Gatzby

August 2017 Recap

Hi Squaddies,
August was a bit of a quiet month, as OWI was exposed to sunlight as a group outside of Vancouver. Fully rested and recharged, we're back at it -- you may have noticed the Unreal Engine 4.16 update in the 9.8 patch. We've been building on that groundwork and have some cool stuff to show off from August. Are you ready to see how the new animation system is shaping up? Dig in!

Systems

Animation System Update - Almost there!

Our new Animation and Weapon Handling system is approaching the final stretch! Our game designers are getting their hands on it, taking it apart, and rebuilding the way weapons handle. Our Programming team is also hard at work optimising this new system, as its features are now being locked for the next release. The features coming with the new system include Climbing, Vaulting, Deployable Bipods, UGL/Rocket Launcher Adjustable Sights, Crouch-Sprinting, Free-Look, and seamless Weapon Transitions. (Switching between UGL/Rifle, Ammo Types, etc.)

The capture data from our motion capture session we did last month with Animatrik is also being implemented into the new system, breathing new life into our characters as they traverse the battlefield. Please be aware that some of the MOCAP data still needs refinement by our animators and speeds adjusted by game designers.

Deployable Bipods

Bipods are a feature coming first to Light Machine Guns, enabling players to set up on any flat surface ranging from window ledges, walls, tables, and more. Players will enjoy a dramatic increase in stability and accuracy to their weapon. Also, reloading while deployed is faster as the weapon is supported allowing swifter manipulation of the controls.

Climbing and Vaulting

Seen previously in earlier recaps, this system will be coming in with the new Animation System, and it will allow players to traverse obstacles up to chest height unaided. Depending on the thickness of the obstacle, you will either vault right over it or, if there is room to stand, climb on top of the obstacle. In this first iteration, it will be bound to the standard jump button.

Adjustable Sights

Featured in the last recap, Adjustable Sights are to be added to all Grenade Launchers and Anti-Tank rocket launchers. These allow gunners to more effectively hit targets out at further distances (as the sight wouldn't be obstructing your view), as well as offering some unexpected uses, like turning the Russian GP-25 Grenade Launcher into a pseudo-mortar.

Crouch-Sprinting

Players will have the ability to sprint while crouched, effectively being able to move while under cover. This action though typically consumes more stamina than normal sprinting and isn't as swift as sprinting normally. Quacking while moving is optional.

Free-Look

Also featured in one of our first peeks at the new Animation System, Free Look will allow players to decouple their view from their weapon and look around without penalty. This is particularly useful when operating deployed light machine guns, where it will enable you to check your flanks while still keeping your weapon readily pointed downrange, as well as admire your newly deployed bipod. Typically a feature found in more mil-sim style games, we decided to include it as we felt it was in line with the tactical nature and pace of the game.

Weapon Transitions

One significant change we've done to our weapon system was to allow for the seamless transitioning from part of one weapon to another part, such as with a rifle and its under-barrel grenade launcher. Another useful appearance is found while switching ammunition types, where the player can now seamlessly switch from one type to another.

Art

New Insurgent Soldiers

Our original take on the Insurgent faction is finally taking shape! Donning a variety of civilian and surplus military apparel, this faction should look a lot more rag-tag in the field than our current set, as well as look a lot more high-fidelity. These still have a little ways to go, but expect them to come in a future version.

M240 GPMG

A staple of infantry since the '70s, the M240 is one of the first GPMGs coming to Squad, featuring the deployable bipods. They'll be made more fearsome by Suppression overhauls in coming patches. Look forward to each faction getting their own GPMG!

BGM-71 TOW Missile

With more vehicle options coming in the future, more anti-vehicle options are coming alongside them. Enter the BGM-71 TOW Missile, a familiar sight on the battlefield.

ZU-23 Anti-Aircraft Gun

A revisit on an asset we showed off in May, the twin-barreled 23mm Anti-Aircraft Gun has been completed art-wise and is soon to be ready for implementation once the other parts of our plan for more diverse vehicle assets are done. More barrels are better.

All in all, not a bad month! We truly can't wait to get the new animation system into your hands, especially to see what sort of mayhem you folks muster up with those grenade launchers. Stay safe out there!

Offworld Out.

Oh nice job guys! Deployableb bipods finally make the MG class something to fear. As for "Climbing" guess its time to make those SUPER FOB's a little bit higher and/or barbwire a lot more important.

31 minutes ago, CodeRedFox said:

Oh nice job guys! Deployableb bipods finally make the MG class something to fear. As for "Climbing" guess its time to make those SUPER FOB's a little bit higher and/or barbwire a lot more important.

