jellyswim

Some ideas coming from a rising storm player...

4 hours ago, jellyswim said:

First off, if you're gonna be so condescending all the time, don't bother replying to this thread because it doesn't help anything. These forums are precisely for giving the devs feedback, and they've said countless times that they love to hear players' ideas. Sure you can disagree with my idea, but telling me not to "petition the devs" is just plain stupid. 

Also, bashing rising storm and saying it isn't as "fluid" as squad is just a ridiculous statement. I'm not saying you have to like rs2, but the fact that jump-crouching exists in squad should tell you all you need to know.

I love squad with all my being, but I understand it still has flaws which is why I'm on the forums, putting in my input. What you're essentially suggesting is absolute complacency in this game and that's not how games are improved. I get you don't think my idea is an improvement, and you made some valid points, but instead of just saying "no thats a bad idea stop posting on the forums" try giving some of your ideas.

I also think it's really funny how you think it's so bad someone was backblasting people on rs2 because you can do the exact same thing in squad. And you'll be able to kill people with shovels in squad, so hate to break it to ya, but squad isnt as serious as you like to imagine.

lol... Funny because if you go back and read my rants you'd see I'm probably the biggest asshole and most vocal & abrasive critic of Squad that ever existed here. That said though, my "feedback" however has never crossed the line to a personal level against anybody on the OWI staff or other forum members which as outlined in the forum rules would be a serious violation and plus simply just plain rude. Regardless, my perspective is people bringing up other games here and doing the old liberal arts analyst trick of "comparison/contrast" should be advised to simply just go play the games they think Squad should be like instead of trolling here.

50 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Regardless, my perspective is people bringing up other games here and doing the old liberal arts analyst trick of "comparison/contrast" should be advised to simply just go play the games they think Squad should be like instead of trolling here.

This is exactly what im talking about. I made a valid suggestion that I thought would improve the game, and you call it "trolling". You don't have to agree with it, but you're discarding everything I say like I shouldn't be able to make suggestions that aren't to your liking, which is very hypocritical of you.

Unless squad is literally the only game you play, you'll see every game has things you like and things you don't, and besides, I'm not really comparing the two. You actually did that yourself. I just had an idea for something that is like to see that's from another game. I don't see why it's a bad thing to compare games because not one of them is perfect and different devs think differently. 

I want to see squad be the best it can be, and other developers have some good ideas. I know you don't agree with this specific one, but completely denying any outside influence is not conducive to a fluid developement.

And what you said about "go play the games they think squad should be"... I love squad the way it is, and I want to see it get better, but I don't want it to "turn into rs2 because that game is better", I just saw a flaw that happens occasionally, and suggested that it could be fixed with a function from another game. 

In any case it's clear that you disapprove of my suggestion but more importantly, my referencing of an "inferior game" which for some reason shouldnt be allowed... so I'm just going to stop replying to you. 

embecmom   

whilst I don't like the mechanic showing another icon on screen,  I will agree with you re cover and rifle mechanics.. it is unbelievably painful at the moment... more so with the LMG which hopefully will be alleviated when the bipod comes in.. as Ive said before Insurgency and DOI do it in an interesting way by lifting the barrel up when it is blocked so you know you don't have LOS.  From the new animations in Squad from August.. you can still see the rifles clipping the scenery and buildings ... which is disappointing.

and to be honest Zyl not sure we can complain about bringing up other games when clearly Squad is influenced and uses many of the mechanics from PR.. so why not other games?

Edited by embecmom
spelling!

Peerun   

Here you can see at 4:20 the new weapon lowering feature, which lowers the gun after a while of not aiming it. If they could make that happen on collision also it'd either
1. solve this issue
2. be even more annoying
Depends how they'd do it if it's feasible. If it isn't feasible then having an icon that would get triggered through the same system is probably a moot point.

