LaughingJack

[WIP] Dormant Volcano Isle (Vanilla & JO_mod)

Posted (edited)

UPDATED  03/12/17:

Pics in Flickr album.>   https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5xsNcK

Vid In Playlist.>    https://youtu.be/T2FsUufDp2M

Hi All,

I have a passion for Joint Operations (JO). It was honestly one of the best games i have ever had the good fortune to play. This has lead me to picking up Squad, as it is the only game going-anywhere that offered so much potential for modding, and has even allowed me to dream of playing something resembling JO again.

I will be doing a number of re-imagined JO Maps, following as closely to the originals where possible, and posting each in here with my progress and uploading a "Geo" and "Populated" versions. I hope that the maps i make will make their way into Squad-proper but even if they don't or are unpopular i am also creating these assets - as well as numerous others - for a hope-to-be-completed mod of Squad called, tentatively, Squad_JO, which will attempt to emulate the game-play and style of JO using Squad as a base game.

DV_24_updated minimap

Name: Dormant Volcano Isle (reimagined JointOps map).

Size: 1x1 kM approximate.

Teams: Blue v Red (Team1 v Team2).

Gameplay: AAS (PAAS) - Infantry with mostly light vehicle support and suggest no 'artillery' or 'cas', etc..

Download link: no - WIP.

Description: As described on the box - skirmish type AAS, only light vehicular support with possible (very limited) BTR level vehicle, emplaced weapons and defensive works at CP's, one each team owned CP's and two central (parrallel) CP's (4 in total - A, B, C, D).

Additional: this is my first proper map (Iceland became a 'testbed' map ;P ), and is fairly small i know but i think with the right restrictions in place it will be a bunch-o-fun to play. This will be the smallest i make - all the others will be 2k or greater

Screenshots/Media/Minimap: via my Flickr    -https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5xsNcK        *minimap is now up to date.

Constructive help and critique is more than welcome.

.LJ

Edited by LaughingJack
Update

Posted (edited)

Hi.

This giant rock on the beach looks very very foreign.

Here some tip for you which will help to fix that. This is always work with rocks, to make them looks more realistic...

1) First of all it is always good to make the ground a little bit rased around the big rocks, to complement them.

2) Secondly there should be some smaller rocks around the big one, cause you know - they love to crack.

3) And to finalize that you can also blend some rocky texture where will be rocks lying on the surface.

Xqn964f.jpg

In your particular case also there are water, so water can go around the rock because it really heavy, so it can hold the sand around it self and form some sort of an island...

Something like that may be:

tgbD3Ih.jpg

Also here some screenshots from Risen 3...

Pay attention to the curved line of the beach and some small islands that form pretty interesting composition...

2t6T2y9.jpg

SRbDbzs.jpg

You can try something like that too...

Edited by FishMan

Thanks @FishMan, yeah i still have to look at things like that a bit more critically (aesthetically). Rocks, and the like, are a real pain to get to look natural - i like your mock-up ;)

There is so much more aesthetic ability with new engines, compared to old ones like Novalogics' - i find 'filling in' the world with the miryad stuffs you need to make it look not-spartan (forest areas been the hardest - just looks bare and unloved) is really difficult simply because we are limited by density and variety we can get to actually work in-game.

Yay! High five! I love JO! The sandbag bunker thing you have there gave me an instant flashback to JO. ^_^

Omg mate!. One of my favourite maps in JointOps, can't wait to see another version of this classic map.

Also would love to see some tunnel networks,if like possible. ;)

UpToDate as of 26/11/17: Pics in Flickr album.>   https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5xsNcK

Hi all,

I have updated my album with new pics.

DV_18_Neutral_C

DV_23_view across B, C and A

I have now pretty much finished fitting out this map  ....  i think. And i have now ended up with a small library of materials, mat functions, grass types and assets which will be my base set for other mapping - which of course i will probably have to add to as i continue - which is very handy. I've also learned lots so far.

The Map is being set out for AAS, with one forward base owned by each team and two neutrals in between.

There are limited heavy vehicle assets at the Main's and medium vehicles at the owned Forward bases, with light vehicles at both Main's and Frwd's as well.

There are armouries (asset not finished yet) at each base which will be accessible by anyone from any team.

There are emplaced weapons at each base.

At this point i'm trying to work out how to end the round using the Ticket system - but that's a Mod thing and it's not working yet :(  - otherwise it appears to be working fine.

Edited by LaughingJack

In one of the screens I see this huge concrete round bunker. Than around it a round sandbag wall probably with an ammo crate.
Now would it be logic to use that bunker for defendin and pile some sanbag here and there in the windows and near doors.

@Drecks: yeah i may add some more deco's etc later on, but i'm just not sure if things like that will hinder players movement too much. As for the Bunkers, they are basically just a house for the spawn, armoury and zone center, so not super critical to defend it as such but i see your point :)

@Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX: cheers mate :)

Nice work!  Ever think of making the Volcano active?  like make lava pour out in areas of the map and have soldiers get burned alive if they get too close to the lava river beds?  Be fun... :)

what that might look like...

91edf201aca79c2e05748e8d6bf09ab6--big-is

Edited by XRobinson
pic

^True dat!. Actually Dormant Volcano never was an actual Volcano in JointOps *scratches his own nut* O.o

Just a giff for my mates downunder...

Edited by Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX

UPDATE 01/12/17: look around vid

soz bout the crappy quality  - still took 45 minutes to U/L :( (~450Mb).

cheers mate !

12 hours ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

*coughs* did I just see a "Humvee". :ph34r:

yeah ya did! ;)