I think it would be a cool addition and it would balance the Insurgent/Militia team more if we had Mines/IEDs triggered by stepping on them. They would greatly help both teams and they would be awesome. Many times US soldiers have stepped on a weird looking "rock" only to blow up a milisecond after. I would personally love those. One good mine, a full squad tightly knit together and one man to step on it. Amazing.

US still uses mines ? lol, i thought last time they did was in Vietnam or something 

49 minutes ago, -MG said:

US still uses mines ? lol, i thought last time they did was in Vietnam or something 

No, I meant that US soldiers STEP on enemy mines or IEDs and blow up so we should have mines and ieds triggered by walking over them

1 hour ago, LaughingJack said:

Claymores anyone?

More like the tripwire flare :) 

But yeah a command-detonated claymore would be nice.

The topic was specifically about pressure-detonated mines or IEDs. Currently there's only anti vehicle mines and remote detonated IEDs (which are not very useful at all if you dont use them as a VBIED), so there goes the need to detonate. Just a good step on it and boom.

I agree, this could be a great idea. We had something like this in Project Reality :

WC_IED_Banner_tn.jpg

If they could do it in PR, should be possible in Squad :P

only player controlled please.

frustration of a random death would ruin the game for me. 

Automatic kills add nothing to infantry except frustration. Vehicles are a different story but already have TK issues which are very hard to resolve.

20 hours ago, -MG said:

Huh, I wonder. Never really stopped to think when those items may have gone out of service, 'cause they're generally a lot of fun in games, heheh. Certainly see enough of "Front toward enemy" in surplus shops still.

17 hours ago, suds said:

only player controlled please.

frustration of a random death would ruin the game for me. 

Automatic kills add nothing to infantry except frustration. Vehicles are a different story but already have TK issues which are very hard to resolve.

I dont think it would case frustration. It wouldnt be invisibe but not easy to see at all, either. In real life theyre fully burried in the sand, and you cant see it at all. On the downside maybe each scout could only have two of them at a time on the map and they could take extended time place and to dig in.

It was good in pr, the animation to place it was very long, and you could see a small pile of fresh sand where it was placed. The thrill was real when you cleared enemy compounds.

Yeah i doubt they would cause much frustration, except for idots who don't pay attention. :P Same thing with the AT mines and IED's tbh.

I really hope they'll be added, they are an amazing ideea in my opinion. They're very realistic, in fact there's much much more victim-triggered IEDs than remote triggered ones in real life, just look up videos of soldiers stepping on IEDs.

I think it's a bad idea. Even with regular vehicle mines it's TK galore. What will it be with anti personal mines ?. I learned that regardless if you warn your team of having placed one or not....there always that d*ckhead that still needs to run over your mine. 

Not sure about you, but i dont wanna get Banned becuz people can't read their map

Edited by -MG

Maybe make it so you cant tk with a pressure-detonated mine? Even if that is highly unrealistic... but I still want them, they're MUCH more common that remote-detonated IEDs and mines combined. IEDs are useless right now if theyre not turned into vbieds, you never know when someone is near it or when you have to detonate.

zero skill kills do not make a game better.

3 hours ago, suds said:

They're not 0 skill, I already explained the advantages and disadvantages... if thats what you think then with all due respect, its pretty ****ing stupid. What about the AT mines? They're the same thing but for vehicles.

I think that Anti-Infantry mines will make the game. I mean, once you place them they are marked on your team's map. If a friendly steps on it then that will be his own fault.

6 hours ago, suds said:

Sorry but it is one of the most common death causes in war. And Squad, while not meant to be fully realistic, simulates realistic warfare. It's absolutely a must-have for the insurgent faction at least.

draco and guan, what you say may be true but so is my statement. The game will not be improved by adding a device which gives someone a kill just because they have an item in their kit.

Claymores etc are bad for gaming. They are not enjoyable for the person who placed (no challenge) them or the person blown up by them or trying to avoid them (more time watching without input ie dead OR slow, boring movement. 

But the point is to win as a team. If your enemy is advancing and you manage to take slow them down by taking some of them out with a mine, then it greatly benefits your team by giving your squads more time to prepare or counter. It helps the gameplay pretty well in my opinion. 

You still have to think about where to place it, how long it can take and it can change the game for the team. I wouldnt say its 0 skill. It wouldnt be invisible but not easy to spot either, could cover the retreat of your team etc, and its very common in real warfare, it is the cause of most deaths. It was in PR too so I think the devs should consider adding it honestly.

@Guan_Yu007 Very true, skills beyond the physical are the only reason I can still compete as my age slows my reflexes and reduces my hand-eye coordination. 

I am happy for a player to place an explosive in my path and watch, waiting for the right moment to take me out. eg the IED. 

This takes skill and patience, correct tactical assumptions and clever placement, concealment of the player while still being able to see the area. I would be happy for some roles to have multiple small area explosives which they trigger manually so these were more common. I would enjoy playing this myself.

I would not be happy to be walking through an area with bushes which conceal things and find some lucky player had placed an automatically triggered explosive there. Particularly if that person was on my team...but even as an enemy. I often walk for 5 to 15 mins to flank or evade detection, to die from some dumb luck after this will cause immense frustration. I expect it would cause more ragequits than anything else in the game. 

A tripwire which sets off an alarm or a smoke grenade would be ok.