jellyswim

Some ideas coming from a rising storm player...

4 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Thank you for your kind words lol...

Squad is a great FPS game that has several key features that separate it from a vast sea of other garbage games. That said, I only dump on things I see that are diluting and diverting the focus away from those particular things thus taking away the fun factor and also killing it's popularity.

Things like realism killing nanny features, overly restrictive weapons and loadout choices, vague supplemental rules and abusive admins to name a few.

Zylfrax791, You nailed it man and I totally agree with you. I simply do not want squad to be ruined and turned into another RS2, or call of duty.

We want "SQUAD" to be SQUAD!" people like myself, and others have been waiting decades for a game like SQUAD.

I'm not trying to be mean or toxic. I respect all of your opinions and I just gave you mine because I love squad with a passion

On 9/6/2017 at 3:27 PM, spookyAUS said:

this thread is turning toxic.

INBL

Lol yes it is

On 9/1/2017 at 10:27 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

So players are completely incapable of counting the rounds they've shot from a magazine and then subsequently how many mags they've used? Interesting.

YES, i am not playing count my bullets when i can just feel the weight.

I know what an empty mag feels like, and what a full mage feels like.

I can also feel that I am somewhere inbetween.

REALISM IS FOR THOSE WITHOUT CREATIVITY.

I wouldn't like to count my bullets nor have a stupid counter like call of duty, but I'd love just simple animations for checkin the chamber, mag, safety lever position etc

Long term RO player, loved RO1, RO2 and Rising Storm. However I recently bought Rising Storm 2 and hated it. The fact that the basic rifleman has at least an M16 or AK, just ruins the pace of the game. I always loved the fact that most players had a bolt-action. I know it is Vietnam, I just do not think that RO should be set after WW2 at all. Ruins the pace and turns it into any old shooter instead of a great unique one it used to be. 

I also agree that Squad is way different from RO or RS and the two should not be compared much, if at all. 

Edited by Roble

4 hours ago, Roble said:

Long term RO player, loved RO1, RO2 and Rising Storm. However I recently bought Rising Storm 2 and hated it. The fact that the basic rifleman has at least an M16 or AK, just ruins the pace of the game. I always loved the fact that most players had a bolt-action. I know it is Vietnam, I just do not think that RO should be set after WW2 at all. Ruins the pace and turns it into any old shooter instead of a great unique one it used to be. 

I also agree that Squad is way different from RO or RS and the two should not be compared much, if at all. 

Mind you, the same could be said of RO2. I too am a long time RO fan, and I was dissapointed that bolt actions became the exception rather than the rule. Seemed to be an abundance of semi-autos and sub machine guns, and I especially hated that higher ranked players could have pretty much unfettered access to enemy weaponry :/

1 hour ago, DaiaBu said:

Mind you, the same could be said of RO2. I too am a long time RO fan, and I was dissapointed that bolt actions became the exception rather than the rule. Seemed to be an abundance of semi-autos and sub machine guns, and I especially hated that higher ranked players could have pretty much unfettered access to enemy weaponry :/

And all the performance buffs. >:(

what i ideas could work from rising storm however that should certainly be applied to Squad would be off map supprt. Main armies should have Artillery and Fighter/Bomber support that they could call in.

to show examples of call in air support

Gunship

But to add air support.   A commander marks a target on map, Uses a command radio, Support comes in aprox 30 seconds, then then there is a duration of time before it can be used again

why not have an A-10 for us forces do a Strafing run? and / or a F16 options. To fly by &  drop a couple 500 Lbs Snake eyes or something? 

AC130 gunship also a valid aerial support asset.  especially seen lots of use in Insurgent wars.

Edited by kev2go

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:28 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

Pride has nothing to do with my perspectives on Squad. I personally want Squad to be wildly successful with the developers driving Ferrari's, eating caviar and drinking Dom Perignon whilst we have tons of full servers to frag on. 

Instead I see the popularity of Squad declining and most of the time when I can find a decent ping server to play on I'm faced with a litany of supplemental rules and power tripping teen admins that yell and scream over voice chat and roll maps when their team is ahead.

http://steamcharts.com/app/393380

The only thing toxic is the server environment that's turning off new players as well as causing veterans players to move on to other games. 

agreed.. interesting chart... I guess it could be correlated to new releases.. and free weekend.. we all have ideas, interests, likes dislikes, and every person that bought the game is entitled to that opinion.. toxic seems to be inherent in squad now, with all those keyboard warriors out there unable to form a sentence without hate, they will feel better about themselves by thinking that they belittle others when most of the time we are just laughing at them.