*throws 1 nade*

*destroys 20 barbed wires*

New animation system is looking very nice.  Keep up the great work guys.

One question: With bipods being usable, will we see other weapons with the ability to rest on objects included with this update as well?

5 hours ago, CodeRedFox said:

It looks like you are quite vulnerable while climbing so it might not be that bad.

Love the animation they look very fluid, the bipod will surely make AR much more appealing to many, as TomConn said, I wonder if there will be a support of sorts for weapon stability when resting your weapon on a surface or against a wall.

Will weapon lowering be implemented in the animation update? Didn't see it in the pre-changelist.

Sgt.Ross: 

That was epic, i love the new insurgent models

Edited by Frinz

Great work devs. Squad is getting closer to some quality animations. Although they are still wip it's nice to see what's coming. Seeing squad mates running and vaulting realistically is going to add so much more to the feeling of actually being there I am going to be suffering PTSD on a regular basis.

Shocked you've taken away the insurgent sandles and gnarly feet. Always a good talking point for some lighthearted banter in the field. Medic: I've bandaged your gaping torso wound but by Allah I can't do anything about your feet my brother. 

Edited by Major Trouble
Spelling

Those insurgent models look like the real deal! Very nice job with that and everything else.

Also, please put that AA gun on an MTLB for the militia : )

Well done.It all looks cool especially vaulting, RPG ammo switching without switching to another RPG.And i cant wait to sit in the ZU-23-2 ;-)

Can we have confirmation that freelook will use TRACKIR please ? This looks awesome!! Like in ARMA, great job guys!

I wonder if ZU-23 will be mounted on Technicals for Insurgent faction & MTLB for Militia, i think they showed MTLB model with ZU mounted faaar back in alpha if im not mistaken ? As for animations, crouch sprint looks kinda weird to me but as they said it's not 100% done yet so i guess we'll see looking forward to the update, awesome work guys keep it up :)) 

1 hour ago, CoolSpy said:

Can we have confirmation that freelook will use TRACKIR please ? This looks awesome!! Like in ARMA, great job guys!

Taxi confirmed on reddit they have the TrackIR SDK and are trying to make it work at somepoint but its not a promise - theyre trying though :) 

I liked the recap, only thing that throws me is - its all cool seeing a TOW/ZU23, but why> they wont be added for quite sometime surely? (without proper counters IE tanks, helicopter?) surely it would be best to show stuff we WILL get soon? I might just be abit cynical though. 

keep it up. 

5 minutes ago, IINAYDOGII said:

Taxi confirmed on reddit they have the TrackIR SDK and are trying to make it work at somepoint but its not a promise - theyre trying though :) 

I liked the recap, only thing that throws me is - its all cool seeing a TOW/ZU23, but why> they wont be added for quite sometime surely? (without proper counters IE tanks, helicopter?) surely it would be best to show stuff we WILL get soon? I might just be abit cynical though. 

keep it up. 

Recaps have never been about showing you what's coming in the next patch, or "soon". It's a recap of development and even then they don't show every single thing that was worked on throughout the month. Artists that model and texture work on things a lot sooner than the rest of the disciplines, that's why we'll see things that won't be in for a while. :)

Awesome recap! :D

Just now, Assifuah said:

Recaps have never been about showing you what's coming in the next patch, or "soon". It's a recap of development and even then they don't show every single thing that was worked on throughout the month. Artists that model and texture work on things a lot sooner than the rest of the disciplines, that's why we'll see things that won't be in for a while. :)

Awesome recap! :D

its probably a sign of me getting older after being here for so long haha - Im not trying to be a downer, I think its just harder for me to get abit of hype knowing that really its not gonna be here for a while. I get you though - just seems abit odd to me, pre-emptive kinda thing. 

Looking pretty good. Hoping the floating bipods gets tweaked as well as the weapons going through walls at some point.

11 hours ago, Schuschpangewehr said:

Is it just me, or stand-up animation looks a bit too... spider-man alike?

AFRpI78.jpg

Check our Twitter out, that specific transition was not MOCAP.

7 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

Those insurgent models look like the real deal! Very nice job with that and everything else.

Also, please put that AA gun on an MTLB for the militia : )

Maybe? ;)

5 hours ago, CoolSpy said:

It is being looked into, further information will likely be coming in the future relating to its viability.

3 hours ago, IINAYDOGII said:

keep it up. 

To quote the article: "With more vehicle options coming in the future, more anti-vehicle options are coming alongside them. Enter the BGM-71 TOW Missile, a familiar sight on the battlefield."

The Recap often shows what is currently being developed or already developed. Multiple artists work on different assets at any given time. Some of the assets were not ready to be shown in time for the article, this was just readily available when the article was planned to release.