jellyswim

Some ideas coming from a rising storm player...

Auto weapon resting / blocking for nearby objects i.e. window frames, sandbags, walls. If you can't put your weapon on target then you are restricted. Get rid of weapons clipping into objects. If you are far enough away from a blocking object that your weapon doesn't clip it but it still blocks bullet to target travel then tough. No HUD indicator please. You'll need to learn that bullets don't originate from the sight itself.

Peerun   
On 8/31/2017 at 2:49 PM, Stom said:

I've had many instances of getting the jump on an enemy or finding a place I think would be a perfect firing position blocked by the invisible collision mesh of a ruined wall or rock.

Can you give a specific example? I've never had that happen and I have over 1500 hours in the game, so I think I would've noticed.

3 minutes ago, Peerun said:

Can you give a specific example? I've never had that happen and I have over 1500 hours in the game, so I think I would've noticed.

On one of the low walled stepped balconies on Kohan I could see an enemy lying 40m away peeking at team mates readying to take them out. Moved as close to the wall as I could, sighted their head for the quick kill, bang hit the wall. Had to take the chance it would get blocked as time was of the essence but I ended up giving up the element of surprise as I had to reposition to make the shot. If I couldn't of sighted them up due to the close wall I would of jumped the wall instead and kept my unseen advantage but left the extra protection the wall gave to make the kill.

Stom   
4 hours ago, Peerun said:

There's a certain cinder block wall with a broken portion in the top of it that I've had it happen with a few times. Also there's some rocks by the Northern road in Sumari that I've had it happen with recently that gave me the reason to write the original comment. 

There's a few other assets I've had too but I can't remember specifics at the moment.

3 hours ago, Peerun said:

low walled stepped balconies

Kohan

Is this a riddle?

No, not asking you to find it either. Just trying to describe one of many similar locations on that map. 

Peerun   
1 hour ago, Major Trouble said:

No, not asking you to find it either. Just trying to describe one of many similar locations on that map. 

Well I think this is exactly the type of thing that when you find you should post in one of the map feedback threads, however I am afraid you won't find one for Kohan since the map doesn't exist.

Draco   
42 minutes ago, Peerun said:

Well I think this is exactly the type of thing that when you find you should post in one of the map feedback threads, however I am afraid you won't find one for Kohan since the map doesn't exist.

He either meant Kokan or Kohat, who knows :P

With the removal of true-first-person, this could certainly be a nice aid for when close to objects. The ultimate solution would be for your characters to automatically adjust so that you're always pointing over or under something when close, but i highly doubt we'd ever get that.

Rock   

What our good pal Stom means is the following:

Example_Of_Collsion_Box.jpg

When you try to place your barrel above one of the rocks on the wall, sometimes you won't be able to shoot due to the fact that the collision box blocks the projectile. As the collision box MUST maintain to be low quality and low polygon for performances' sake, you can't easily adjust the collision box to cover up all of the model and nothing else. This means that an issue like this can't be easily fixed or just unfixable at all really as you don't want to 'de-optimize' your collisions for the sake of a small space you can collide with but shouldn't in reality, which makes sense. You also don't want to resize the collision box to be smaller so it only covers 'most' of the model and the very little parts on the top not covered because you will be able to use that to your advantage and give you slightly more concealment whilst able to shoot through a wall lol.

Honestly I don't mind the little barrel icon and primarily because I think his reasoning is plausible. To add, Squad IS trying to add some arcade elements along with realism ones if you keep the Squad FAQ and most Squad developers' comments in mind. Stuff like the magazine count and amount icons and whatnot would likely stay.

Edited by Rock

CptDirty   

It does suck to have a GL you're about to shoot from a window then hear the little *ping* of the round hitting the rail....But I do agree with the argument that the less stuff on the screen the better. People will just have to get used to shooting from proper stances and have sufficient space between the barrel and the cover for the projectile to reach target. 

-MG   
21 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

So players are completely incapable of counting the rounds they've shot from a magazine and then subsequently how many mags they've used? Interesting.

How to recognize those who are not conservative and mindful of their ammo ?......ammo fob. 

images.png

17 hours ago, Peerun said:

Haha you're correct. If should read Kokan.

16 hours ago, Rock said:

What our good pal Major Trouble means is the following:

Clip......

