Sign in to follow this  
contact

Pilot Qualifications, Flight Hours, Management

contact   

A little background first- In PR I was a self proclaimed trans chopper pro. In the beginning (HOG 24/7 Muttrah days) I spent hours upon hours upon hours practicing landings, supply drops, AA avoidance routes, damage control, etc before even considering going on a live server with a full squad onboard. There have been so many games where the trans squad could either make or break the match it was a hot point with admins to quickly identify/take care of unskilled pilots. So I spent as much time as I could perfecting my live game skills until I could keep my chopper alive the entire round. Unfortunately there were a couple times false accusations or crappy circumstances put good pilots in a bad spot, like getting kicked after staying in a server for 3 rounds just to get into the trans squad. I just thought it would be cool to have a qualification system where (like others have suggested) a requirement to pass a training course before getting the privilege to fly on a live server, but also something that shows flight hours, airframes lost, number of troops transported, supply drops, etc. That way some dufus that keeps flying squads in front of a BTR or AA emplacement can be identified and automatically banned from flying in another server until they requalify in training or wait a set amount of time. Then also really good pilots can be recognised by the trans SL and recruited based on their stats. I'm sure there's other vets on here that could come up with some more good ideas on how to make things better. I figured we should start to seriously discuss this before helos are introduced so a system can already be developed and put in place.

"Training" in it's various forms for various types of vehicles has been discussed to death - as a proposition to add that feature to Squad.

You really want Server specific Rules, i think. I'm sure there are hardcore clans out there running pretty full-on servers(and proper Training servers) for peeps that want these things in game. The rest is Stats, which would also be Server side settings i'm sure.

Spoiler

If you cannot tell yet, i am against any form of compulsory, built-in, training/qualification - i think it is an bad idea for the game to purposefully alienate itself from the majority of its potential market by forcing training on people - Squad is not real life and Squad is not a simulator - those who say it is need only look at the amount of screen candy (and "helpers") there is already in the game, brought over from BF's

LugNut   

While I understand where you're coming from, as a helo pilot in ARMA, I basically did the same, I'm not in favor of having elaborate hoops to jump through to prove you can fly. I would be in favor though of very basic stats being available to SL's. Right click on a players name on the map and maybe their flight hours and a flights/death ratio comes up? Something simple. 

Those BF2 flying times, when right after take off you get TKed with a full load of people and chopper crashes in blaze of glory and you get banned for killing all those in chopper....really it wasnt bad flying the guy on ground was mad he didnt get in in time or couldnt be pilot, I was TKed...you meat heads it wasn't my pilot skills!  LoL... I think there maybe should be single seater or double seater choppers to practice your skills on, say like a non transport recon helo, when you can fly that upside down and do loops without crashing, you can move to the bigger transport and combat choppers... :)

CptDirty   

How about weekly or monthly qualifications? I would presume that the game will be in Alpha for a while and with every month roughly there's an update. I imagine flight mechanics alone shouldn't change drastically however other aspects of the game (AA guns, armor, rope length, etc...) could become an issue for qualified pilots that don't fly often, or even players that take a break from Squad between updates. 

embecmom   

no not for a game... whilst it might be handy for people who want to SL to actually have to go through some training first I think this will only piss people off... and tbh if someone is that bad at flying a pc chopper and wasting assets they will be removed on the better servers.

Assifuah   

Let the playerbase handle that aspect.

Bad pilots will be known. Good pilots will be known. Serious servers will hand out punishments to the really bad pilots who don't spend some time practicing to become better, or asset wasters.

It's an aspect that has been talked about many times previously but the community can handle that stuff itself. If someone is a bad pilot, they'll want to either become better or they'll risk getting kicked or banned for wasting assets unless they put the time in to become better.. which means they'll either practice or they won't fly on the servers they like to play on.

No need to throw layers of "security" and restrictions or requirements into Squad. The beauty of it is that you learn to become good at things and you get recognised for it.

embecmom   

only thing I will add.. which is my own personal bug bear about the game... is that the punishment for losing a large asset should be more severe..to discourage those poor pilots from taking one ...

LugNut   

I'd imagine the respawn time on air assets is going to be loooong. Which will place your team at a serious disadvantage if you haven't killed theirs, so adding 100 tickets on top of that will be a match killing loss. 

On 9/5/2017 at 3:01 AM, Assifuah said:

No need to throw layers of "security" and restrictions or requirements into Squad.

You mean more than already exist now?

CptDirty   
3 hours ago, LugNut said:

I'd imagine the respawn time on air assets is going to be loooong. Which will place your team at a serious disadvantage if you haven't killed theirs, so adding 100 tickets on top of that will be a match killing loss. 

Idk man, i feel it's logical to have the air assets cost more than the logis or btr's/strykers at least twice as much. 

I've been flying since "OFP" I have thousands of hours in choppers when it comes to simulation games like OFP, ARMA2, ARMA 3.

The last thing I need is some snot nose kid screaming in my ear telling me I can't fly, when I was flying while he was still in diapers !

17 minutes ago, Devastation said:

I've been flying since "OFP" I have thousands of hours in choppers when it comes to simulation games like OFP, ARMA2, ARMA 3.

The last thing I need is some snot nose kid screaming in my ear telling me I can't fly, when I was flying while he was still in diapers !

IRL I've got about 20 hours towards my fixed wing in a Cessna 172. Can I fly the choppers please? Lol...