Frinz   

I loved the system in escape from tarkov, when you are too close to a wall / an object, you character will rise his weapon, so it wont collide (or glitch) with saud wall/object. This system can also be used to balance guns, full length battle rifles like the g3 are much harder to use in close quarters than for example the ppsh

L0cation   
4 hours ago, Frinz said:

I loved the system in escape from tarkov, when you are too close to a wall / an object, you character will rise his weapon, so it wont collide (or glitch) with saud wall/object. This system can also be used to balance guns, full length battle rifles like the g3 are much harder to use in close quarters than for example the ppsh

Yea i've suggested that too , for me its a very improtant feature that we need in order to make weapons as different from one another as we can ( maybe even use real life qualities of weapons ) , and the Auto weapon raising like in battlefield 4 and escape from tarkov are awsome and i think are not so difficult to make so we have to bring it to the dev attention as much as possible 

5 hours ago, Frinz said:

Yeah I think thats a great idea honestly

Bash   

No icons.  

We don't have a pop-up icon for this IRL.

Doesn't make sense to put an icon, it should be an animation solution in regards to character movement, not more HUD.  

DaiaBu   
On 04/09/2017 at 5:40 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

Regardless, my perspective is people bringing up other games here and doing the old liberal arts analyst trick of "comparison/contrast" should be advised to simply just go play the games they think Squad should be like instead of trolling here.

Suggesting a minor feature that happens to be in another game, simply in an effort to help refine and improve Squad, is not the same as saying that Squad should be like that game. I don't really see what's wrong with drawing on your experience with other, similar games to offer feedback and suggestions on this one, and I think new members shouldn't be made to feel that they are considered "trolling" simply for trying to engage with the community. 

You might not like RS2, and as a long time fan of the franchise, I would agree that it has it's drawbacks. But it is also superior to Squad in certain aspects (yes, even "realism"), and it's perfectly understandable that the two games would share a fanbase. I think that's a good thing, and telling anyone who dares to suggest that perhaps one game could learn some things from the other that they should just go play the former instead of engaging on this forum would be detrimental to the community as a whole. 

Back to the OP - I see where the suggestion is coming from, and I too have encountered lots of frustrations where it seems like my barrel is clear of the object in front of me, only to find out it isn't when firing. Had it fairly recently where I ran up to the corner of a wall and leaned around as I brought up my sights. The barrel looked to be clear and I fired, but it it wasn't. So all I did was draw attention to myself and get killed. As someone else said, the only sense we have in game are audio/visual, and these aren't always reliable when taking into account the geometry of the game world, so assistance in this regard would be helpful. But as others have said, I would prefer not to see this done via an HUD element - I'm hoping the new "weapon lowering" animation will solve the situation entirely, 

12 hours ago, Bash said:

No icons.  

We don't have a pop-up icon for this IRL.

Doesn't make sense to put an icon, it should be an animation solution in regards to character movement, not more HUD.  

Exactly. Nanny features aren't needed in Squad. 

Elirah   

Whats interesting in this discussion:

A little dot that is visible only when you actually collide with something, which could also be somewhere where you have to look at like the ammo count or something, is "too much" hud elements.

Then there are the medic hud elements, which pop up in a 3d environment, completely intrusive to the eyes, and something you even dont need, as communication would tell all the information you get from that hud element.

Then, there are the nametags, also an information you get from learning the uniforms, looking at your map, communication with teammates, but is always visible on even really long distances. 

If you argue that the information about hitting a wall is something you should learn, then there is only one hud element that is actually really hard to learn, the compass, and thus the only hud element allowed to stay.

I think lowering the weapon when it touches a wall is the best option for this game.

Peerun   
1 hour ago, Elirah said:

Whats interesting in this discussion:

A little dot that is visible only when you actually collide with something, which could also be somewhere where you have to look at like the ammo count or something, is "too much" hud elements.

Then there are the medic hud elements, which pop up in a 3d environment, completely intrusive to the eyes, and something you even dont need, as communication would tell all the information you get from that hud element.

