jellyswim

Blocking bridges...

So I've encountered this tactic on maps like al basrah where the U.S. team will drive a transport to the bridges at ins main and leave them there blocking all the exits so the insurgents aren't able to use vehicles. It's a cheap exploit and it ruins the game for everyone. I'm not sure much can be done about it on the devs part, and even though we'llbe able to dig vehicle wrecks eventually, that still takes time and exposes people. I feel like bridge blocking should be a bannable offense.

Well, I believe those types of rules would be server-by-server tbh. I see what you're saying, and I've never done it or really even thought about it, but it's not really "cheating" or "exploiting" since they are not altering the game to do it. Now, that's just my opinion, so I'm not saying you're wrong. 

I saw this come up recently watching this past weekend's NAS match on Al-Basrah, and even both admins said it's a usable tactic that is allowed. I believe they even said if you don't want the other team to block your bridges, then don't let them get there...i understand both points to be honest, but still believe that intentional bridge blocking might be hard to prove and should be handled server-by-server. 

Good thread though - I'm interested in what others say :)

6 minutes ago, _randombullet said:

It has been stated by head devs that wreckage will be able to be removed via shovel.

Yea, the OP mentioned that and as you say it has been stated by the devs already, however I believe he's saying even that is an "exploit" since it'll put players exposed since they'll be out there digging...anyway, just his thoughts, not mine really. 

Sappers to blow the bridges before the enemy can use them to attack....when can we blow them up and repair them? Its a real war tactic to block and blow up bridges as they are a natural barrier and choke point for entering or leaving two sides of the real barrier, rivers and mountain passes.  In BF 1942, Operation Market Garden, the bridge had walkways, so when vehicles got stacked up and destroyed, blocking it you could still use walkways for cover and advancing on foot. ScreenShot24.jpg

Edited by XRobinson

Any tactic or strategy permitted by the game logic and not forbidden by the built in rules of the game and the license agreement is valid gameplay as far as I'm concerned. Taking the idea from several other games I've played previously I immediately started blocking bridges the week vehicles entered Squad. Specifically, the bridge on Fools Road Village and/or the gap between the fence at Train Station or the entrance to Popanov depending which team I'm on. The minimal ticket loss of transport trucks easily outweighs the impact it has on movement and logistics. 

That said, I'd imagine the devs were aware of the eventuality of such an occurrence just like underwater FOB's and yet multiple patches have occurred so my inference is it's completely valid gameplay unless the particular server you play on specifically forbids it in their Hadith's.

If you got opposing teams on both sides of a bridge, regardless if its blocked by wrecks or parked vehicles, its a no mans land being covered by MG nests and hard to find cover area, smoke tactics and cover tactics are required, you would think.

The fact that you currently can't remove them makes it a weak tactic IMO. Once there is a method, be it by shovels, IED, C4, engineers. pushing with armor or whatever the devs give us, I think it'll only add to gameplay. Heroic drives to try to place them, heroic rushes by some dude with explosives to try to clear them, that sort of thing. 

Seems like I thought there were explosives in game already....??? Should be able to clear a bridge now?  If not why not, should be bumped up on to do list, in agreement.  Sappers and ability to blow up bridges too.  :)

3 hours ago, XRobinson said:

Seems like I thought there were explosives in game already....??? Should be able to clear a bridge now?  If not why not, should be bumped up on to do list, in agreement.  Sappers and ability to blow up bridges too.  :)

Certainly this would another dimension to the game by having to protect your bridges and supply routes.

3 hours ago, LugNut said:

The fact that you currently can't remove them makes it a weak tactic IMO. Once there is a method, be it by shovels, IED, C4, engineers. pushing with armor or whatever the devs give us, I think it'll only add to gameplay. Heroic drives to try to place them, heroic rushes by some dude with explosives to try to clear them, that sort of thing. 

How so when the developers designed persistent destroyed vehicles into the game in the first place and thus far have chosen not to undo that? Thinking otherwise would make the assumption that this wasn't a conscious decision on their part.

Plus I'm pretty sure it's a simple drop down box in the vehicles blueprint and could have been "fixed" ages ago.

Cheap and gamey tactic IMO, but now that it's possible to get out of INS Mains on Basrah via shallow water, it no longer completely ruins the map.

7 minutes ago, tatzhit said:

Cheap and gamey tactic IMO, but now that it's possible to get out of INS Mains on Basrah via shallow water, it no longer completely ruins the map.

Nope. That can be blocked as well.

5 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Nope. That can be blocked as well.

Theoretically, yeah, but how many vehicles would one need? Like 4, plus 4 more for bridges? That's a huge ticket loss and a lot of work. Back on the old Basrah, blocking was happening all the time, now it's quite rare in pub matches

17 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Certainly this would another dimension to the game by having to protect your bridges and supply routes.

How so when the developers designed persistent destroyed vehicles into the game in the first place and thus far have chosen not to undo that? Thinking otherwise would make the assumption that this wasn't a conscious decision on their part.

Plus I'm pretty sure it's a simple drop down box in the vehicles blueprint and could have been "fixed" ages ago.

You can make the assumption that since it exists, that anything in the game is a deliberate decision, but we don't know the full extent of the thought and deliberation that went into it. For example, persistent wrecks, for the most part are a good thing, they provide cover and variety in the landscape, which might be the main motivation for not having them vanish after a set amount of time. And, on most maps, it doesn't pay to use them as a deliberate roadblock. Maybe it takes more than a few seconds in the blueprint to fix it? Maybe they just have other fish to fry? Maybe they have a change in mind and they're waiting on other features before they implement it? It's really not a major issue at the moment either way, like a lot of other things in game that are a little wonky. 

IRL, wrecks are permanent, til you can bulldoze them to the side or off the bridge into the water, even just using an explosive on a vehicle leaves a wreck, examples in FallOut4 when vehicles explode there, they still exist as a burned out radioactive bit of metal.  When they explode they sometimes go into air and come down resting in different spot.  Wrecks should still exist til they are bulldozed for most part, explosives should just blow them to new spot.

The metal bridges they packed with explosives to make them collapse sometimes didnt work so well, because the metal beams would have to be completely blown through all sides, in WW2.  For example the Ludendorff bridge I modeled was partially blown but didnt collapse, there was one side of bridge beam partially destroyed, but bridge still stood.  That's how metal works, same with tanks that are blown to bits, usually still a burnt hull left behind.Damaged-ludendorff-Bridge-at-Remagen.jpg

Look at spot where explosives hit.  Interestingly the bridge did finally collapse over time from these damages.

Edited by XRobinson

3 hours ago, LugNut said:

You can make the assumption that since it exists, that anything in the game is a deliberate decision, but we don't know the full extent of the thought and deliberation that went into it.

That might be the case but in this situation the issue was brought to their attention in the first week of vehicles and subsequently many other times as trolls blocked the exits of their own bases with destroyed vehicles. There were other threads about this very topic and the last dev narrative I recall was persistent husks would remain and at some point they would enable destruction of them with explosives.