It wasn't like that really. I was shooting down to my target about 40m away from behind a low wall on a platform out side a doorway.  The height of the wall was such that if shooting horizontally I would have no problem shooting over it. There were stairs up to the doorway and the platform would of been about 2m higher than ground level. My target was also prone so increasing the angle of depression I needed for the quick headshot. I had moved as close to the wall as possible to eliminate the chance I would be clipping. The clear sight view of my targets head and haste required lead me to think I would be able to make the shot count. Now I don't want a HUD indicator to say my shot is block I just want the game to prevent me from putting my gun on target in the first place.

elerik   

why lots of people like this game .... and why squad is unique? Minimum HUD is one of those things. And that stance icon and stamina icon is imo tooo much. Its small details but exact this detail create this game ... The Game. PR is fathermother of Squad and I hope that squad will stay with it. Why another icon instead of train observation and brain skills. Because its pretty easy to not just start shooting and find good position to shoot without those "problems" 

yes its happen. your RPG hit frame of window and not blow. Or your GL hit micromilimetr invisible dirt and not blow. And ? ... hey today they found 1,5 ton unexplosivved bomb in middle of Frankfurt from ww2. sometime its simple. It should not happen. Lets say. Its fate. And it works in game like Squad as well.  

Rock   
2 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

-snip-

Oops, I actually meant Stom because of his collision mesh explanation. I can't read anymore.

Stom   
20 hours ago, Rock said:

What our good pal Stom means is the following:

When you try to place your barrel above one of the rocks on the wall, sometimes you won't be able to shoot due to the fact that the collision box blocks the projectile. As the collision box MUST maintain to be low quality and low polygon for performances' sake, you can't easily adjust the collision box to cover up all of the model and nothing else. This means that an issue like this can't be easily fixed or just unfixable at all really as you don't want to 'de-optimize' your collisions for the sake of a small space you can collide with but shouldn't in reality, which makes sense. You also don't want to resize the collision box to be smaller so it only covers 'most' of the model and the very little parts on the top not covered because you will be able to use that to your advantage and give you slightly more concealment whilst able to shoot through a wall lol.

That isn't actually the wall I meant but it does happen with that one too. Thanks for going a bit more in depth with the explanation too, I should have originally.

1 hour ago, elerik said:

why lots of people like this game .... and why squad is unique? Minimum HUD is one of those things. And that stance icon and stamina icon is imo tooo much. Its small details but exact this detail create this game ... The Game. PR is fathermother of Squad and I hope that squad will stay with it. Why another icon instead of train observation and brain skills. Because its pretty easy to not just start shooting and find good position to shoot without those "problems" 

Even though I like it, the minimal HUD has very little to do with why I like Squad. I like it for the gameplay and have found situations where the gameplay becomes frustrating because what I perceive to be a clear hole in a wall or window actually has a collision box running through it which stops my bullets in thin air. You are right that I could take the time to learn the collision box of every object in the game and adjust my playstyle around those objects but that just sounds like a pain in the arse.

Personally, I find this issue, when it happens, takes me out of the experience far more than a tiny icon that would occasionally pops up in the bottom right but that's just my opinion, man.

I am a proponent of adding more HUD icons only if they could help the player embody the character they're playing and convey the senses that we as players are lacking. I don't want a mini-map, a killfeed or a numbered ammo counter. However, what I do like is the icon that tells me the general weight and amount of magazines on my character because I can't feel them as the player. I like the stance indicator because sometimes in the heat of battle I forget what key I pressed last and it means I only have to glance to the bottom right to know what my character's body is doing.

If you really hate the HUD that much I would fully support the devs if they wanted to add some options so you can disable them but for me a few more tiny HUD icons does not ruin my experience, they enhance it by conveying more of my characters senses to me.

The specific icon for a barrel being blocked wouldn't be necessary if we got dynamic weapon lowering at some point and I agree would be better without it because I don't want unnecessary HUD icons. However, if for whatever reason we couldn't get dynamic weapon lowering in this context I would love an icon because I think it would be helpful.

I played my copy of RS2: V that I forgot I had again last night after watching the vid where the guy runs around pickaxing and rpg backblasting people to death. That's how unmemorable that game is. And I simply also hate it because its like Looney Tunes combined with Apocalypse Now and Platoon. The movement and gunplay is clunky and stilted compared to the organic and fluid motion in Squad. Too bad I forgot to refund it after the first 10 minutes.