Then, there are the nametags, also an information you get from learning the uniforms, looking at your map, communication with teammates, but is always visible on even really long distances. 

If you argue that the information about hitting a wall is something you should learn, then there is only one hud element that is actually really hard to learn, the compass, and thus the only hud element allowed to stay.

I think lowering the weapon when it touches a wall is the best option for this game.

What's intereresting in your post:
A little dot that is visible only when you actually collide with something, which could also be somewhere where you have to look like the ammo count or something is not at all the subject of the OP.
Then there are the medic hud elements, which are also not a subject of this thread.
Then there are nametags, which let you know who is who, so you can call them by their nickname.

Woolsock   

Don't need a system to tell you if you're going to hit a object and not your target. In reality you shot into the ground a lot more than you think.

As for number of mags and stuff like that you don't usually have to look to check. You run you hand on the outside of pouches to guesstimate what you have. Same with what position your selector is in. It's done by feel so a icon on the screen is the best solution I can figure.

Elirah   
10 hours ago, Peerun said:

A little dot that is visible only when you actually collide with something, which could also be somewhere where you have to look like the ammo count or something is not at all the subject of the OP.
Then there are the medic hud elements, which are also not a subject of this thread.
Then there are nametags, which let you know who is who, so you can call them by their nickname.

You are right, subject was an opaque ICON (which also could be just a little dot) that is visible on the screen when colliding with an object.

I know the others are not subject of the thread, I never said that.

I think you didnt even read what i was writing, so please try to understand what i was saying before derailing my comment.

Peerun   

While an opaque icon(just under the center of the screen) is the subject of the thread, a little dot is not the subject of scrutiny of "too much HUD", but instead "too much useless HUD".

On 9/4/2017 at 0:40 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

lol... Funny because if you go back and read my rants you'd see I'm probably the biggest asshole and most vocal & abrasive critic of Squad that ever existed here. That said though, my "feedback" however has never crossed the line to a personal level against anybody on the OWI staff or other forum members which as outlined in the forum rules would be a serious violation and plus simply just plain rude. Regardless, my perspective is people bringing up other games here and doing the old liberal arts analyst trick of "comparison/contrast" should be advised to simply just go play the games they think Squad should be like instead of trolling here.

I was about to say, as someone who's only been on the forums the last month really, all of Zylfrax's post are dumping on things lol - he's an angry soul I guess, he definitely looks intimidating in the pic :P

It's funny to me how "up-in-arms" everyone gets about these subjects, but tis the nature of gaming forums these days...maybe it was always this way lol. At times it seems to go past the line imo, but I guess it shows the passion in the Squad community - which is a good thing I think.

I too believe there should be something in game that alerts you that, for example, you can't actually shoot out a window you're looking out even though it seems perfectly suitable for shooting out. Whether that's an opaque icon or an in-game action that happens (my preferred choice), knowing that you're about to hit the window sill. I too find it ironic how angry people get about things that make the game less-realistic, yet completely accept other elements that are so blatantly unrealistic it's almost laughable. In the end, it's just a game. I love this game, I play it every freakin night now lol. I think it's a great middle ground from games like Arma 3 (which I played for years in a realism unit) and games like RS2:V imo.

That being said, I don't think it's wrong for the OP to post his thoughts about the game, he seems to love the game and it's just his opinion, obviously the devs will do whatever they want to do in the end. I also don't think it's wrong to bring up other aspects of the game that do not denote "realism" either, as those are examples of what can be done here as well. IE: at some point, the devs wanted to show medics that they were "healing" an injured teammate. They came up with the large on-screen icon that turns from red to green as the player is healed. This is not realistic (I know I know @Peerun, you hate this comparison, but it's just my opinion), but it is useful to both players and is now just accepted as part of the game. Whatever the devs decide for this would be the same. No one is going to quit Squad bc there's now an on-screen opaque icon that shows you your gun is hitting a wall, if they do decide to use that tact. Again, I do not prefer that to be the solution, I just would accept whatever the devs decide bc I love this game, and something as small as that won't ruin the game for me.   

