Frinz   

I love this update, i can finally play in 4k on max settings. It would be interesting to know what they have done to improve the performance that much.

Nikko B   
1 hour ago, Frinz said:

I love this update, i can finally play in 4k on max settings. It would be interesting to know what they have done to improve the performance that much.

Read through, has some Dev responses with answers. :D

TDS   
9 hours ago, Frinz said:

all maps??? full server? locked at 60 fps?

Gatzby   
On 9/9/2017 at 2:21 AM, Major Trouble said:

@Gatzby Please can we have a little more explanation of how the devs have squeezed out more optimisation performance in future announcements. It's really interesting stuff for a good many of us. Don't want to keep them from their day job to long though so nothing to in depth. Much like this reddit info. 

Hehe, I think you've found the gold already. =) As Nikko pointed out, Irontaxi and Norby dropped by to explain a little more in depth. If you're reddit-shy, here are them deets:

From Irontaxi:

Sure. A lot of little things but the major were.

Creating a system to limit animations to only playing when player is visible or relevant in terms of distance

Creating a system to use screen space to dynamically adjust the update rate of the players movement component. (think of it as a container in the soldier code that holds all the movement stuff)

Tediously going through all of the volumes in the world that overlap with other volumes and disabling any responses or events that weren't needed. (a lot of this is just ON by default in ue4)

We have a few more major improvements that take a bit more time still in the works as well too. We are by no means done! onward and upward.. 60fps and 100 players for all!

And Norby with a bit more detail:

Hiring several new programmers recently allowed us to attack many different performance issues for A9.9

Instead of explaining the details of all the changes which would take very long I'll explain the workflow on a simplified example.

To find performance bottlenecks we record profiles during normal gameplay. In those we can see for every single frame how much time is spent on what for each individual thread. For the highest improvements we look at the most expensive components and think of ways to make them cheaper.

For example if soldier animations are expensive we consider what could be avoided to reduce cost. For players that you can see the animations need to be running. But if the player is very far away the animations can run at a lower framerate and it's not noticeable. For players we can't see we still need to know the rotation for the minimap and if they are close the walking animation so that the footsteps create sound, but everything else can be disabled.

There is not one single magic fix to 9.9. It's a combination of things on soldiers, vehicles and their animation and movement as well as inventory and weapons. In addition to that there are engine tweaks to avoid certain expensive paths. And often it comes done to double checking the work. For example a building on a map is static and therefore cheap. It could be set to moveable which would make physx math run on it every frame and it would be very expensive. Sometimes wrong settings are applied to objects by accident and fixing those helps too.

The TL;DR: A combination of more people on the team, scheduling/updates with Unreal 4.16, and really awesome developers working hard at their respective specialties. Not to mention the testing events we couldn't do without the community that help us test and gather the data we need. =)

TDS   
11 minutes ago, Frinz said:

yup, all i have played so far

interesting with i7 7700k @ 5ghz and rog strix 1080 ti @ 2000 mhz here,

some maps i cant run at 4k locked at 60fps, when i say locked at 60fps it is really locked, no areas of drop (high trees density areas) etc.

theres 2 maps i can run 4k perfectly , sumari and kohat. Other maps i have to use 1080p + 2 x supersampling, and some 1080p only no SS to get a truly locked 60 fps from start to the end of the match.

Edited by TDS

Vegetal   

I was very critical of the game's performance so far, and actually skeptical that performance could be improved too much. Glad I was wrong, I finally had some fun on basrah and narva yesterday.

Have any of you with only 6G ram having issues with 9.9. My buddy can't play since the update. He's done all the typical things like page file, re-install, ect...

5 hours ago, CC-Marley said:

Have any of you with only 6G ram having issues with 9.9. My buddy can't play since the update. He's done all the typical things like page file, re-install, ect...

Make sure texture streaming is ON. If not it'll use a lot of ram. He also needs to make sure he has as few background programs running as possible.

lozur   
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:35 AM, beginna said:

Hello and welcome to Squad @lozur,

you need to do a clean install of Squad:
  1. manually delete %localappdata%\Squad
    https://offworldindustries.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002768887-How-to-manually-clear-your-user-settings-cache
  2. uninstall Squad via Steam
  3. manually delete remaining folders in Squad installation directory
    default: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Squad
  4. install Squad via Steam
  5. reboot PC
report back if it worked. thx

i have gone through and deleted all my files rebooted after I did so; and I am reinstalling right now then I will reboot after it is done and launch the game and leave a edit after; but I have a question could a runtime library be bugged if so would I have to delete it, I'm not sure if squad use's that but I'm thinking its a error on my pc also and steam only uninstalls files not programs that install during first launch; EXAMPLE Microsoft visual c++ 2015; are like those type of files needed to read programing language for a game if so could it be bugged?

EDIT: the full reinstall did not work.. but on your last post I am investing into some m.2 drives soon and getting windows 10 pro I will see if that has fixed the issue but for now my game boots up super slow 10 - 15 minutes I'm not sure how to recreate it either so I'm out of luck I geuss :(

Edited by lozur
UPDATE ON BUG

On 9/10/2017 at 1:34 AM, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

I hope this will bring,Atlast, some happiness to our friend @RollingInTheHurt . :D

Improvements was made.

Now getting 40 to 50fps on full 72 slot server with everything maxed out except Super Sampling and Full Texture Loading.

SQUAD is actually playable now.

29 minutes ago, RollingInTheHurt said:

Improvements was made.

Now getting 40 to 50fps on full 72 slot server with everything maxed out except Super Sampling and Full Texture Loading.

Glad to hear it. How's your CPU for cores being stressed? Is it bottlenecking your GPU?

11 hours ago, RollingInTheHurt said:

Improvements was made.

Fantastic News!.

May the AMD God's smile upon you.... ;)

Gatzby   
On 9/14/2017 at 3:12 PM, RollingInTheHurt said:

Improvements was made.

Huzzah! Here's to on-going improvements!