Sign in to follow this  
d4ndr01d

Very Low FPS

I just bought Squad a couple days ago and I've been experiencing pretty serious FPS drops in servers with more than 20 people in them.  With some research around this forum, it appears that the CPU is often the bottleneck though I'm also seeing people having success tweaking the launch files and using certain Nvidia drivers.  Like many other players, changing the graphics settings has minimal impact on the FPS.

Here's my computer specs:

Intel W3680 @ 3.33GHz

GTX 980

--Driver version 385.41

24 GB ram

My CPU clock speed is on the low end but it meets the minimum requirements on the Squad Steam page.  I didn't expect it to impact FPS specifically, especially with the graphics settings turned down.

1.  Anyone have any suggestions on setting adjustments I can make to improve the framerate?

2.  Are there any plans to improve the game's utilization of multicore processors?  My Xeon is very similar to a 6-core i7 and its surprisingly not enough to get over 30fps right now

1 hour ago, d4ndr01d said:

I just bought Squad a couple days ago and I've been experiencing pretty serious FPS drops in servers with more than 20 people in them.  With some research around this forum, it appears that the CPU is often the bottleneck though I'm also seeing people having success tweaking the launch files and using certain Nvidia drivers.  Like many other players, changing the graphics settings has minimal impact on the FPS.

Here's my computer specs:

Intel W3680 @ 3.33GHz

GTX 980

--Driver version 385.41

24 GB ram

My CPU clock speed is on the low end but it meets the minimum requirements on the Squad Steam page.  I didn't expect it to impact FPS specifically, especially with the graphics settings turned down.

1.  Anyone have any suggestions on setting adjustments I can make to improve the framerate?

2.  Are there any plans to improve the game's utilization of multicore processors?  My Xeon is very similar to a 6-core i7 and its surprisingly not enough to get over 30fps right now

Squad is currently very one core CPU dependent (optimization will be coming), try to OC your CPU to 4.5 

Edited by Kalbouneh

1 hour ago, Kalbouneh said:

Squad is currently very one core CPU dependent (optimization will be coming), try to OC your CPU to 4.5 

Yeah, basically overclocking is the only thing I can think of.

Looking at the following comparison (don't know how accurate it is), it seems that the IPC (instructions per clock cycle) of the XEON are lower than that of a 2500K, which means it will suffer in squad.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-W3680-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K/m12335vs619

Your choices are:

- Wait for optimizations

- Overclock your CPU

- Get a CPU with better IPC to brute force your way through squad's optimization issues.

1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

Your choices are:

- Wait for optimizations

- Overclock your CPU

- Get a CPU with better IPC to brute force your way through squad's optimization issues.

Ah that's super interesting about the IPC of the Xeon vs i5

Unfortunately overclocking won't work for my rig - I have windows running on a 2010 Mac Pro (I know, super weird).  From what I've researched, I won't be able to get above 4 GHz much less 4.2 or 4.5.  And intel only made a couple CPUs with marginally higher clock speeds for this socket so I'd have to build a whole new computer which is financially out of the question for me.

Is there any sort of timeline on CPU optimization?  I haven't been able to find anything on that from the devs and the game is approaching the 2 year mark in EA.  Basically trying to decide if I should just get a refund for now since I can't play it in it's current state.  Super bummed, I've been itching for a tactical shooter like this for a long time.  The community is so welcoming compared to other games!

Refund now and re-buy later if optimization is good enough for you. Next update to bring optimization is V10, happening in about a month or so.

30 minutes ago, banOkay said:

Next update to bring optimization is V10, happening in about a month or so.

Would you mind linking to that information? I have not seen anything to indicate that v10 holds any optimization passes (except if you consider the animation system, which is yet to be proven to be any more efficient) and would love to have a concrete source for it. 

33 minutes ago, d4ndr01d said:

the game is approaching the 2 year mark in EA.

There have been some major hiccups, specifically the animation system and networking system that had to be rewritten, and recently the revamp of the inventory system which has slowed down development compared to the initial forecast pace. It's well worth the wait, I upgraded specifically to be able to play squad at 60fps and I don't regret the 1000 bucks at all (I was previously running an 8 year old PC build). I don't think other people should spend money upgrading for squad, but for me it's basically all that I play (besides overwatch) so it made sense. Hopefully once the aforementioned core systems are revamped and in, the development pace can pick up again :)

30 minutes ago, banOkay said:

Refund now and re-buy later

That's my recommendation too. Basically, refund now and just play on the free weekends until you find the performance is acceptable, then buy it at that point (when it'll be on sale most likely anyway!)

Edited by Psyrus

1 minute ago, Psyrus said:

Would you mind linking to that information? I have not seen anything to indicate that v10 holds any optimization passes (except if you consider the animation system, which is yet to be proven to be any more efficient) and would love to have a concrete source for it.

Nothing too concrete, just "happening now", "some will make it in (V10)".

31 minutes ago, banOkay said:

Nothing too concrete, just "happening now", "some will make it in (V10)".

Interesting, thanks for the info! Hopefully it works out for people :D 

Irontaxi Quote " However.. our modest goal is to get everyone on average to 60fps. that would be a great victory for us "

its not the avarage 60 Fps that are not reached  what sucks is  the Drops in FPS and inconsistend frametimes as soon there is Action between a bunch of ppl that give this jittery feeling and make the ppl complain .

regarding W3680 just Keep it most modern games (Whole Frostbite lineup,Snowdrop,Cryengin,Anviel next based ) can effectly utilize and distribute the load on at least 4 Cores reasonable to avoid early bottlenecks as shown in Squad at it`s finest  .

