Sign in to follow this  
xxxWINGNUTSxxx

Animations for Entering and Exiting Vehicles

There should be at least basic vehicle enter, exit and seat switching animations. If Grand Theft Auto 3 back in 2001 could do it it should be easy for Squad. We don't need Uncharted 4 levels of cinematic motion captured animation. Just basic animations, even ugly Bioware level animations are better than nothing.

When you sit in the right side of a truck you go out and in the right door. When you switch seats to the roof gun you crawl from your seat to the gun. When you're in armor and you switch from driver's seat to gunner's seat you crawl to it instead of magically teleporting to it. That would solve the problem of rambos 1 manning armor meant to be manned by 3 crew members. (Also why are most armor missing the commander's seat like there is in the scout car?)

Of course this would probably mean there needs to be interiors for every vehicle too but again the interiors don't need to be realistic to every little knob and gauge, just basic plain interiors works.

L0cation   

Hi bro , this topic has been discussed many times already you will find alot about it on the search function , a little summery from what i know : there won't be any enter or exit animation for vehicles most likely cause it is more of an eye candy that we don't really need right now ...but good way to make the transtion less "teleport-like" would be by make realistic enterances and exits to vehicles , that is if you want to enter a vehicle for example an APC you would have to go to the back door or something and same on the exit , and also transition betwen vehicle slots will probably be with a small delay to make it feel less Like an instant teleport .

Edited by L0cation

Bahrein   

I do agree with you.I am sure it will be done at some point.

Better vehicle destruction animation could be better too.

15 hours ago, L0cation said:

there won't be any enter or exit animation for vehicles most likely cause it is more of an eye candy that we don't really need right now ...but good way to make the transtion less "teleport-like" would be by make realistic enterances and exits to vehicles , that is if you want to enter a vehicle for example an APC you would have to go to the back door or something and same on the exit , and also transition betwen vehicle slots will probably be with a small delay to make it feel less Like an instant teleport .

Those are great ideas that would help a lot in the realism department. They should definitely implement it if they won't consider animations. It's not just eye candy, some basic realism with animations and physics would greatly change a lot of tactics around how players interact with vehicles.

L0cation   

Look i am the last person to be that guy to against every new idea ( and we have alot of these on the formus ) but i do understand these people , don't get me wrong i do fully agree with you on this one and will be all for this kind of feature ( even made a post about it myself once ) , but from what i've learned from my experience in thr forums is that people some times having hard time setting up thier priorties fot the game .... As you know squad is an indie that has a lot of ambition and currently struggles a lot with performance , it should be better and better the further development goes ,but when you add features you it will always tax the performances not alot you can do about it .... So tell me what do you prefer ? Larger maps ? Higher tickrate for a smoother more fair expiernce? 100 player servers ? Heavier assets and better mechanics ? These in my opinion are the must important right now to achive first ....and only then you can put "spare performances" on "eye candies" like these ... And as much as i like the new animation system i would always stick with the crappy current animation if i had to give it for the features mentioned above .

And beside .... Are you familar with any first person shooter to have these type on animation ? Clostest i know it's ARMA 3 i think .

Edited by L0cation

21 hours ago, xxxWINGNUTSxxx said:

There should be at least basic vehicle enter, exit and seat switching animations. If Grand Theft Auto 3 back in 2001 could do it it should be easy for Squad. We don't need Uncharted 4 levels of cinematic motion captured animation. Just basic animations, even ugly Bioware level animations are better than nothing.

When you sit in the right side of a truck you go out and in the right door. When you switch seats to the roof gun you crawl from your seat to the gun. When you're in armor and you switch from driver's seat to gunner's seat you crawl to it instead of magically teleporting to it. That would solve the problem of rambos 1 manning armor meant to be manned by 3 crew members. (Also why are most armor missing the commander's seat like there is in the scout car?)

Of course this would probably mean there needs to be interiors for every vehicle too but again the interiors don't need to be realistic to every little knob and gauge, just basic plain interiors works.

Whilst I press "F" I reach over and grab another Bud from my mini fridge next to my puter and imagine some exotic vehicle enter/exit animation. You should try it... plus it will save the devs a ton of busy work...

Gatzby   

Heh, always found these a cool touch in PlanetSide... when I wasn't doing anything else. Always felt like "losing control" of the character anywhere in the action made it way more frustrating than it should be.

suds   

that is a good point, watching the screen while something happens is very frustrating (cod4 vaulting, despite the speed of it was blamed for many deaths)

How about a system where you "use" the door handle which opens the door then walk into a magic portal (the door aperture) which makes you sit down. The last guy in has to "use" the door handle or risk the whole squad being massacred in the vehicle by a frag or a crazy gunman.

APC could have driver controlled doors as well.

First in goes to farthest seat from door.

Making the doors open and close would make it possible to kill a humv crew by waiting for the right moment. Baiting them to get out.

I posted about door opening in another thread, this is about regular doors within a building but could be evolved to include some vehicles.

4 ways to open doors

• Use key one tap, turns the door handle to check if it is locked, silent. ADS is disrupted briefly. Release the handle by releasing the Use key and push your way through the door by walking into it moves away as a physics object. Can be done while ADS.
  • Use key, press and hold opens the door fast until it hits another object- a bit more noisy, required if door opens toward you. ADS is disrupted briefly.
  • Melee, Kicks the door open if hit from the correct side - very noisy. ADS remains but accuracy is disrupted briefly.
  • Explosive/heavy fire damages majority of the door so it can be passed by either crouch or jump.

Add some rare and random squeaks to hinges and lots of fun can be had.

Blocking doors with sandbags etc would be quite cool.