Assifuah

[Discussion] What makes a good Insurgency map?

Assifuah   

Currently working on designing a map that's based on a real world location with additions and changes for gameplay. I want this map to work well with Insurgency, but also other games modes too. It's going to be a big one and it's influenced by a couple of Project Reality maps! Baby steps first though.

Without getting too deep into it, I really like the game mode and hope it gets some TLC down the line, as well as more servers running it! However, it definitely needs some maps that are designed with Insurgency in mind.

So, what do you guys think makes a good Insurgency map?

banOkay   

Several chokepoints from BLUFOR main towards any objective, terrain that allows for troop movement without being exposed to any long range engagements where you can force close range combat, enough hard cover for good cache and HAB positions, open terrain with only some hard cover, lots of hard cover and no chokepoints out of INS main.

Connect chokepoints out of main with open terrain surrounded by troop movement terrain to more chokepoints and a good location for cache, repeat 50x and you're set.

What makes a bad map: too much open ground, any open ground INS needs to cross just to get from main, chokepoints out of INS main, lack of chokepoints out of BLUFOR main, high elevation positions where you can see whole map...

Edited by banOkay

Sahara   

Flank points, lots of cluttered materials for hiding IEDs, sniper holes in walls. Choke points as mentioned, small alleyways that BLUEFOR conventional vehicles are too large for. Etc.

Psyrus   

Definitely no caches in "the open", that is for example, a small house surrounded by nothing but a few trees/bushes, so insurgents have little choice but to huddle inside and wait for the grenade death, or spread out the defense and lose it to a ninja SL. 

In addition to the above, try to avoid putting caches on the outer limits of any building areas, it's much better for gameplay when the insurgents could be coming from "anywhere", rather than knowing they have to be north because the south approach is a barren desert (I'm looking at you, Karbala in PR :S)

Definitely give the insurgents enough logistics technicals, as they're easily lost and insurgents without fobs are just absolutely screwed (this is assuming that the cache spawn is no longer active in the future... although I suppose the GPO could be edited when that change comes through). 

IMHO it's alright to put a bit of hilly terrain around some of the potential cache spawns (that the blufor can use to set up overwatch of sorts) but if possible try to make it far enough away that it's more of a suppression tactic than a "rape everything in that city" (like in Op Archer). 300m minimum from the objectives would be decent, I would say. 

If possible, giving the insurgents two smaller "main bases" rather than one makes for a more unpredictable force, and also reduces the chances of gamey tactics of camping the insurgent main base with AT/mines etc. 

wingman9   

Complex urban streetscapes clustered around less dense urban areas always made great insurgency maps in PR. As bluefor, one should get the feeling that the city is somewhat impenetrable and odious.

Assifuah   

Cool, thanks fellas! Definitely nodding in agreement with the points raised here and it should definitely help out anyone looking to make maps aimed at Insurgency (including me).

I guess the final outcome will be all down to testing and feedback, but the current plans I have laid out should be decent enough for a variety of game modes, enough space for vehicle and troop movements but also sizeable enough to consider helicopters in the future.

10 hours ago, Psyrus said:

If possible, giving the insurgents two smaller "main bases" rather than one makes for a more unpredictable force, and also reduces the chances of gamey tactics of camping the insurgent main base with AT/mines etc. 

This is definitely something I'm considering doing. The dream is to have a couple of smaller Insurgent main bases on either sides of the map, but they will also be a little closer than the conventional forces main bases in other game modes. The map is basically an extended 4x4km area with the main bases for conventional forces being a 1km - 2km out for travel time and no chances to camp main bases from within objectives/closer compounds.

I want the map to feel a bit like Khamisiyah from PR, so I'm hoping to capture those vibes!

On 25/08/2017 at 3:53 AM, Psyrus said:

If possible, giving the insurgents two smaller "main bases" rather than one makes for a more unpredictable force, and also reduces the chances of gamey tactics of camping the insurgent main base with AT/mines etc

Great idea. 

Peerun   

I think a good balance between travel speed(depending on difficult terrain and general distance) is important for Insurgency to work properly.
Chora is a cluster**** and Kohat can be a bit boring at times.
Also proper cache locations is what's lacking in most cases at the moment. Again I'd balance it out. The cache can't be out in the open, nor is it good to have it in an obvious location, but having to clear a hundred rooms before you chance upon it also wouldn't be good.
Overall I think the cache should be spawned in a more or less homogenous area, that is to say, not in a single large compound next to open fields for miles around, but maybe in an unsuspecting alley or in a forest of no particular description. Whatever makes the cache location seem like it wouldn't be one is good.
As for the actual map the world is your oyster and I wouldn't hold back from making a non-desert map for Insurgency.

Edited by Peerun

Maybe multiple spawn points in the beginning of the round. If you have a bunch of villages, make most of them spawn-able with a timer. So that after like 5 minutes into the round, the spawns dissapear. This gives the insurgents much more time to actually prepare their ambushes.

Korengal-esqe :) variable height-maps, compounds, valleys, basically nothing flat and like said above, nothing in a hut surrounded by nothing. imagine a game of minesweeper building wise.