I and Zylfrax disagree on a few things but one thing we do agree on and that is to help make squad a great military fps with good realism and a decent community.. Many of the clans out there want the same and those that rage and rant and troll on forums..wont find much sympathy in clan servers .. but one thing that is definitely happening is that there is a dramatic drop off in the no. of players coming to the game and veteran players now holding off until v10... whilst I would not say its make or break it certainly needs to be a substantial update to keep many interested until we see more maps and vehicles.

2 hours ago, embecmom said:

agreed.. interesting chart... I guess it could be correlated to new releases.. and free weekend.. we all have ideas, interests, likes dislikes, and every person that bought the game is entitled to that opinion.. toxic seems to be inherent in squad now, with all those keyboard warriors out there unable to form a sentence without hate, they will feel better about themselves by thinking that they belittle others when most of the time we are just laughing at them.

I and Zylfrax disagree on a few things but one thing we do agree on and that is to help make squad a great military fps with good realism and a decent community.. Many of the clans out there want the same and those that rage and rant and troll on forums..wont find much sympathy in clan servers .. but one thing that is definitely happening is that there is a dramatic drop off in the no. of players coming to the game and veteran players now holding off until v10... whilst I would not say its make or break it certainly needs to be a substantial update to keep many interested until we see more maps and vehicles.

After playing Squad for over a year with 2000+ hours in the game I've come to the conclusion that OWI's strategy of straddling the fence between being a super realistic nerdy milsim vs. a tactical arcade style shooter doesn't really appeal to the core Steam demographic of teen to early 20's dudes with expenadle cash. Not sure why either but numbers don't lie. That said, it's probably time from a business standpoint to chose one or the other, take it that direction and market it as such otherwise eventually fade into oblivion like another teamwork based game that I achieved 5 star Supreme Commander in; ETQW but the master authentication server got shut down a few years back.

On 9/11/2017 at 3:17 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

After playing Squad for over a year with 2000+ hours in the game I've come to the conclusion that OWI's strategy of straddling the fence between being a super realistic nerdy milsim vs. a tactical arcade style shooter doesn't really appeal to the core Steam demographic of teen to early 20's dudes with expenadle cash.

Then what's like a half of Squad's playerbase consist of?

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, Assifuah said:

PUBG does a similar thing, but I'm not a fan of the general concept itself. I just learned it the hard way, and would like to learn these things for the sake of having to think of other aspects in Squad than just have the same thought process as every other shooter.

Just make sure you have plenty of space and position yourself properly. Not every single surface, window or opening should be open to shooting above or though. That's what makes Squad a little more than just a standard cookie cutter from map to map, everything behaves a little differently.

whilst nice not to be cookie cutter it creates issues where terrain/objects are at different heights... whether you are close or far away you still have limited ability to understand your LOS until firing, the use of cover is negated if you are having to shoot from a good distance behind it rather than resting up against it...it is usually only millimetres of a difference, so small its difficult to view but makes a massive difference in the use of cover and ultimately giving away position... so would be good to have some indication when next to an object on whether you have LOS whether that is raised  rifle movement/resting on object or icon showing no LOS ...

On 9/15/2017 at 7:19 PM, Peerun said:

Then what's like a half of Squad's playerbase consist of?

I'd say it's far more than half but perhaps we should wait to see these "numbers" he's talking about. 9_9

On 9/11/2017 at 8:17 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

After playing Squad for over a year with 2000+ hours in the game I've come to the conclusion that OWI's strategy of straddling the fence between being a super realistic nerdy milsim vs. a tactical arcade style shooter doesn't really appeal to the core Steam demographic of teen to early 20's dudes with expenadle cash. Not sure why either but numbers don't lie. That said, it's probably time from a business standpoint to chose one or the other, take it that direction and market it as such otherwise eventually fade into oblivion like another teamwork based game that I achieved 5 star Supreme Commander in; ETQW but the master authentication server got shut down a few years back.

This is a very narrow sighted opinion. Clearly the demographic they are going for, players that like the game-play of PR, has been buying and playing the game plenty. PR lasted 10+ years. Squad is going nowhere. We don't care about "the core Steam demographic of teen to early 20's dudes with expenadle cash" and I bet OWI doesn't either; they've stated many times they are in a fine position financially. They'll keep driving their numbers with sales, as they have consistently done.

Edited by DoctorKamikaze