dor

New player's Suggestions - Map, radio, mechanics

I played this game for 25 hours, the last 2 of them were as a SL for the first time.

The following is a list of features that IMO should be applied:

Suggestions which I didn't find while searching:

1. Show teammates inside a vehicle when mouse over a vehicle on the map.

2. On map - make flag names clearer.
Many times I've tried to relate to a flag location on the map but I couldn't read it because that other stuff were hiding the text.

3. When pressing "Enter", the Map (right side) and Squad list (left side) appears.
3.a) Please show the squadmate's name on the map when the mouse hovers the squadmate on the list.
3.b) Please show a different symbol for the optic rifleman.
Reason: Sometimes as an SL it is better to tell *non-optic* rifleman to do a specific task.
The optic rifleman may easily identify & kill enemies from a distance.

4. Peeking around windows from inside/outside of building.
The leaning keys ("Q" and "E") don't allow this.

5. When dead/incapacitated - alert the player when he's trying to do something but isn't able to do them for some reason (write the reason).
I write this because that as an SL I tried to approve a vehicle for a squad member but I couldn't do that because that I was incapacitated.
Then I gave up and tried to approve as a "dead man" but couldn't do that either (of course now it sounds logical).
It took me a while to figure out that I needed to spawn..
Also alert when someone is trying to replace a kit while he's incapacitated (tell him he needs to give up first).

Suggestions I wanted to suggest but were already suggested (please read the reason of  clauses 7 and 8):

6. Resupply from fallen/dead bodies on the field (e.g. field dressing, ammo etc.):

http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/11612-looting-fallen-soldiers-for-ammo-and-supplies/

http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/24667-collecting-ammo-supplies-from-the-field-inventory-system/

7. Local chat heard by enemies too.

http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/6327-will-local-chat-ever-be-heard-by-enemy/
http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/5979-voip-local-can-be-hear-by-enemy/
http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/38-local-voip-for-both-sides-or-option-for-it/?hl=voip

I think that this must be implemented for reality.
The example that was given by Bruno_G (Lead Effects Designer) here may happen rarely.
People still spam the Local and Squad Radios sometimes (it's part of the fun), but when the real deal is starting, then everybody stop the spamming.

8. Fast pistol switch:
http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/22781-pistol-switching-speed/

It happened to me that I was on the ground trying to apply a field dressings and enemy approached from the front.
I tried to take a pistol but it was too slow ...

Edited by dor
Renumbered the last 3 clauses

in my opinion, the downsides to #7 and #8 are too great to allow them to be added. #7 - causes people to move to 3rd party comms systems ( discord, etc). #8 - you were wounded and were unable to get your sidearm out in time. sounds about right to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards smokyhook

Hello and welcome to Squad @dor,

ad {1,2,3,5}

some good QOL (quality of life) improvement suggestions.

ad 4

animation system gets an overhaul. - soon™

ad 7

not going to happen. - and the reason for that is in pretty much every locked thread regardng that topic.

"gameplay > reality"

people would avoid using local coms in close combat, because it gives away their position.
this would decrease teamwork between players on the same team. - and this is not what we want.

ad 8

as stated in the linked thread:

switching times are realistic.
timed by @Dubs http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/22215-rifle-to-pistol-transition-time/?tab=comments#comment-243808

but, there are good news:

On 11.8.2016 at 11:39 AM, Motherdear said:

[...] we would like to have weapon switch cancellation in when we make our new animation system since we feel it is one of the most clunky aspects of the game currently.

1,2,3: great ideas.

4: Leaning does this well enough (imo) - hopefully you are not suggesting using a "Peak System".

5: i'm sorry to say this but (imo): if i Dead or Incap i expect not to be able to do anything bar talk over text or voice - you ask for a classic hand-holding thing.

6,7,8: nope. never.

as for this: " [...] we would like to have weapon switch cancellation in when we make our new animation system since we feel it is one of the most clunky aspects of the game currently. " - Motherdear.  - (ed: Reality is clunky too.)

