warrior6

LAT should not count towards fire support slots

warrior6   

I noticed that in almost every game, having 2 LATs is super crucial and most squad leaders will insist on having 2 of them. this makes it so that only 1 other fire support role can be chosen and so LMGs and recons don't see as much use. this is especially true when you play as militia and insurgents and you are fighting Russians or americans or when Russians and americans face eachother since the AT is required to counter vehicles. 

I would suggest that LATs be separate from fire support and be its own distinct category like medics are which would allow more squad members to utilize the other fire support roles without handicapping the squad by not having AT. 

Edited by warrior6

Rybec   
22 hours ago, Randall172 said:

how about just limit the number of LATs to one.

Not when it takes so many just to stop a BTR or Stryker. Without being able to disable them there is no other way to fight them than to try to coordinate with the other LAT to have a chance of stopping it.

I like the idea of making it not take up the support slots too. Something too essential to not choose is a bit of a bummer. Of course then we're moving away from having the majority of the squad being standard riflemen.

suds   

OP has an interesting point, i think there needs to be more flexibility throughout a game tho rather than kit changes,  players should be swapping kits to meet the current needs.

yes it might mean that a vehicle causes problems for the squad later but i think that adds to the game.

more ammo/resupply options would make this easier to manage. Ammo from certain vehicles was mentioned and confirmed.

Edited by suds

1 hour ago, Rybec said:

Not when it takes so many just to stop a BTR or Stryker. Without being able to disable them there is no other way to fight them than to try to coordinate with the other LAT to have a chance of stopping it.

I like the idea of making it not take up the support slots too. Something too essential to not choose is a bit of a bummer. Of course then we're moving away from having the majority of the squad being standard riflemen.

or you know get a vehicle to take it out, or static AT

only thing that needs to get buffed are techies, they just need even limited small arms protection and they'd be good counters

Edited by Randall172

40mmrain   
1 hour ago, Randall172 said:

or you know get a vehicle to take it out, or static AT

only thing that needs to get buffed are techies, they just need even limited small arms protection and they'd be good counters

techies, counter to a BTR or Stryker? Do you know the definition of the word? They are not and never should be counters. At best they can gang up on enemy armour, or severely outplay them. They are checks at best and "buffing" vehicles is a shitty way to approach balance in a game like Squad, when options like modifying the number of vehicles or tickets per side, and designing maps and game modes with asymmetry in mind.

Also, what static AT? The static SPG is crap. It has no way to elevate or depress, and is completely static. The proposition that you could find a position to put it that actually has a decent field of fire and isnt a death trap for the operator is next to zero.

embecmom   
13 hours ago, suds said:

OP has an interesting point, i think there needs to be more flexibility throughout a game tho rather than kit changes,  players should be swapping kits to meet the current needs.

yes it might mean that a vehicle causes problems for the squad later but i think that adds to the game.

more ammo/resupply options would make this easier to manage. Ammo from certain vehicles was mentioned and confirmed.

do you mean change at fob / spawn? or expand the ability to have more kits?...

I think supply crates/ammo bag (suggested on other threads) would be good addition but it needs resupplied itself at the fob / ammo crate and is carried by LMG .. or even medic to make people play the medic...

13 hours ago, 40mmrain said:

techies, counter to a BTR or Stryker? Do you know the definition of the word? They are not and never should be counters. At best they can gang up on enemy armour, or severely outplay them. They are checks at best and "buffing" vehicles is a shitty way to approach balance in a game like Squad, when options like modifying the number of vehicles or tickets per side, and designing maps and game modes with asymmetry in mind.

Also, what static AT? The static SPG is crap. It has no way to elevate or depress, and is completely static. The proposition that you could find a position to put it that actually has a decent field of fire and isnt a death trap for the operator is next to zero.

im specifically talking about the SPG techie, and static AT in general need a generous buff

Very interesting topic. Yea, you hardly ever have a time where the SL doesn't want 2 LATs - obviously depending on the map and faction you're playing against. One thing that I believe is already confirmed and is in the works that will increase the number of people using the ARs is a gun deployment feature. Once you have that, the AR imo will become all the more important to a squad

suds   

@embecmom  rather than change kit options from spawn just make it easier to change in the field.

Eg ammo/kit change on a BTR

vehicle dropped ammo crate

magical supply crate from the sky on request

Single use pickups from a "cache" or vehicle dropped ammo crate

ability to pick up and fire the LAT of a teammate (or even an enemy) you could make it a requested thing. "prise it from my dead fingers if you can".

Boldtaar   

I think when real tanks enters Squad we will see a rebalans on IFV/ABC and anti tank weapons.

I like to see a optional rifleman kit with one AT4 and more heavy anti tank kits options.

I like to see the MBT LAW and Carl Gustaf M3 as a heavy weapon kit.

Gatzby   

Really great feedback.

I'm curious to hear from any single LAT squads out there -- A) do they exist? B) How are your strats working?

Using the techies seems like a great unconventional approach, but may have some problems as noted, heh.

36 minutes ago, Gatzby said:

I'm curious to hear from any single LAT squads out there -- A) do they exist? B) How are your strats working?

As both LAT and SL A- the LAT squads exists and B-i've always tend to bring 2 LAT kit when facing Rus / USA faction since for destroy the mid and top tier APC (atm) for those faction 3 (4 for the stryker) rockets on target are mandatory. When facing the Militia / Ins 1 LAT is enough (the only APC that need more then 2 rockets in the BTR 80 for the militia).

By playing USA / Ru faction: As LAT i tend to approach togheter with another AT, coming from an usual direction and the striker togheter the same target ( "after 3 let's fire togheter 1...2...3") then hide and try to launch the last rockets. As SL i tend to split the squad in 2 fireteam, one LAT in each. As soon the vehicle aproach they can disengage and destro it. If i have only 1 LAT i tend to coordinate with the APC Squad (if ther's one), send the AT and tell to the APC to fire when the LAT hit the target.

By playng Militia / Insurg: Here the fun begin! As SL i tend to take 1 LAT and 1 SPG techie. The SPG take one 3 ppl on board (one of theme is the LAT) then stay hidden and wait while the rest of the squad do theyr thing. As soon a wild vehicle appear i spot the location and tell to the crew where to approach...if the plan goes right this can pretty one shot anithyng from the BTR-80 and above, dammage havly the 82A and can panic the Stryker.

Or if the APC get to close i tend to ask a smoke screen on it (since they don't have the thermal oiptic yet) and send the scout to place the IED. When it detonate the LAT can end the job (one IED leave 1/4 of healt on the stryker).

Or if i'm so lucky to have the HAT and the LAT...well every vehicle is doomes!^_^

What I've been seeing recently is several LAT's from different squads running all together autonomously the entire game and reloading off of a single lone ammo crate.

suds   

I think the SPG techie is one of the best vehicles in game. Speed, small size, long range accuracy and destructive power. I would be against any buff to this :)

As a SL i would ask for 2 AT at the start of a round against armour but allow more flexibility later as long as people respond to change requests. Typically a couple of AT hits can scare off armour so a single AT player who is capable can allow free movement of the infantry squad.

ZiGreen   

... Or we can wait until proper mechanics for machine guns will be implemented (bipods) and more kits get their specific advantages. Before vehicle era there were only two kits in Squad: medic and SL. All other were just a filler.

warrior6   
On 8/27/2017 at 6:14 PM, Covalent said:

There's already a plethora amount of LAT spam already, don't need to add more into the mix.

this won't affect AT spam because every squad will have 2 ATs like they basically 90% of the time always do. As long as the grenadier has less explosive rounds, the game will be more balanced with enabling squads to use more LMGs, recon etc. 

6 hours ago, ZiGreen said:

... Or we can wait until proper mechanics for machine guns will be implemented (bipods) and more kits get their specific advantages. Before vehicle era there were only two kits in Squad: medic and SL. All other were just a filler.

While I can't wait for bipod, a bipod is not enticing enough over an AT. you basically almost always need 2 AT to be optimal unless you are fighting insurgents.