Just watched this vid explaining netcode for the lay person. Pretty interesting.

Just wanted to know if this is anything that Squad is doing or thinking of doing? We now have performance gains with 9.9 from unseen animations and detail at range so why not dynamic tick rates. May help us get to 100 players. 

Pretty sure that squad has been using dynamic tick  rates since like alpha 6 or 7. I'll see if I can dig up the change log that mentioned it 

Edit : Here is one I found on my smartphone 

Look at the performance section 

Edited by Psyrus

16 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Look at the performance section 

Cool. Thanks. Don't remember reading that. So long ago now. Didn't mention dynamic tick rate for players not moving specifically but it certainly seems networking had seen some tweaks.

35 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Cool. Thanks. Don't remember reading that. So long ago now. Didn't mention dynamic tick rate for players not moving specifically but it certainly seems networking had seen some tweaks.

On 5/26/2016 at 9:21 AM, Chuc said:
  • All weapons now only tick when they are equipped, and unequipped network update rates have been drastically decreased
  • Improved performance on shovels, they now use a timer instead of ticking and only tick the timer when they are equipped
  • NetUpdateRate optimizations. All spawn points down from 100 to 1, FOB spawns from 100 to 10, CameraMan from 100 to 10

From 7.2

• Optimized tick rate on effects. (ie not realtime).

But as per the video, there are probably some other places that could benefit from those tick rate tweaks. 

It is dynamic, it also dynamically change depending on what target is: inf or vehicle and how far away targets are.

So a BTR and an infantry soldier at different distances towards your position will update at different tick rates for you.

Edited by Skul