Jimmyhilluk

Ping increase on activity

Posted (edited)

So I'm not technically minded or anything, but my PC was fairly up to scratch about a year or two ago, can post up specs if required (can't remember off the top of my head). 

But I'm getting god awful ping spikes (200+) and frame rate drops to zero whenever something graphically intensive happens, like incoming rounds, spawning in and vehicles moving. But is fine in every other situation (ping kicking around the 20s).

Have had this happening with Arma lately but not as bad, so I'm thinking 

Any thoughts?

Edited by Jimmyhilluk

Hello and welcome to Squad @Jimmyhilluk,

19 minutes ago, Jimmyhilluk said:

[...] I'm getting god awful ping spikes (200+) and frame rate drops to zero [...]

yep, your PC specs and some more info would be useful.

how are you connected to the router? (wifi or cable)
since when do you own Squad? since when do you have this problem?

Okay, so on further inspection, I found that my disc was maxing out all the time. Made a checklist the length of my arm of possible fixes for it, and fixed it. 

Still hasn't stopped the drops, but have found that the CPU usage drops to zero and drive maxes out again during these spikes.

A friend recommended updating my BIOS, so I could have a crack at that when I get in this evening if it's worth it?

They refused to use pak archives(it's just raw game assets) and now it's 20000+ files again. To stop FPS drops down to 0 when something happens, defragment by name(using O&O Defrag, for example) your Windows drive, drive where Squad is, and make sure that your page files aren't fragmented as well. I put my page file on the same drive with Squad, this way page file is physically closer to Squad, so actuator arm makes smaller moves when it needs to access page file.

Here's how my drive looks like few days after I defragmented drive where Squad and page file is:

6TFPs1Z.png

Brown block at the bottom is a page file. Squad is somewhere in the third part of blue block, pretty close to the page file.

Defragmenting HDD properly by name definitely helped me with freezes which started in 9.7 or 9.8, whenever they refused from using pak archives, so it became a fragmented disaster.

Edited by Skul

I have as well ping spikes since the latest 2 versions of Squad. My ping is jumping from 50 or 60 to 340/350 for few seconds and then drops back to normal.

It's not related to my PC or internet connection. All other games are running fine.

my specs are:

Intel i7 - 7700K @ 4.2GhZ

16GB RAM

GTX 1080 Ti

Running the latest nVidia driver 385.69.

3 hours ago, cplpro119 said:

I have as well ping spikes since the latest 2 versions of Squad. My ping is jumping from 50 or 60 to 340/350 for few seconds and then drops back to normal.

It's not related to my PC or internet connection. All other games are running fine.

my specs are:

Intel i7 - 7700K @ 4.2GhZ

16GB RAM

GTX 1080 Ti

Running the latest nVidia driver 385.69.

Squad calculates ping differently. It calculates client connection & server health into the overall displayed ping.

Example : Server close to or in your region says you have 90 ping, generally your ping should be 40 - 70 depending on location, it will add an additional 20+ to displayed ping due to adding server health into it. Now let's say a bunch of FOB's are in server and a tonne of deployables are built, server health(tickrate) drops down to 10, ping displayed spikes for multiple users in server to 150+, your client connection still remains in the 40 - 70 region but due to the server health dropping, it raises the ping displayed.

when this happens, you can tell its server related due to health icon for the server going from green to yellow to red, or multiple users pings are spiking up and down and the server starts to become laggy. Now if this isn't happening, it's most likely an issue on the users end.

8 hours ago, Dubs said:

Squad calculates ping differently. It calculates client connection & server health into the overall displayed ping.

Example : Server close to or in your region says you have 90 ping, generally your ping should be 40 - 70 depending on location, it will add an additional 20+ to displayed ping due to adding server health into it. Now let's say a bunch of FOB's are in server and a tonne of deployables are built, server health(tickrate) drops down to 10, ping displayed spikes for multiple users in server to 150+, your client connection still remains in the 40 - 70 region but due to the server health dropping, it raises the ping displayed.

when this happens, you can tell its server related due to health icon for the server going from green to yellow to red, or multiple users pings are spiking up and down and the server starts to become laggy. Now if this isn't happening, it's most likely an issue on the users end.

Understood, but these spikes are measurable, as I got a short lag for 1-2 seconds and I'm standing 2 or 3 meters anywhere else afterwards. 

As said, something must be wrong since the last 2 patches. I haven't had that issue before... 

The day before yesterday I was playing in the evening hours (CET) without any problem. I tried many servers...

I can imagine that the DEV team is working hard to fix all these issues, but for me it feels that the latest patches hit the game badly...

On 11/09/2017 at 12:45 PM, Skul said:

They refused to use pak archives(it's just raw game assets) and now it's 20000+ files again. To stop FPS drops down to 0 when something happens, defragment by name(using O&O Defrag, for example) your Windows drive, drive where Squad is, and make sure that your page files aren't fragmented as well. I put my page file on the same drive with Squad, this way page file is physically closer to Squad, so actuator arm makes smaller moves when it needs to access page file.

Here's how my drive looks like few days after I defragmented drive where Squad and page file is:

6TFPs1Z.png

Brown block at the bottom is a page file. Squad is somewhere in the third part of blue block, pretty close to the page file.

Defragmenting HDD properly by name definitely helped me with freezes which started in 9.7 or 9.8, whenever they refused from using pak archives, so it became a fragmented disaster.

Interestingly my PC has been defragging itself weekly using the default windows programme.

Downloaded the trial version of o&o and run a defrag: 50 days estimated run time.. good lord.

Yet to figure out how/what you mean by defrag by name.

10 hours ago, Dubs said:

Would a drop in server health account for the game coming to a complete stop for a second or two?

@Jimmyhilluk Do you have these issues in any other games or only in Squad? I can't believe that a solution proposal is to defrag a hard drive... For me its talking about the pie. 

My PC is 1 month old, and I have the ping spikes only in Squad... It must be a game related issue that needs some Dev attention. So hopefully it get's fixed with some of the next updates...

Posted (edited)

I have same problem to, i7-7700 o2.8 Ghz, 8 g  ram ddr4, gtx 1050

Edited by Mauglis