I sincerely hope not. Animation Cancelling is an arcadey MMO hand-holding buff, and can allow peeps to 'use' it to their advantage - "it's not fair that i was too dumb to think more than 2 seconds ahead and now iv'e brought a knife to a rocket launcher fight but i want the game to help me win - so, Animation Cancelling!!".

6 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

4: Leaning does this well enough (imo) - hopefully you are not suggesting using a "Peak System".

I'm not familiar with a "Peak system".

Assume that you are inside a room and you want to peek outside a window,
so your waist will lean on the ledge, while the head and weapon will technically be outside of the room (to be able to peek around the window).

5: i'm sorry to say this but (imo): if i Dead or Incap i expect not to be able to do anything bar talk over text or voice - you ask for a classic hand-holding thing.

This is a realistic game.
I'd also expect nearby enemies to hear me when I use Local Chat, but they don't. ;)
Actually in these kind of scenarios the adrenaline rush makes wonders, unless physically you're not able to perform specific task (left hand is hit but I'm right handed so I can pull the gun easily).

as for this: " [...] we would like to have weapon switch cancellation in when we make our new animation system since we feel it is one of the most clunky aspects of the game currently. " - Motherdear.  - (ed: Reality is clunky too.)

I sincerely hope not. Animation Cancelling is an arcadey MMO hand-holding buff, and can allow peeps to 'use' it to their advantage - "it's not fair that i was too dumb to think more than 2 seconds ahead and now iv'e brought a knife to a rocket launcher fight but i want the game to help me win - so, Animation Cancelling!!".

IMO it's not a buff at all, that is logical to cancel the action which you currently do (a decision which we perform daily).

Edited by dor

18 hours ago, beginna said:

ad 8

as stated in the linked thread:

switching times are realistic.
timed by @Dubs http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/22215-rifle-to-pistol-transition-time/?tab=comments#comment-243808

That's about timings switching from your rifle to pistol not like OPs bandage situation. Playing a lot of medic I'd like a quicker swap to my pistol from bandage/1st aid kit.

I have not really seen much about animation cancelling and how it'll be done but I do want it but not by just moving your currently held weapon off screen. For example you've just pulled your LAT and the lengthy rpg/law animation but need to swap back to your primary. The animation should stop at that point and reverse to putting it away and not continue to 'prime' the weapon all the way before you can swap.

@Major Trouble: ah, yes i agree. a reversal of the anim would be really good and much better than outright cancelling ;)

25 minutes ago, dor said:

I'm not familiar with a "Peak system".

Assume that you are inside a room and you want to peek outside a window,
so your waist will lean on the ledge, while the head and weapon will technically be outside of the room (to be able to peek around the window).

ah, ok. you want to stick your head through the window and look sideways, fair enough - a Peak System might do that. A Peak Systems allows Peaking/looking movements, outside of the normal player control parameters, at certain places in the game environment (they work just like Cover Systems). - i don't like these systems because they are (IMO) gamey console perks suited to over-the-shoulder 3rd person, that can take control from the player to some degree.

32 minutes ago, dor said:

This is a realistic game.
I'd also expect nearby enemies to hear me when I use Local Chat, but they don't. ;)
Actually in these kind of scenarios the adrenaline rush makes wonders, unless physically you're not able to perform specific task (left hand is hit but I'm right handed so I can pull the gun easily).

yes, it is based on reality/realism but as Beginna rightly stated > ""gameplay > reality" people would avoid using local coms in close combat, because it gives away their position. this would decrease teamwork between players on the same team. - and this is not what we want."

I stand by my statement (below) you quoted from, even though i don't see how it relates to your rebuttal.

if i Dead or Incap i expect not to be able to do anything bar talk over text or voice

38 minutes ago, dor said:

IMO it's not a buff at all, that is logical to cancel the action which you currently do (a decision which we perform daily).

