dor

Why smoke nades are disabled on short distance?

As seen in the wiki:

Handling weapons and equipment

Grenades from a grenade launcher will not explode on short distance. Make sure to fire at least 15 meters away.

It's clear why HE nades are disabled on short distance, but why also smoke nades?

Sometimes smoke nades on short distance are needed - for example when a teammate nearby is hurt and you need smoke to help the medic reach him quickly.

I'm pretty sure it's a feature of the real world 40mm smoke grenades, not something the developers just "decided" to do :) 

Not sure though, I don't really know weapon specs at all, but I guess the arming distance is the same for the grenades regardless of the payload

2 hours ago, dor said:

It's clear why HE nades are disabled on short distance, but why also smoke nades?

I am not a weapon aficionado, but a google search did the job:

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/grenade/40mm_ammo.html#M713

Arming Range

50 - 150 ft (15 - 45 m)

2 hours ago, dor said:

Sometimes smoke nades on short distance are needed - for example when a teammate nearby is hurt and you need smoke to help the medic reach him quickly.

FYI, 40mm smokes are for signaling. - they are not supposed to provide concealment.

the smoke of smoke grenades spreads horizontally.

the 40mm smoke spreads vertically (in a V-shape form).

GL's need other smoke type which shall be used for providing cover, smoke that goes into a big puff <3,

current gl smoke is for signaling