Even investing in the strongest chip (clock and IPC wise ) currently availid for Squad will still not help to avoide Drops to the mid 40s FPS on full Servers.

So in short refund if you still able to do so and revisit Squad when it reached final stat an reevaluate  pef.

25 minutes ago, moppel said:

Even investing in the strongest chip (clock and IPC wise ) currently availid for Squad will still not help to avoide Drops to the mid 40s FPS on full Servers.

I run a i7 7700K at 4.8Ghz HT on and my lowest ever FPS is 55 on Al Basrah, full server with lots of action. This is at 1440p, 1.5 resolution scaling.

I recon I could hold 60fps in Squad in 1080p under all reasonable game circumstances, across all maps, full servers. 

But your points remain valid, i'm just saying...........LOL

until we get the next guy posting that hes got low FPS because its the games fault and nothing to do with a crappy rig....

2 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

I run a i7 7700K at 4.8Ghz HT on and my lowest ever FPS is 55 on Al Basrah, full server with lots of action. This is at 1440p, 1.5 resolution scaling.

I recon I could hold 60fps in Squad in 1080p under all reasonable game circumstances, across all maps, full servers. 

Yeah no doubt there are systems that come close to 60FPS min , But its the strongest CPU for Serial loads out of the box currently and you have to OC it to 4,8GHz and still can`t hold stable 60 FPS ...Whats even worse that ppl with really decent CPUs like Ryzen 1600/1700 ,I7 5820/5930/5960,6800-6950X and so on suffer from the same problem , and to be honest telling a guy with a I7 6900K CPU to buy a Kabylake or Coffelake rig is mayby not the best idea xD

Run your CPU Stock with 4.2GHz Base 4,5Ghz Singelcore turbo and DDR 4 2400 in DC and you will hit Mid 40s -.-

4 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

Having lows of 55 shouldn't be seen as a good thing. Try to imagine peoples lows if they weren't using a system that costs over 1500 or whatever you spent. They've been pulling 20-50fps for the past year or so.

Edited by godamntwitch

lads, i'm not saying it's a good thing. Just it's a thing. 

Mostly I play at 90fps, just certain maps bring it down.

Thanks all for the replies!

Well except for this wonderful gem:

4 hours ago, embecmom said:

until we get the next guy posting that hes got low FPS because its the games fault and nothing to do with a crappy rig....

My crappy rig handles R6: Seige, PUBG, etc on high or max settings at 1440p and meets the minimum requirements posted on Steam.  It's not the games fault and it's not my computer's fault.  The issue is that the minimum specs posted on Steam are not accurate for the current state of the game.  I'm not upset about it but if this conversation is getting old, that's why it keeps happening.

14 hours ago, d4ndr01d said:

Thanks all for the replies!

Well except for this wonderful gem:

My crappy rig handles R6: Seige, PUBG, etc on high or max settings at 1440p and meets the minimum requirements posted on Steam.  It's not the games fault and it's not my computer's fault.  The issue is that the minimum specs posted on Steam are not accurate for the current state of the game.  I'm not upset about it but if this conversation is getting old, that's why it keeps happening.

the conversation is getting old because people keep expecting their potato to run like its vodka...I have no problems running this game.. my pc is not top notch..yet we still hear from others that they cannot do it and compare it to other games.... its like saying I bought the fastest car for track racing but why wont it work when I want to go speedboat racing... 

2 minutes ago, embecmom said:

the conversation is getting old because people keep expecting their potato to run like its vodka...I have no problems running this game.. my pc is not top notch..yet we still hear from others that they cannot do it and compare it to other games.... its like saying I bought the fastest car for track racing but why wont it work when I want to go speedboat racing... 

Can you stop posting your ignorance please. People not having good enough PCs, you being fine with 30fps or anything else you said isn't the problem. Developers are well aware of it.

8 minutes ago, banOkay said:

Can you stop posting your ignorance please. People not having good enough PCs, you being fine with 30fps or anything else I you said isn't the problem. Developers are well aware of it.

wrong

I'm sure the devs are aware of many things..  its unfortunate that many of the buyers of the game remain ignorant.

Edited by embecmom

On 9/8/2017 at 6:46 AM, embecmom said:

the conversation is getting old because people keep expecting their potato to run like its vodka...

This guy!  What an expert

3.33 6 core Xeon, 24gb ram, GTX 980 is a potato now!

I was ignorant of the minimum specs required for this game because the minimum specs posted on Steam are:

Intel Core i5-2500K CPU

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: Geforce GTX 770 or AMD Radeon HD 7870

Once again, I understand EA titles change rapidly.  Not upset with the devs, they are making an amazing game with a small team.  But can you read those minimum specs, look at my specs, and *honestly* tell me I should have expected 25fps average performance?

Edited by d4ndr01d

1 hour ago, d4ndr01d said:

Once again, I understand EA titles change rapidly.  Not upset with the devs, they are making an amazing game with a small team.  But can you read those minimum specs, look at my specs, and *honestly* tell me I should have expected 25fps average performance?

How does 9.9 run for you, just out of curiosity. I'm seeing reports of people gaining 30+ fps average

7 hours ago, Psyrus said:

How does 9.9 run for you, just out of curiosity. I'm seeing reports of people gaining 30+ fps average

Whoa this update made all the difference.  Fps hovers between 50-70 and never dips below 40.  I can play now!

Just wanted to follow up - played for a few hours tonight in a full server on version 9.9.  Fps tends to live around 50 at 1440p. I have all settings on High and most of the post options on except for lens flare and high res textures so I could definitely hit higher if I didn't prioritize graphics.  Fps doesn't hamper the experience at all for me - devs rock!