So you regularly drop stuff all over the place in the RL? (I wonder if any of the Vets in here can confirm Animation Cancelling whilst in RL combat) like dropping the red pen on the floor because you actually had to use the blue pen but didn't think that far ahead and didn't want the hassle of placing the red pen back where it belongs before using the blue pen?

I accept your opinion but seriously this is a buff of sorts. Buffs aid the player. Animation Cancelling aids you in not having to think further than the end of your nose because you can just anim cancel and keep going - instead of paying the price of being caught out or choosing the wrong strategy. Believe me, iv'e played two years of ESO and anim cancelling was one of the biggest exploits in the game and basically allowed players to mash the buttons and win - do you really want that in Squad? Mash2Win?

MajorTroubles idea of animation reversal is much better than outright cancelling.

"animation cancelling" - It's just a broad term.
If they implement it, I'd guess they stay on their path and do it in a well balanced fashion so that it feels good while playing.
No reason to make wild speculations.

I'm with you on 1-5 if #4 isn't a pain to implement and if it's limited to what you'd likely do IRL, where you wouldn't be hanging half out. 

#6, I'd maybe support limited resupply, bandages and ammo if it matched your weapon and maybe just once a life, or once a round. The reason for that is, I really don't want SOP to become a scavenger hunt, where each time someone goes down, the medic is compelled to go get his bandages, and you find a dead grenadier, so you call your guy over to get his rounds, etc. etc. In a last stand situation, fine. 

#7, no for the reasons already listed. Unlike IRL, you can't tell friendly from enemy coms, and many people would switch to outside VOIP. 

#8, Having an emergency cancel would be enough

6 hours ago, beginna said:

Isn't any suggestion a form of speculation on what you'd want to see if nothing has been set in stone. Hell, that where the great ideas come from.

#6 : yes only if you talk stuff from your dead squad mates (that drop dead)

#1, 2, 3, 5 : yes

#4 : not sure about how you want to do that

#7 : noes

#8 : No but If there will be more classes I want one that has to use pistol.

19 hours ago, beginna said:

"animation cancelling" - It's just a broad term.

i guess this is directed at me.

1. I suppose it could be if you twist hard enough but i see it as a Statement, not a broad term.

2. I don't intend any wild speculation - just making valid points of discussion, based on experience and opinion.

I would go further to say that i will rue the day that peeps start insta-swap-killing me simply because they are cancelling animations when i get the drop on them.

2 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

I would go further to say that i will rue the day that peeps start insta-swap-killing me simply because they are cancelling animations when i get the drop on them.

I rue the times I can't swap fast enough from med bag to pistol when an enemy pops into view and my patient starts to reload or refuses to cover the enemies direction. I still prefer a realistic swap times even if they ended up increasing it slightly for being prone. What I don't like is the requirement for the swap animation to complete fully if you change your mind but I believe the new animation system will cure that. 

I'm going to be ultra radical... remove players from the map all together only SLs can see their own squad and only in 50 metre radius... no names no nothing for the grunts...then real co-ordination and communication would have to take place !!!   

that's not going to happen so..

1,2,3  yes would be very handy 

local chat... I don't like the idea... but not because I think its a bad one... it would just increase the chatter on squad chat, and increase the no. of 'htf did he know I was there'  .. especially from me... but would be fun in other ways... as long as it could be based absolutely on vicinity and not because you have a super headset and can hear a whisper from 25 metres.

animations are changing so cancellation mid swap is a good thing ...they are improving the GL and hopefully the RPG/LAW too... .. unpack... load.. sight up.. aquire .. target... SHIT someones coming... sight down ... pack back up.. get rifle out.. die...... should change to... throw LAW on ground, get rifle out.

5 is just experience but could be implemented into the hint menu I guess... 

resupply from fallen dead bodies as long as you can tell they are dead and not just waiting to be healed, would be a bit pissed if you came along and stole all my bandages!