jellyswim

Squad vs. Project reality: discussion

Squad vs. PR  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• I'd like squad to take its own turn
    • I'd like squad to become more like PR

I personally love both Squad and PR and I can wait to see what squad brings in the future. A question I have for other players of both games is this: do you want to see Squad become more like PR? Would you like to see separate APC squads and INF squads? Or designated logistics squads? I love the idea of combined arms and things like calling arty and airstrikes when its all players doing those tasks and I think if/when squad gets jets and helicopters, that's something I'd be very happy with

banOkay   

I'd like to see engagements become longer via different shooting mechanics, bullet damage, suppression and newly thought out systems that would all add more depth and make it harder to kill someone.

Squad is relatively slow, but when the action happens it's over very fast. Shorter firefights where few well placed bullets kill anyone at anytime dumb down on the tactical aspect. Where in PR you always need to make a conscious choice of opening fire or waiting, repositioning, coordinating, flanking etc. in Squad you almost always just shoot. If you don't the other guy/ squad might see you and do the same.

This is by far the biggest thing that makes PR INF combat what it is, it favours decision making over being quick on the trigger. It feels more rewarding and more engaging.

Edited by banOkay

Carlos   

Its a successor to PR not a remake, the Dev's have a chance to take the best aspects of many older shooters that we loved and run with it.

L0cation   

You might find it stuiped but one thing i loved in PR is the fog at the distance ( i know it was an engine limitation ) but i still keep stressing on the forums why i would like some of it to come back ... In my opinion aside from making the game look a bit less photo realistic ( which i don't really care about ) , the fog only brought with it good things .... Like balanced ground to air combat , in squad you can spot a target million miles away and i know it's realistic but we are playing on smaller maps than real life , in my opinion a good implemation of fog in the distance like in project reality would bring more balanced gameplay with vehicles with high zoom and high firepower , make helicopters fly alot safer in the sky , i mean think about the new antiair weapon would be able to spot the black hawk from miles away and again it is going to be only about who fires first like said above.  scopes and upcoming high powered scopes will be alot more easier to balance , will allow the addition of flat desert maps like i know we had some in PR that played really well , and will increase performance . 

Flat896   

I want it to be more like PR. Of course I don't want Squad to be an outright copy/paste, but PR has a template that I want to be followed since that template is responsible for the best multiplayer gameplay I've ever participated in. Following PR's footsteps will save a lot of time, since most of the trial and error was already done in PR. 

Anything other than a proper successor to PR will disappoint me greatly, since that's the premise that I was sold on. 

I also have to agree with with @L0cation on the fog. I don't think that proper combined arms warfare can work like it did in PR without the fog. Obviously I don't want fog to start at the same distances as PR since that is just too short a view distance for a game in 2017, but pushing fog out 2x or more would be great. I understand all the excitement about unlimited view distance like ArmA, but it just doesn't make sense on 4x4km maps. You can already snipe people across the map in BTRs on some maps, and those have weak optics. Unlimited view distances and comepletely realistic scaling limits gameplay possibilities and creates annoying scenarios.

It could use a lot more aspects of PR, like some of what banOkay said about firefights:

2 hours ago, banOkay said:

-in PR you always need to make a conscious choice of opening fire or waiting, repositioning, coordinating, flanking etc. in Squad you almost always just shoot. If you don't the other guy/ squad might see you and do the same.

This is by far the biggest thing that makes PR INF combat what it is, it favours decision making over being quick on the trigger. It feels more rewarding and more engaging.

That definietly needs to change about Squad, but other things like more encouragement of specialized roles and squads are what really breathed life into the PR community imo.

nebsif   

I loved how PR was a bunch of quality tested and approved mods.. I hope Squad doesnt become a mess of a million half assed maps each server can run as it pleases

suds   

I want the mature tactical gaming with the largest possible player base. Keep it easy to get into and play but in an environment which benefits tactical play over run and gun. (with run and gun being fun still for those short sessions where action is all you want.)

More players, more servers. Not a wide range of mods which dilute the player base.

L0cation   
11 hours ago, suds said:

I want the mature tactical gaming with the largest possible player base. Keep it easy to get into and play but in an environment which benefits tactical play over run and gun. (with run and gun being fun still for those short sessions where action is all you want.)

More players, more servers. Not a wide range of mods which dilute the player base.

About the mods.... Squad has an insane potential when it come to moddig , we have insanly talented and passionate modders and the dev even support modding , plus modding is what can hold a game's player base forever .

I do get what you are saying and the only way to counter that problem it's to make mod packs that will concentrate the work of many separate mod authors to mod packs whenever possible .

12 hours ago, suds said:

If you notice, theres currently 70-100 completely empty servers at given time right now so I think we got you covered there.

12 hours ago, nebsif said:

I hope Squad doesnt become a mess of a million half assed maps each server can run as it pleases.

Given the ridiculous amount of fun killing supplemental rules that servers are currently allowed to impose I can pretty much guarantee your nightmare will in fact become reality.

32 minutes ago, EA_SUCKS said:

PR took 12 years to be what it is today, Squad should follow in the same direction, of being something good as PR is...

Lets hope Squad is finished in less than 12 years though.

Don't change/Fix what Isn't broken....as long as  that's the case it should be as good as PR and better due to better engine/graphics and some new stuff here and there.

I can think of a lot of newer games that are prequel's or like squad made by same people/company built  off the success of a previous game that made a shity or less appealing game. When really all they had to do was make the same damn game with new maps better graphics and on a up to date engine.

If it isn't broke don't fix it...make it the same ..then after you have done that. make some tweeks or visionary things you want or whatever els built off the build that is already successful.  but not in a way that can ruin what the base game is...donno if that makes sense but thats the way i see it.

Edited by ♠DEG♠

suds   

@Zylfrax791 The empty servers are the problem :) If there are a lot of players wanting to play the same game or mod of it then the servers spaces will follow this, the problem comes when there are not enough players to keep the game enjoyable.

Mods are great, I love them, the problem is the way they split the player base into smaller groups, it can kill off games. A simplified example is Hardcore vs Softcore in the big games, half the players available to each version of the same thing...it's sad really.

No game is going to please everyone perfectly but the OWI team have done a good job of targeting the majority. Not milsim but with many aspects of it. Not run and gun but fast enough to keep the biggest gaming base interested.

While I really enjoyed PR in its peak. .5 - .9(ish?), Squad should not try to be PR. A lot of things that worked and made sense in PR were largely due to it being a mod for an older engine, and the community being what it was.

Squad has all sorts of new tech (Unreal) and ideas to leverage that it would be a damn shame if it ended up as a PR remake. Squad took a lot of good stuff from PR and we are still likely to see more influence in coming patches; crewman kit for example. Best of both worlds in my opinion.