Draco

What do you all think about the new Insurgent models?

It's something I've been waiting for a looooong long time for, and we finally got a first look at it. The new Insurgent models, as the faction is going to get overhauled in terms of aesthetics. What do you think about the models? Personally I love them, only that they may be a little bit too well equipped. Generally in Syria and Iraq you see people in jeans and a ragged tshirt and some adidas football cleats, the only piece of military equipment being some old vietnamese rip-off chestrig. But they do look great indeed. 

insurgents_1.jpg

insurgents_2.jpg

So far I'm really digging the look. Very rough and ramshackle with different gear an clothes, can't wait to see them textured.

26 minutes ago, Draco said:

only that they may be a little bit too well equipped. Generally in Syria and Iraq you see people in jeans and a ragged tshirt and some adidas football cleats, the only piece of military equipment being some old vietnamese rip-off chestrig. But they do look great indeed. 

Then you haven't been watching a lot of the more recent footage of them. Plenty of these guys running around with decent chest rigs/vests and military surplus clothing. And I really don't see how these are "too well equipped", 2 of these guys are in shorts and others are in shirts and a thin jacket. 

Edited by Chompster

Just now, Chompster said:

So far I'm really digging the look. Very rough and ramshackle with different gear an clothes, can't wait to see them textured.

Then you haven't been watching a lot of the more recent footage of them. Plenty of these guys running around with decent chest rigs/vests and military surplus clothing.

Yeah but that's in more urban regions. For example, this set of models PERFECTLY fits Basrah and soon-to-be Fallujah. But I imagine old pashtuni villagers wouldn't wear decent chest rigs and military surplus, probably wear a thawb (arabic long shirt) and some old vest and a turban like the current models do.

1 minute ago, Draco said:

Yeah but that's in more urban regions. For example, this set of models PERFECTLY fits Basrah and soon-to-be Fallujah. But I imagine old pashtuni villagers wouldn't wear decent chest rigs and military surplus, probably wear a thawb (arabic long shirt) and some old vest and a turban like the current models do.

Those would be more Taliban then, which I believe the devs have said they won't be modeling them after.

Edited by Chompster

Just now, Chompster said:

Those would be more Taliban then, when I believe the devs have said they won't be modeling them after.

Yeah, honestly I think it's better this way, going for the more modern/urban look. When Fallujah finally gets introduced, after the new anim system and hopefully the new insurgents I will be able to die happy

1 minute ago, Draco said:

You're not wrong, but then again the same can be said but the other way around. Maybe a community modder can put together some high quality "Taliban" models for use in those other maps.

Just now, IronComatose said:

You're not wrong, but then again the same can be said but the other way around. Maybe a community modder can put together some high quality "Taliban" models for use in those other maps.

Mmyeah didn't think about the other side, taliban in Basrah and Fallujah :P Oh well. Separate models for each faction on fitting maps would be amazing, like CS:GO has multiple models for T and CT sides. For example a more chechen-arab look for Militia on desert maps and the current Novorossyian/Ukrainian militia look they have now in the European maps. Not sure it's possible and if it is it's not coming anywhere in 2018 and maybe not 2019

As someone else mentioned, essentially, the Insurgent faction is a fictionalized one that is heavily inspired by the current Middle Eastern conflicts.

We understand that some will feel a bit like the immersive-ness of having these guys on Afghan maps will be a bit incongruous, but we have always stated that we will be moving away (to the best of our ability) from political organizations.

30 minutes ago, SgtRoss said:

As someone else mentioned, essentially, the Insurgent faction is a fictionalized one that is heavily inspired by the current Middle Eastern conflicts.

We understand that some will feel a bit like the immersive-ness of having these guys on Afghan maps will be a bit incongruous, but we have always stated that we will be moving away (to the best of our ability) from political organizations.

Probably gonna be a while before ISIS is considered an acceptable faction to have in games unfortunately

I dig em, not sure about the rolled up pants lol. Only thing that is required are maps for them to fit. 
Iraq/Syria.

2 hours ago, SgtRoss said:

heavily inspired by the current Middle Eastern conflicts.

The two right models look like they are from South America though. o.O Or is it just me?

insurgents_2.jpg

Edited by bilsantu
Forgot to link the picture.

2 hours ago, SgtRoss said:

Kinda sad that it won't be real factions like in Project Reality. SJW's these days. Imagine if you had an ISIS faction, people would lose their shit. But most of us would love the game to bits if there were real factions (ISIL, FSA, Jabhat al-Nusra, Chechen Insurgents etc) but eh, what can you do

I also dont like the rolled up pants. And the boots on the RPG rocket backpack guy are a bit too military-ish, I'd imagine some old leather/rubber boots rather than combat boots

Edited by Draco

23 hours ago, Draco said:

Kinda sad that it won't be real factions like in Project Reality. SJW's these days. Imagine if you had an ISIS faction, people would lose their shit.

Personally I feel like the generic term "Insurgent" is an adequate broad description encompassing all the particular radical groups and/or sects within Islam. Certainly the game itself and its contents makes it crystal clear that the Insurgents are in fact Muslim terrorists. No sugar coating that fact. 

Maybe we can keep to corrent insurget models on the maps that they are fit in .... You know the clay buildings maps .... And have these new insurgent models on more urban maps like al basrah and the upcoming fallujah west map , as they seem more fitted to these maps 

I don't care if the new models don't fit the Afghan terrain that well because they look 10x better than the current models.

I love the new models and i think that they are not too much out of place on the afghan maps. Insurgents these days do have quite some equipment, even body armor is getting much more commen in irregular forces these days

They're looking really good and I'm seeing some signs that Mel might be using Marvelous Designer to create the clothing which could speed up the development process.

As for making them a fictionalised faction, I'm all for it. Some people might complain that it's because of SJWs, or something, but even without any outside pressure I would be in favour of fictionalising irregular factions purely for the freedom of equipment choice and setting.

I would love it if the irregular factions where modular to a point where the head models and headgear could be swapped out depending on the map region so all irregular factions could be used in any map without the ethnicity of the soldiers being incongruous with the setting.

14 hours ago, FeatherSton3 said:

The first image kind of looks like something Bosnian people would wear. Something from like the movie "Behind Enemy Lines"

It looks more like early Chechen/Dagestani jihadists

If I think about it, there may be a possibility to have 2 different models for more urban maps and then afghani village maps etc. Just like Russia has the forest AND desert camo, the Insurgents could have a different secondary camo or maybe even whole new models.

Edited by Draco

On 02.09.2017 at 5:47 PM, Draco said:

(ISIL, FSA, Jabhat al-Nusra, Chechen Insurgents etc)

I believe Militia are chechen insurgents, i mean they are insurgents and they speak Russian like chechens just dont have beards, they also do look like Eastern-Ukrainian separatists though, but they are fighting Russia (which politically makes no sense).

Why not both? Have the old models on maps they fit best and the new ones on maps they fit best.

Edited by Chazer

Pretty sure the Militia models are staying. These are Insurgent models. Different faction. Just won't see any more taliban. Probably.

We should've just upgraded their sandals and give them +10 agility

nike-kawa-shower-slide-womens

But in all honesty though why remove their sandals!