Anyway, just my thoughts - thanks 

Peerun   
1 hour ago, Kernel Panic said:

I too believe there should be something in game that alerts you that, for example, you can't actually shoot out a window you're looking out even though it seems perfectly suitable for shooting out.

No it doesn't. If it isn't suitable your gun will be clipping through it. Just because there are 3 objects in the game that have a ****ed collision doesn't mean there needs to be a HUD element that tells you the same thing as looking at the position of the gun in relation to any ingame object.
I say fix the assets instead.
This is how you get games that are utter trashpiles. You find a bug in the game or bad design and instead of fixing the issue you design around the flaw.

4 minutes ago, Peerun said:

No it doesn't. If it isn't suitable your gun will be clipping through it. Just because there are 3 objects in the game that have a ****ed collision doesn't mean there needs to be a HUD element that tells you the same thing as looking at the position of the gun in relation to any ingame object.
I say fix the assets instead.
This is how you get games that are utter trashpiles. You find a bug in the game or bad design and instead of fixing the issue you design around the flaw.

Hey man, I value your opinion and there's no need to be so hostile. It is just my opinion, hence why I started my sentence with "I too believe..."

You think one thing, I think another. The world will keep spinning and Squad will go on. It's ok buddy, it'll be ok...I promise @Peerun, it's ok to have different opinions. 

Anyway, I'm dropping this - it turns ugly way too fast for me. I hope all is well, and hop to see all of you on the servers of Squad for a long time! 

Peerun   

I sure hope I didn't offend you. Do you always read other people's posts on the internet in a loud voice with a hostile expression on your face and looking in the mirror?
I too believe(<ha, get it?) it's ok to have different opinions. It's just a shame that your opinion is that, if a person uses a word like "****ed" to describe a thing that doesn't even really exist in the physical world, you feel it is your duty to drop from the conversation and deem it ugly.
But here's an actual ad hominem as a goodbye gift. I think that everything you wrote was quite ugly. Cheers.

4 hours ago, Kernel Panic said:

I was about to say, as someone who's only been on the forums the last month really, all of Zylfrax's post are dumping on things lol - he's an angry soul I guess, he definitely looks intimidating in the pic :P

Thank you for your kind words lol...

Squad is a great FPS game that has several key features that separate it from a vast sea of other garbage games. That said, I only dump on things I see that are diluting and diverting the focus away from those particular things thus taking away the fun factor and also killing it's popularity.

Things like realism killing nanny features, overly restrictive weapons and loadout choices, vague supplemental rules and abusive admins to name a few.

Peerun   
55 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Thank you for your kind words lol...

Squad is a great FPS game that has several key features that separate it from a vast sea of other garbage games. That said, I only dump on things I see that are diluting and diverting the focus away from those particular things thus taking away the fun factor and also killing it's popularity.

Things like realism killing nanny features, overly restrictive weapons and loadout choices, vague supplemental rules and abusive admins to name a few.

Well you must be pretty proud of yourself.

22 minutes ago, Peerun said:

Well you must be pretty proud of yourself.

Pride has nothing to do with my perspectives on Squad. I personally want Squad to be wildly successful with the developers driving Ferrari's, eating caviar and drinking Dom Perignon whilst we have tons of full servers to frag on. 

Instead I see the popularity of Squad declining and most of the time when I can find a decent ping server to play on I'm faced with a litany of supplemental rules and power tripping teen admins that yell and scream over voice chat and roll maps when their team is ahead.

http://steamcharts.com/app/393380

2 minutes ago, spookyAUS said:

this thread is turning toxic.

INBL

The only thing toxic is the server environment that's turning off new players as well as causing veterans players to move on to other games.