[TDP] Wilson

New Rig Incoming

So I've been playing squad for awhile on my Alienware Steam Machine running Windows 10. Averaging around 30-40 fps give or take with low settings. Finally in a position to pick up a new rig. But before I make a mistake I want to get some feedback on my options. I'm no professional at building computers or components in general and would prefer to buy one already made just to give you some insight about where my mind is.  And to add I do prefer laptops due to portability with work but I'm not against a desktop if it is considered a better value. I appreciate any feedback you have for me. Thanks! Here goes:

Laptop 1:

2.5 ghz i5 7th gen

4gb Nvidia gtx 1050 Ti

8gb ram

SSD hdd

Laptop 2: 

2.5 ghz i5 7th gen

4gb Nvidia gtx 1050

8gb ram

Hybrid hdd

Laptop 3: (most expensive option)

2.8 ghz i7 7th gen

4gb GDDR2 Nvidia gtx 1050 Ti

8gb ram

SSD hdd and normal hdd 

Desktop 1: (least expensive option)

3 ghz i5 7th gen

3gb GDDR2 Nvidia gtx 1060

8gb ram

normal hdd 

Desktop 2:

3.6ghz i7 7th gen

3gb Nvidia gtx 1060

16gb ram

SSD and normal hdd

What's your budget? I suggest waiting for more optimization updates, upgrading for an alpha game is stupid.

Ban,

Not doing upgrade solely for Squad. (Play BF, Civ, etc. too). But squad is my primary game overall. I can comfortably run 600-1000$. 

Skip the laptops as I've found they're basically obsolete the day you buy them even if they're for "gaming" and you can't upgrade the video card.

Well, with a $600-$1000 budget, I'm not sure how you'll get desktop #2, and I 100% agree with Zylfrax791 point. I hate laptops for hardware-intensive games like Squad, mainly due to the heat issues and the upgrade-ability options you don't have. Out of those options, I'd go desktop #2 if you have the money, and desktop #1 if you don't. 

Good copy on that. Yea it's a tough balance. Because I would like to be able to take my rig with me but I do realize the desktop offers more upgrade opportunities. 

Does your budget include a monitor, keyboard, mouse? If you have neither of these you're pretty limited at this budget.

Something like this would be best value overall at the moment. Again, I'd at least wait for V10 to see the improvements. You could also get an i5 and Z270 instead but I wouldn't recommend a 4 thread CPU with no viable upgrade path.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($197.39 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($130.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.38 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card  ($274.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $949.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-30 14:02 EDT-0400

This is just a sample build, research exact motherboard, GPU model, case and power supply. Rest is as good as it gets.
Edited by banOkay

Hmmm only question I would have is in regards to the AMD processor. I had a Asus ROG rig with an AMD processor, SSD, and nice graphics card and literally never got over 20ish fps prior to going to an Intel based chipset. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, [TDP] Wilson said:

Hmmm only question I would have is in regards to the AMD processor. I had a Asus ROG rig with an AMD processor, SSD, and nice graphics card and literally never got over 20ish fps prior to going to an Intel based chipset. Thoughts?

I'm guessing you had an older iterations which had crap single core performance. Pair that with Squad - an unoptimized game that is severely bottlenecked by single core performance and that's what you get. Ryzen, new AMD architecture improved on this by 45%. Still behind latest Intel K models in this regard though.

Research this on your own, look at actual benchmarks from proper reviewers, look at R5 vs i5 performance, upgrade options, RAM scaling, temperatures...

I hear you. However I'm curious what is your take personally? How has your experience on squad

been with AMD? If I'm hearing much better I am strongly encouraged 

Also with the core issue in mind what do you think about the Pentium G4560? Does it pack enough punch shouldered with a nice video card to play squad successfully? Thanks! 

I don't have AMD, I have i7-6700k at 4.5 Ghz averaging at about 60 fps... Squad is not a good measure of performance, pay $1000 for a PC and get 50 fps, or pay $2500 and get 80 fps, terrible investment. That's why I think you should wait until some optimization happens before making a purchase.

Laptops can actually be more expensive and give off less performance than a desktop. Especially one that you build yourself. I know you aren't a tech guru, and neither am I. However, a little bit of research can go a long way.

Reddit has a few good subs for This, and www.pcpartpicker.com helps too. 

Here's basically what I bought back in December

I built my own rig for around $750 on because of some sales. (Only thing I didn't buy was a headset and mouse)

GTX (Got this about 20% cheaper since I got from a friend and ram as well).

Check other sites like www.camelcamelcamel.com  for comparing Amazon prices.

Don't forget to check ebay for steal deals too

Simple YouTube videos will help you with building your own rig should you choose to do so. 

Can run nearly everything on at least max, if not ultra. I turn down squad settings with things like AA and other small things until they work on optimization a bit more

Edited by FeatherSton3

OP, 

The main reason you should consider a laptop for intense gaming App's is if you MUST have a mobile system.

Assuming you don't and therefore select a desktop then this is a sensible performance/value build for Squad as it is right now.

CPU i5 K version, overclocked
RAM 16GB fast RAM
GPU 1060 6GB
SSD

You don't 'have' to buy latest generation, last gen second hand will server you well and deliver even more value.

I can't comment on AMD gear but people say AMD Ryzen CPU's are very good. Personally I would stick with Intel and Nvidia for this build and see whats what in a couple of years.

Seriously want to thank everyone that provided me some feedback. Definitely considering either building my own or looking around secondhand. Thanks everyone! 

Best suggestion as wroth by BanOkay is to wait for V10 and see if and how good devs can solve the current singelthread bottleneck on CPU side.

If they can`t i would not invest in an Ryzen System when your main game is Squad.

When V10 will arive Intels new CoffeeLake CPUs will be on the marked.

The new I5 has 6 cores higher IPC and Higher clocks then a Ryzen and a compareable pricepoint.

17 minutes ago, moppel said:

Best suggestion as wroth by BanOkay is to wait for V10 and see if and how good devs can solve the current singelthread bottleneck on CPU side.

If they can`t i would not invest in an Ryzen System when your main game is Squad.

When V10 will arive Intels new CoffeeLake CPUs will be on the marked.

The new I5 has 6 cores higher IPC and Higher clocks then a Ryzen and a compareable pricepoint.

IPC and core, thread count yes, but info (rumors) so far say i7 will be coming in at $400+, add to that higher motherboard cost + a cooler and you get a huge price difference compared to $200.

Posted (edited)

I’m currently in a similiar position of Wilson. I’m owning at the moment an macbook pro 13 2015 with OS and windows on it, and i need to go to a fully windows laptop (/pc) due work, school, etc. 

I am looking at an aspire 7 with i7 8750H 2.2GHz to 4.1 MHz, 16GB RAM, GTX1050 4GB, 256 GB SSD + 1TB HDD.

i can’t afford to buy a desktop and a laptop at the moment. So i got 2 options: 

1. Sell macbook pro and buy the acer (and hopefully to play squad and others)

2. Keep the macbook pro and wait a year to buy an desktop.

Look forward for some suggestions.

Greets,

Bjarne

Edited by BjarneP