So yeah if you're constantly shooting walls in Squad then my advice would be stop spending so much time behind them and not petition the devs to program a widget for you.

LugNut   

Once I figured out that you had to be careful about barrel placement, I don't have issues any longer about shooting into the ground or the tops of walls. If we get weapon reasting, or active collision response, great, if not, I can deal. We don't need an icon. If there are large invisible collision meshes in specific areas, those are map issues. 

The most frustrating thing for me are shooting through broken glass and window pane dividers, those seem to be wonky. 

6 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I played my copy of RS2: V that I forgot I had again last night after watching the vid where the guy runs around pickaxing and rpg backblasting people to death. That's how unmemorable that game is. And I simply also hate it because its like Looney Tunes combined with Apocalypse Now and Platoon. The movement and gunplay is clunky and stilted compared to the organic and fluid motion in Squad. Too bad I forgot to refund it after the first 10 minutes.

So yeah if you're constantly shooting walls in Squad then my advice would be stop spending so much time behind them and not petition the devs to program a widget for you.

First off, if you're gonna be so condescending all the time, don't bother replying to this thread because it doesn't help anything. These forums are precisely for giving the devs feedback, and they've said countless times that they love to hear players' ideas. Sure you can disagree with my idea, but telling me not to "petition the devs" is just plain stupid. 

Also, bashing rising storm and saying it isn't as "fluid" as squad is just a ridiculous statement. I'm not saying you have to like rs2, but the fact that jump-crouching exists in squad should tell you all you need to know.

I love squad with all my being, but I understand it still has flaws which is why I'm on the forums, putting in my input. What you're essentially suggesting is absolute complacency in this game and that's not how games are improved. I get you don't think my idea is an improvement, and you made some valid points, but instead of just saying "no thats a bad idea stop posting on the forums" try giving some of your ideas.

I also think it's really funny how you think it's so bad someone was backblasting people on rs2 because you can do the exact same thing in squad. And you'll be able to kill people with shovels in squad, so hate to break it to ya, but squad isnt as serious as you like to imagine.

Edited by jellyswim
Typo

I can easily tell if my bullets are hitting a rock wall when I am crouched behind it, It's not that damn hard to figure it out and avoid doing it !!!

1 hour ago, Devastation said:

I can easily tell if my bullets are hitting a rock wall when I am crouched behind it, It's not that damn hard to figure it out and avoid doing it !!!

Yeah I agree it's not hard to do, and I don't really suffer from it eitger, but it can still be a nuisance, and above that, it's something that's very unlikely to happen irl.

Stom   
2 hours ago, Devastation said:

I can also see if my barrel is in a position where it would hit a rock's surface but that isn't the issue. The issue is the collision box extends beyond the visual model of the rock and that's what my barrel is hitting, which just looks like thin air.

LugNut   
2 hours ago, jellyswim said:

First off, if you're gonna be so condescending all the time, don't bother replying to this thread because it doesn't help anything. These forums are precisely for giving the devs feedback, and they've said countless times that they love to hear players' ideas. Sure you can disagree with my idea, but telling me not to "petition the devs" is just plain stupid. 

Also, bashing rising storm and saying it isn't as "fluid" as squad is just a ridiculous statement. I'm not saying you have to like rs2, but the fact that jump-crouching exists in squad should tell you all you need to know.

I love squad with all my being, but I understand it still has flaws which is why I'm on the forums, putting in my input. What you're essentially suggesting is absolute complacency in this game and that's not how games are improved. I get you don't think my idea is an improvement, and you made some valid points, but instead of just saying "no thats a bad idea stop posting on the forums" try giving some of your ideas.

I also think it's really funny how you think it's so bad someone was backblasting people on rs2 because you can do the exact same thing in squad. And you'll be able to kill people with shovels in squad, so hate to break it to ya, but squad isnt as serious as you like to imagine.

Interestingly, I was a prealpha and alpha tester for RS2, and a number of their devs had played a good bit of Squad, which was one reason you see some squad like features in RS2 that weren't in RS/RO2. I also nagged them relentlessly B|