Gatzby

Alpha 9.8 Release

Anyone else noticing lots of random bodies flying through the skies? Like more than usual? Also levitating bodies and guns just sitting about 50 meters up in the air?

*Next 6 months*

Squad Update 9.9

Squad Update 9.91

*4 months later*

Squad update 9.991

*sometime in 3 years*

Squad Update 10.0

32 minutes ago, winterfell said:

*Next 6 months*

Squad Update 9.9

Squad Update 9.91

*4 months later*

Squad update 9.991

*sometime in 3 years*

Squad Update 10.0

Yeep, after that the optimizations...

1 hour ago, Dundish said:

Yeep, after that the optimizations...

Optimization? Waht ish dis?

2 hours ago, winterfell said:

*Next 6 months*

Squad Update 9.9

Squad Update 9.91

*4 months later*

Squad update 9.991

*sometime in 3 years*

Squad Update 10.0

You must be new to Squad lol

8 hours ago, -MG said:

You must be new to Squad lol

Nope quite the opposite 

I remember back in the day they actually had monthly or bimonthly updates and gave a monthly recap every month and that was BEFORE they made a shit ton of money from this game

Somehow they have increased the funds for the game and added more developers yet the progress has slowed down to a crawl

and before i get the generic "Stop bitching its early access" I understand that but criticism is needed  

13 minutes ago, winterfell said:

and before i get the generic "Stop bitching its early access" I understand that but criticism is needed  

Constructive criticism is needed :)

maxresdefault.jpg

5 hours ago, winterfell said:

Somehow they have increased the funds for the game and added more developers yet the progress has slowed down to a crawl

I think it's more todo with what they are developing, and how that appears to us.

From what I can tell theres been alot of effort in updating the game engine (now done), the new animation system (a big job) etc, I can't pretend to know how long these things take re the complexity and sheer work load as I am not a games developer.

Waiting for what we want can be hard sometimes, I have gotten bored of Squad from time to time (but I play an insane amount so this is to be expected). I just take a little break - play some Rust and return and all is well.

I think we have been very lucky with OWI and Squad and long may that last.

Just keep calm and play something else in the meantime , Investing ie EA Titels is always a bit of risk ;-)

I log after every update check if Performance and game feeling  finaly is at a acceptable manner for my taste  and log off if not.

8 hours ago, winterfell said:

Nope quite the opposite 

I remember back in the day they actually had monthly or bimonthly updates and gave a monthly recap every month and that was BEFORE they made a shit ton of money from this game

If you're not new, you'd now they're working on ALOT.

UK faction (Rifle, LMG, pistol,Nade, optics, Truck and other vehicles we might not know about yet)
Tanks 
ZU23
RPG 29
Javelin
Blackhawk
Tow system
RPG 26
Animation overhaul
Freelook
inventory system

From 7th of aughust 2016 till now they released;

11 vehicles + different variations of it.
3+ maps ?
Mortars 

Mines
IEDS
FOB emplacements
Graphical tweaks to the UI, game menu
Penetration
Lighting changes
Particle effects
Optimizations

Reason this stage takes long is becuz it'll be a big overhaul from what it currently is. And you gotta give them props for releasing stuff in the meanwhile while working on a larger update. With a small team and limited funds OWI is not Rockstar or EA with a $5M studio and 200+ people each doing their own task. 

If you think texturing, 3d modeling, rigging, programming something and making it look as realistic as possible is all done in 1 month you're seriously mistaken. Just saying, from All alpha games i own, Squad is the most consistent and transparant imo.

10 hours ago, winterfell said:

".......and that was BEFORE they made a shit ton of money from this game."

"Somehow they have increased the funds for the game..."

Pardon me, but these these seem to be very inflammatory and also vague assertions on your part. This seems to go way beyond "Constructive Criticism".

I'm really curious how you're privy to the financials of a privately owned Canadian company?

Please provide links to validate your assertions otherwise I think it's your responsibility to edit or delete them.

On 8/25/2017 at 6:26 PM, Spenny said:

My guess is LOD = Level of Detail

"Improved animation Level Of Detailing settings"

just a guess.

Might be large due to addition of volumetric fog in UE4 4.16.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Support/Builds/ReleaseNotes/4_16/

Heh, yep, we debated this one for awhile, and deciding lodding, short of Level of Detailing, made just as much sense as LOD-ing, or LODing. Mostly we decided neologisms are fun and confusing, though. Hopefully the mention of LOD a line or two above helps clarify. =)

On 8/26/2017 at 8:06 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

Anyone else noticing lots of random bodies flying through the skies? Like more than usual? Also levitating bodies and guns just sitting about 50 meters up in the air?

I know for sure of one issue with ragdolling bodies and a vehicle that's being hunted by QA; that should be squashed soon. However, not sure it would cause "lots of random bodies," so keep us updated if you notice anything more! Much appreciated.

5 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

From what I can tell theres been alot of effort in updating the game engine (now done), the new animation system (a big job) etc, I can't pretend to know how long these things take re the complexity and sheer work load as I am not a games developer.

Yep, this is a good summary. We're still working hard on everything -- animation system being a big focus, of course -- but the engine updates did take some time. The benefits to updating the engine were significant enough to do, though. 

