to understand.

29 minutes ago, Smee said:

I was thining  a different mode would be nice say one that the present system determine's the length of the game lose the 500 tkts assets ends the round. But the winning team is the side with the best kd for team (not singular squad). Promote more reason for revive.  Or would this be too hard core.  Think it would be a simple concept for anyone to understand.

In my opinion, any system where you win based on your k/d is a bad system. It doesnt promote teamwork. Even if its the K/D of the whole team, it leads to people focusing on a positive k/d.

What i wish to see as an experiment: remove the loss of tickets from dying. You can only lose tickets from vehicles and flags.

Making killing only a side effect you have to do to win.

If you remove the ticket cost from dying, you'd need to add in an incentive to stay alive, like by making respawns painful with a long respawn time, or by limiting the amount of respawns you have. Die 6 times and you go to spec, something like that. Otherwise, no one would wait more than 30 seconds for a medic. 

10 minutes ago, LugNut said:

If you remove the ticket cost from dying, you'd need to add in an incentive to stay alive, like by making respawns painful with a long respawn time, or by limiting the amount of respawns you have. Die 6 times and you go to spec, something like that. Otherwise, no one would wait more than 30 seconds for a medic. 

Funny how you mention that, i wanted to post a rant thread about it. Which i'm going to do :P 

13 hours ago, -MG said:

Funny how you mention that, i wanted to post a rant thread about it. Which i'm going to do :P 

I already did :)

Maybe it would be a good idea to introduce a gamemode where you have to conquer/defend as much of the map as possible. Instead of capped flags, you could make a bar where you see how many procent of the map is in friendly/enemy hands. If your team has 49 procent or lower, you'll bleed tickets. The less procent you have, the faster you'll bleed.

This would force the teams to set up defensive lines to block the enemy advance at certain points. That way you can also use fobs to create real defensive structures, and not only reinforce flag areas.

And on the other hand you have to achieve some sort of teamwork to push the enemy from certain parts of the map. Obviously this should only be possible where your own frontline meets the enemy one. that way you can prevent people from going 'behind enemy lines' and try to cap certain zones. That should be made impossible to create the real feeling of a military engagement along a real line of defense.

Just my 2 cents, but I think this could work out. Some of the best games I had in Squad (I'm always SQ-leading) were on defense. It's so rewarding to see that a line of defense you've just built, actually holding the enemy back. With overlapping fields of fire, good cover, ...

The only drawback against this kind of game mode is the lack of players. With the current cap of 40 players per team, most of the maps would probably be too big to have a functioning line of defense. The enemy would probably easily infiltrate between strongpoints.

Edited by timmie.vandiepen

Somewhat related, SgtRoss dropped into a thread on reddit discussing a frontline style of gameplay. Might give some insight from our side of things. =)

1 hour ago, Gatzby said:

Somewhat related, SgtRoss dropped into a thread on reddit discussing a frontline style of gameplay. Might give some insight from our side of things. =)

That's great news !. I'm glad to see that there is some incentive towards the game that's more based towards it's concept nature.
Head on collisions or concentrated areas of war make interesting scenarios imo and will requires way more strategy overall. 

Edited by -MG

1 hour ago, timmie.vandiepen said:

Maybe it would be a good idea to introduce a gamemode where you have to conquer/defend as much of the map as possible. Instead of capped flags, you could make a bar where you see how many procent of the map is in friendly/enemy hands. If your team has 49 procent or lower, you'll bleed tickets. The less procent you have, the faster you'll bleed.

This would force the teams to set up defensive lines to block the enemy advance at certain points. That way you can also use fobs to create real defensive structures, and not only reinforce flag areas.

And on the other hand you have to achieve some sort of teamwork to push the enemy from certain parts of the map. Obviously this should only be possible where your own frontline meets the enemy one. that way you can prevent people from going 'behind enemy lines' and try to cap certain zones. That should be made impossible to create the real feeling of a military engagement along a real line of defense.

Just my 2 cents, but I think this could work out. Some of the best games I had in Squad (I'm always SQ-leading) were on defense. It's so rewarding to see that a line of defense you've just built, actually holding the enemy back. With overlapping fields of fire, good cover, ...

The only drawback against this kind of game mode is the lack of players. With the current cap of 40 players per team, most of the maps would probably be too big to have a functioning line of defense. The enemy would probably easily infiltrate between strongpoints.

I like this territory idea aswel. Actuall laps of ground per cap or something ?. And if you capture it THEN only it allows you to place FOB/buildables in that area aswel so you can expand means of defence/offence making it harder for the enemy to push trough. 

We recently did a "show-match" of the game-mode Conquest on OPFL, you can watch the full match below. I played as a Squad Leader in the match, and I can say it felt fresh and interesting. The gameplay (for SL) had a strong element of real time strategy, with emphasis on territory control. I had to constantly coordinate with the other SLs about where to deploy our forces, to respond appropriately to what the enemy did.

- Round 1:

- Round 2: