ayumishinozaki

Able to hide your teammate's tag

I like to suggest able to hide your teammate's tag while hold/toggle sight down.  mostly of my death in the game is either someone's tag middle of nowhere and hard to spot the enemy while pulling security.

totally agree, I'd like to see an option in the game menu, to toogle nametags ON/OFF

coming from PR, I hate nametags in general, and hate the fact that I can see them even behind solid concrete walls, looks like I have X-Ray vision, pretty silly and breaks totally the immersion

they even render from great distances, so annoying, no skill required to distinguish between friendly or foe, just look for nametags and shoot whatever has no nametag, easy mode

when there are many people on a vehicle, it's just a mess, nametags on top of nametags... and more nametags

please add a toggle nametags ON/OFF Devs, it's not hard, you already have the code done in the admin camera, just copy and paste into the main menu ;)

Posted (edited)

just make them less intrusive, no need to show their entire name in full size a kilometer away (taking up meters and meters of ground depending on how far away they are), just show a small green emblem showing they are on your team, as you get closer, show their name.... and you could have a keyboard bound toggle...

Or it could be like a streamer UI option type thing, a minimum option, just showing little green icons, rather tahn full names...this would be nice...

Edited by CR1T1CALIRL

There's a command in-game you can use to disable nametags and the rest of the HUD:

DisableHudWidgets

It's by no means easy to toggle on the fly, but if you find the HUD unimmersive, you are free to disable it for a few rounds.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Arcapse said:

There's a command in-game you can use to disable nametags and the rest of the HUD:

DisableHudWidgets

It's by no means easy to toggle on the fly, but if you find the HUD unimmersive, you are free to disable it for a few rounds.

I do this often, and typically play with the HUD disabled 80% of the time.... there are only a few cons I can point out.

CONS 

1. You lose your compass bearing.   (teammates constantly ask for bearing beyond N,S, SE, NW, etc...)
  2. You can't see when flag is capped.   (You need to constantly open map or hear others say its capped, sometimes leading to your death.)
  3. Your ammo count is still shown but shouldn't be.   (if only there was a physical mag check) 
  4. If your a MEDIC your job is keeping your map open to search for wounded.   (Medics will have a tough go finding/healing wounded players)  

SUGGESTIONS

• Keep compass bearing when HUD is disabled. The ammo count is, but shouldn't, swap them.
  • Keep flag CAP/BURN indicator when HUD is disabled. 
  • Add functions as SERVER SIDE setting so everyone on server has same setting (controlled by server admin/owner). 

Playing with the HUD disabled is awesome, but it's an acquired taste. Some minor changes can make it a God-send. 

Edited by PROTOCOL

They can implement system like in world of tanks. You can see small icons when you are looking towards friendly and when you press a dedicated key you can see their name to know who they are. This way the annoyance of names blocking the target will be solved.

@PROTOCOL: you seem to want a HUD Modification (reduced HUD), rather than the 'HUD being Disabled'. "Disabled" would infer complete removal of all HUD elements. i know i'm being pedantic, but there is a difference ;)

in JO we had a single key-stroke to adjust PlayerTags from invisible to various visibilities - too easy!

9 minutes ago, LaughingJack said:

@PROTOCOL: you seem to want a HUD Modification (reduced HUD), rather than the 'HUD being Disabled'. "Disabled" would infer complete removal of all HUD elements. i know i'm being pedantic, but there is a difference ;)

in JO we had a single key-stroke to adjust PlayerTags from invisible to various visibilities - too easy!

I know what you mean, I'm fine with full HUD disable. I played all day today with HUD off  as usual. I was attempting to strike a compromise... should have leaned more towards "full server-side" HUD disable, so others don't expect you to call out bearings. I find it interesting that they keep the ammo count and stamina meter but remove bearings. Why not all? I'm fine with everything gone, but make it a server-side setting so all are on level playing field. Controlled by server admins/owner. Those that want this pure experience will choose servers running No HUD settings. That would be the only place I frequent. 

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, PROTOCOL said:

... should have leaned more towards "full server-side" HUD disable, so others don't expect you to call out bearings.

I find it interesting that they keep the ammo count and stamina meter but remove bearings. Why not all?

I'm fine with everything gone, but make it a server-side setting so all are on level playing field. Controlled by server admins/owner.

Those that want this pure (Ed: MMORPG) experience will choose servers running No HUD settings. That would be the only place I frequent. 

ServerSide control would be best i reckon, yeah - for exactly that reason.

Yeah i think they don't go full-monty because BF/PR roots of their (& communities) gaming experience would lock them into favouring Arcade before RPG (lots of threads on these here forums pertaining to wanting "realism" yet actually asking for it in the form of teleporters or ammo-bags (etc.) <!=realz>, due mainly i think to their BF heratage).

and yeah, apart from asymetrical game style, there should be some kind of playfield smoothing for things like this.

ps: yer keen as, mate. must take a lot of getting used to - running without any HUD <TwoThumbsUp> for havin' a go.

Edited by LaughingJack

I would like to see the tag as a different colour when down.. atm if someone is down they look like they are still alive in the hud and if enemy is lying on them or standing behind them it does get confusing, .. only issue is it would then give everybody the same buff as the medic in the hud though.. .. so not sure...

I know that this is has been suggested many times before but in my opinion name tags should be gone completely after playing a certain amout of hours , name tags should only appear by aiming at dierctly at a teammate ( which shouldn't be immersion breaking since with the new animation system we will have our weapon lowered most of the time and we will have free look so just putting the teammate at the center of the screen should reavel his name tag after a very short while (with the great idea people suggested that name should be red if incapacitated and black if he is dead , and in my opinion when medics look at other soilder they should see a picture of thier class aswell so they can know how to better "waste" their revives .... Ofcourse it could be a server option but i personally hate name tags and i think that expierenced players should have it easier  recognzing targets by looks , and that make spotters alot more important and make coordination more effictive.

DEVs, please, give us a way to disable nametags... either a option in the main menu like I suggested before, or you can implement that in the "streamer mode"... or even a console option which disables it, like "AdminHideTags 1"

thanks!

Are we going to have to keep seeing nametags through walls and essentially outside of visually range?  I hope not.  

Also, as I posted elsewhere here, Id like to see nametags show USA, INS, RUS, instead of player names when that player is too far off for you to see their "face" and ID them. Once they are close, then you see their nametag.  How could you know that blob out at 500 yards is "JOEBOB"?  Just show USA etc. 

Edited by Overwatch
poorly worded

33 minutes ago, Overwatch said:

Kinda ruins players who are trying to sneak up. 

i don't get this bit.

On 9/7/2017 at 7:21 PM, LaughingJack said:

i don't get this bit.

So, to clarify my poorly worded post....

Seeing nametags through walls as it is now, hurts gameplay.  If I hear enemy creeping up or activity just outside a building or on the other side of a wall, I can see a nametag by mousing over. No nametag?  Enemy.  Id love to see this changed to no nametags unless  you mouse on them AND have line of sight. 

2 hours ago, Overwatch said:

Seeing nametags through walls as it is now, hurts gameplay.  If I hear enemy creeping up or activity just outside a building or on the other side of a wall, I can see a nametag by mousing over. No nametag?  Enemy.  Id love to see this changed to no nametags unless  you mouse on them AND have line of sight. 

+1 for that 

I would love if they removed nametags when a player is dead, unless one is a medic. Makes it hard to shoot the enemy that killed your comrade.

Wald

Agreed. Line of sight and within a reasonable proximity only and once they are down, no name tag, or greyed out, highly transparent, something like that. 

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:38 AM, Overwatch said:

this is a good point but you just check your map in that case so nothing changes...  I would remove everyone from the active map and only allow SLs to see movement on the map always seems odd that we go for a bit of realism yet we have effectively a mode that allows us to see what other squads are doing... (which might help stop some of the saltiness from back seat driving SLs who put comments in chat).

Edited by embecmom