There was also a company holiday, where OWI forces the developers out of their hamster cages and into the sunlight for a bit. They took the last monthly recap with them as a snackrifice, but we're currently working on the next one. =) We've sprayed it with bitter apple spray so it doesn't get eaten again.

I would definitely encourage folks to follow us on Twitter and Facebook, where you may catch some sweet, sweet leeks. Lately, we've been on track for some heavy metal.

5 hours ago, Gatzby said:

I would definitely encourage folks to follow us on Twitter and Facebook, where you may catch some sweet, sweet leeks. Lately, we've been on track for some heavy metal.

These puns are out of control. I call for something to be done!

12 hours ago, Psyrus said:

@Gatzby Someone messed up the link at the bottom of the article

8lgiKTpeS5ma5QNZB1JZgg.png

Got it. Nice catch! Made it a more direct link, too.

22 hours ago, Gatzby said:

~Snip~

This heavy metal? Belongs to a T-90A...

IMG_3887.JPG

17 hours ago, IronComatose said:

These puns are out of control. I call for something to be done!

2 hours ago, SonofMarsV said:

Anyone experience any invisible players after being revived?

Yup, once or twice that I can recall...

On 28.08.2017 at 5:38 PM, -MG said:

If you're not new, you'd now they're working on ALOT.

UK faction (Rifle, LMG, pistol,Nade, optics, Truck and other vehicles we might not know about yet)
Tanks 
ZU23
RPG 29
Javelin
Blackhawk
Tow system
RPG 26
Animation overhaul
Freelook
inventory system

From 7th of aughust 2016 till now they released;

11 vehicles + different variations of it.
3+ maps ?
Mortars 

Mines
IEDS
FOB emplacements
Graphical tweaks to the UI, game menu
Penetration
Lighting changes
Particle effects
Optimizations

Reason this stage takes long is becuz it'll be a big overhaul from what it currently is. And you gotta give them props for releasing stuff in the meanwhile while working on a larger update. With a small team and limited funds OWI is not Rockstar or EA with a $5M studio and 200+ people each doing their own task. 

If you think texturing, 3d modeling, rigging, programming something and making it look as realistic as possible is all done in 1 month you're seriously mistaken. Just saying, from All alpha games i own, Squad is the most consistent and transparant imo.

They are working for UK faction for 1 year, are you kidding us?

At v10 you will not see any heli so don't count, may be we can see after 6 months "hard work"

and working for animation since February (seven big months) , so do you think that they are working really hard?

Edited by Togisan

2 hours ago, Togisan said:

They are working for UK faction for 1 year, are you kidding us?

At v10 you will not see any heli so don't count, may be we can see after 6 months "hard work"

and working for animation since February (seven big months) , so do you think that they are working really hard?

The Devs work pretty hard. Recently they just went and pushed through two Unreal Engine builds, just to make sure v10 and future updates are a smooth experience and have some nice new goodies in it. With Engine upgrades, comes going over and redoing code etc Making sure no current game features get broken with an engine update, while updating WIP features with the new stuff in new engine builds. It takes a lot of time. 

The UK faction will come when it comes. There's no real point releasing the U.K faction before V10, as that would mean the weapons etc would have to be done on both the old animation system and the new animation system, double the work and resources.

You have to remember OWI is a 30 - 40 man team, with quite a few of them having two jobs, studying etc They're doing a great job for the teams size. They recently just hired 8 new Devs - x4 Programmers, x2 Environmental artist, x1 general artist and x1 technical engineer to help speed things up.

I'd also like you to read over these rules

Spoiler

§1 Show Respect

This community can only work if we all respect each other. To that end, it is imperative that any time you engage with another user, either directly or indirectly, you show them respect with the content of your post. In particular refrain from flaming, insulting, abusing, taunting, racism, and other similar types of actions towards other forum users.

§5 Attitude towards Squad and the Development TeamAs per §1 and §2, keep in mind to be respectful and reasonable, not only towards all users of the forum, but also towards the Squad Team and towards any ideas and content and the game itself. Criticism is welcome, but if it is not constructive and/or if it is offensive, the Moderation may need to step in. Please refrain from posting if you are upset, angry or drunk, or you may be punished for things you wouldn’t have otherwise written, which is not in anyone's interest.

1 hour ago, Dubs said:

You have to remember OWI is a 30 - 40 man team, with quite a few of them having two jobs, studying etc They're doing a great job for the teams size. They recently just hired 8 new Devs - x4 Programmers, x2 Environmental artist, x1 general artist and x1 technical engineer to help speed things up.

They get content inbetween still find reason to complain xD. Now if the devs didn't do that and only update once in a blue moon people will say Squad is dead. But how can you tell an individual that OWI is not Rockstar that has a 1000+ personel on the side with a sloppy 100/200 million$ to throw at game developement easly. And that recap are just showcases of what is down the pipeline to complete and not an actual ''next thing in the update''. 

some gun shot audio samples arent being played properly, its cutting really short, than only the reverb/doppler effect triggers.

very strange.

@Gatzby

more easily indentifiable on russian guns.

cheers

Edited by TDS