Seriously though something I've noticed about Squad. Every time a new vehicle or weapon gets added to the game everybody and his brother wants to try it of course but there's never enough to go around. Needless to say, once choppers and tanks are released I'm sure it will be no different. There's gotta be a better way so everyone can have fun.

Assifuah   
15 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

You mean more than already exist now?

Think about short term methods and long term methods. Pilot qualifications, flights hours and other management elements are a long term method for a game that's already complete and wouldn't require things like stat resets or constant maintenance as more content is added.

There's a difference between something necessary for the community and gameplay and something that is suited for the long term.

Starting FOBs with resources back in the CPA days? Short term, we had no vehicles and the community (the majority, not us) wasn't ready for proper logistic runs. Yet people thought it was something permanent.

If you're implying something like vehicle claiming is something that "already exists now", then make it clear. Put some proper effort into the post.

LugNut   
19 hours ago, CptDirty said:

Idk man, i feel it's logical to have the air assets cost more than the logis or btr's/strykers at least twice as much. 

Sure, but you'd have to adjust ticket levels fairly drastically to account for the two noob pilots who at the start of the match fly two loaded transport helos straight into enemy airspace and * kaboom *. If your team is down 200+ tickets in the first 5 minutes, you're done

-MG   

No qualifications ?, no training ?, no school ?. I can see  the tickets going down the drain fast, another reason not to even play the game lol.
Then again, really depends on the physics and detail that goes in the aircraft, if it's arcade stuff then there is no reason to worry.

If we're talking semi realistic physics such as arma 3 then things get far more difficult when you want to fly decent and agile. 
Landing stages & styles, behaviour of the collective, behaviour of a shot back rotor, Ruder behaviour according certain speeds, spacial clearance for rotors, knowing when to flare (mainly with battlechoppers), learning how to read gauges unless there's gonna be a vehicle hud.

Overal a chopper is fairly simple to fly compared to a jet/Plane.   

Edited by -MG

I don't agree that players should be locked out of vehicles unless they go through hoops or if they have poor performance. That would make the fun of the game so much less accessible to the player base. You can't use content you paid for unless you pass checks? That's too harsh. That's more of the squad leader or commander's job to kick absolutely horrible drivers out of vehicles. If you're a great driver, good for you you will probably win the match but there's no need to hardcode punishments in for noobs.

12 minutes ago, xxxWINGNUTSxxx said:

I don't agree that players should be locked out of vehicles unless they go through hoops or if they have poor performance. That would make the fun of the game so much less accessible to the player base. You can't use content you paid for unless you pass checks? That's too harsh. That's more of the squad leader or commander's job to kick absolutely horrible drivers out of vehicles. If you're a great driver, good for you you will probably win the match but there's no need to hardcode punishments in for noobs.

The transport/logistics choppers should be equivalent to the trucks and only have defensive flares. Typically most players aren't interested in doing logi runs so those choppers would be mobbed the first week and then no different afterwards.

On the other hand attack choppers and tanks should be worth considerably more tickets and should be difficult to requisition because of their power differential. That said, it should be a system similar to the HAT where there needs to be a certain amount of full squads however there would be an additional criteria where only squad leaders can claim and drive/pilot these vehicles and furthermore an additional two squad leaders will need to click and approve the requisition as well.

37 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

That said, it should be a system similar to the HAT where there needs to be a certain amount of full squads however there would be an additional criteria where only squad leaders can claim and drive/pilot these vehicles and furthermore an additional two squad leaders will need to click and approve the requisition as well.

I think the current system works. Strykers and the BTR are monsters and you would think they are mobbed whenever they spawn but most games I see them sitting in base while players would rather just spawn in with their squad's rally and continue the fight on foot. I saw this in PR too BTW with tanks and aircraft.

Also most times there is even trouble from your own squad leader giving approval of a vehicle for his squad member. What if the other squad leaders decide to troll that day and decide to not cooperate?

Again it's the squad leader and commander's role to manage those vehicles. If you're dicking around with the vehicles, the squad leader tells you to stop or get kicked and that would kick you out of the vehicle. And command can start a demote against a squad leader by a vote among the command and that would kick him out of the vehicle.

Bahrein   

Just let it be.First let them actually implement chopper in game and we will go from there.Anyway its up to Squad leader to approve you a vehicle its not like anyone can just get in a drive it.

Well, if my plane gets off the ground, I think it will have a crew aboard it to man the guns and radar and even perhaps flares and illuminator for night time flight, and well an excellent pilot will be needed for night time flying that is for sure, but the night maps maybe lit up by lights below on ground and moon light making visability on night maps not completely dark. 

CptDirty   

I think it also depends on the flight mechanics itself. If it's anywhere near Battlefield in terms of simplicity then little to no "qualifications" would be needed. On the other hand if flying mechanics are advanced similarly to Arma3's AFM then it warrants some sort of player qualification prior to use. You know...to avoid catastrophic situations. 

-MG   
24 minutes ago, CptDirty said:

I think it also depends on the flight mechanics itself. If it's anywhere near Battlefield in terms of simplicity then little to no "qualifications" would be needed. On the other hand if flying mechanics are advanced similarly to Arma3's AFM then it warrants some sort of player qualification prior to use. You know...to avoid catastrophic situations. 

Thanks for repeating what i said :P